Alright - Super-Sportbike Image Thread™

Toolbox™

"Alright - Super-Sportbike Image Thread ™"

Put in images of Super Sportbikes please? I'll start with the bike I would buy purely because it looks good. If I wanted performance, I get a GSX-R1000!

CBR954RR_07.jpg

CBR954RR_09.jpg

CBR954RR_10.jpg

CBR954RR_08.jpg

CBR954RR_06.jpg

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Action7.jpg

Y2k04.jpg

Y2k02.jpg

(yes, that's the engine that's in it!)

Engine: Rolls-Royce/Allison 250 series Gas Turbine (320 hp at engine, 289 hp and 425 ft.lb. at rear wheel)
Transmission: 2-speed electric shift
Rear mirrors: Concealed TV camera (monitor in forward dash)
Dash: Digital with adjustable performance parameters

PERFORMANCE

Geared top speed: 266 mph
Tested top speed: 227 mph (rider comment: "It was still pulling, I ran out of runway!")
1/4 mile times: 9.80 @ 160 mph (test numbers from original prototype with single speed transmission)

Toolbox™

Originally posted by outside looking in

1/4 mile times: 9.80 @ 160 mph

The top speed is impressive but the ¼ Mile is not! I can usually run a 10.00 Second ¼ Mile on a 1000CC Sportbike that has a few modifications. :)

krusty

Window Licker
Ive never seen a road bike run 10 seconds 1/4 Toolbox

give us your 1/4 mile top speed man... I'll work it back

Bink

I just noticed JPEG compression does not like bright red. I had to half the compression on the red version of the Ninja image to get the same visual quality as the blue one.

Hmm...

Toolbox™

Originally posted by krusty
Ive never seen a road bike run 10 seconds 1/4 Toolbox

give us your 1/4 mile top speed man... I'll work it back

I'm not entirely sure about the top speed but it was between 215 - 220KPH.

Modifications to the bike was add 3 teeth to the sprocket, Rejetting the carburetors, removing the air filter, adding methanol to the fuel, lowering the front end, pushing the rear wheel as far back as possible and free flowing the exhaust. This is on a 1997 Honda CBR900RR.

Do the numbers tally? I'm pretty sure I would cover the whole ¼ Mile in about 10 seconds. The race is over on 4th gear! :)

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Originally posted by Toolbox™
Originally posted by outside looking in

1/4 mile times: 9.80 @ 160 mph

The top speed is impressive but the ¼ Mile is not! I can usually run a 10.00 Second ¼ Mile on a 1000CC Sportbike that has a few modifications. :)

That's because the prototype (that those numbers came from) has only a one speed transmission!. It essentially uses a slip-clutch to "burn off" some of the power until the gearbox is close enough to wheel speed to sync.

The engine has a maximum rpm of 52,000, so you can see why syncing would be somewhat of a problem. It's probably pretty sluggish feeling for the first hundred feet or so, since it will only be getting a few dozen horsepower through to the wheel. The faster it gets however, the more power it is able to apply through the drivetrain.

I'd guess that the initial prototype had a 100-200 time not far off of it's 0-100 time. Pretty damn impressive. I watched the actual test when they clocked the prototype (not in person of course), and the driver said that by the time it had gone a few hundred yards, it was difficult to hold on to, and the acceleration became stronger the faster he went.

If we could see all the 0-xx times, it would probably look more and more impressive the higher the xx got.

I'd love to know what their second generation version, with a two speed electronic shift transmission does for quarter mile times... probably helps out a lot.

unclehobart

You can easily get a drag bike to cut quick 1/4 mile times by mucking with the gearing. Top end will be sacrificed though. @266mph it sounds like he had it set for some serious top end. He should take that mutha out to the Utah salt flats and let 'er rip.

unclehobart

A nine post? Jebus. how the heck did that happen? Con someone sweep it up. I think I found one of those little null space coding hiccups during a mass site slowdown.