America- the new Roman Empire?

MrBishop

HGHWman said:
Traditionaly America has acted as a big brother protecting the weaker one. God forbid there would be an economic colapse, if the American economy implodes or no longer becomes viable the effect would be world wide, not a regional colapse.

Somehow, after having seen how often the Free Trade Agreement has been overlooked or twisted against Canada in trade disputes in order to secure American interests, I seriously doubt that 'protecting the weaker' is the primary goal of America as a Big Brother. Closer to the 1984 version, IMO.

If Pax America is used benevolently AND it's sustainable :shrug:

If it's not sustainable then...Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Somehow, after having seen how often the Free Trade Agreement has been overlooked or twisted against Canada in trade disputes in order to secure American interests, I seriously doubt that 'protecting the weaker' is the primary goal of America as a Big Brother. Closer to the 1984 version, IMO.

If Pax America is used benevolently AND it's sustainable :shrug:

If it's not sustainable then...Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

There is no such thing as a benevolent government. You ought to know that by now. :rolleyes:

MrBishop

There is no such thing as a benevolent government. You ought to know that by now. :rolleyes:
Isn't' that what Bush is suggesting?

We are all powerful,
we will fight to stay this way..
don't worry, we'll protect you.

Sounds good until the bill comes in.

highwayman

Then buy your shit somewere else..
Canada sets a fine example by selling it's subsidised lumber down here...

MrBishop

Canada sets a fine example by selling it's subsidised lumber down here...

At high tariffs...and additional fees imposed by...the USA.

After the DOC investigation ended in August 2001 the DOC imposed a duty of 19.31 percent on Canadian softwood lumber imports. The Bush Administration would later impose an additional duty of 12.57 percent that it called an "anti-dumping duty". The Canadian government appealed these duties to the World Trade Organization (WTO) which ruled in Canada's favor on May 27, 2003. However this ruling is non-binding so the American government was not forced to change any policies. The American government still has an opportunity to appeal this ruling. The case is being examined by the NAFTA dispute resolution body which can issue a ruling that is binding.

http://economics.about.com/cs/agriculture/a/softwood_lumber_2.htm

highwayman

Clean your underwear before you tell me my back yard needs cleaning...

At high tariffs...and additional fees imposed by...the USA.

After the DOC investigation ended in August 2001 the DOC imposed a duty of 19.31 percent on Canadian softwood lumber imports. The Bush Administration would later impose an additional duty of 12.57 percent that it called an "anti-dumping duty". The Canadian government appealed these duties to the World Trade Organization (WTO) which ruled in Canada's favor on May 27, 2003. However this ruling is non-binding so the American government was not forced to change any policies. The American government still has an opportunity to appeal this ruling. The case is being examined by the NAFTA dispute resolution body which can issue a ruling that is binding.

http://economics.about.com/cs/agriculture/a/softwood_lumber_2.htm

MrBishop

The point is, Highwayman...that charity begins at home. If the world thinks that Pax America will take care of the little guy (especially in something detrimental to the USA)... the world is mistaken.

If you think that America would take care of the little guy over it's own needs/wants..you are also delusional.

It's far too cushy at the 'top', eh.

*Yes, this also applies to all 1st world nations in regards to helping 3rd world nations.*

highwayman

The point is, Highwayman...that charity begins at home. If the world thinks that Pax America will take care of the little guy (especially in something detrimental to the USA)... the world is mistaken.

If you think that America would take care of the little guy over it's own needs/wants..you are also delusional.

It's far too cushy at the 'top', eh.

*Yes, this also applies to all 1st world nations in regards to helping 3rd world nations.*

Ahem....

Clean your underwear before you tell me my back yard needs cleaning...

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
In fact, the Roman Empire only imploded after it had been rotting away from the inside for some time, highway. I've been saying for years that we're doomed to a similar fate. Probably not in our lifetimes, but it will almost certainly happen. When the citizens are more concerned with their personal prerogatives than with the good of their nation, the end has already passed. Inertia and a lack of viable enemies will keep it going for a while, but eventually the US government will collapse under it's own weight.

True dat.

And I chart the source of the problem back to the 60s as well...the 1860s.

freako104

True dat.

And I chart the source of the problem back to the 60s as well...the 1860s.

You mean how we did not let you cede or the whole coming down to the South bit? I am not knitpicking, I am geniunely curious. And I do gotta wonder what Gonz will say about that :p

unclehobart

Indeed. I never bought the whole Roman Empire connection. We may be strong, but we certainly aren't alone. Collective EU Europe is on par with us. China is strong and can be a serious problem if they go nuts on the world. India, if it ever gets its head on straight, can be seriously powerful.

chcr

Too cute for words
Indeed. I never bought the whole Roman Empire connection. We may be strong, but we certainly aren't alone. Collective EU Europe is on par with us. China is strong and can be a serious problem if they go nuts on the world. India, if it ever gets its head on straight, can be seriously powerful.

Certainly it's a different world now but the similarities are still striking. It's not the same, I'll grant you but parallels can be drawn.

Contrary to popular belief though, there were powers in the world at the height of the Roman Empire to rival them. They dominated Europe though, and almost all of our version of history comes from Europe.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
You mean how we did not let you cede or the whole coming down to the South bit? I am not knitpicking, I am geniunely curious. And I do gotta wonder what Gonz will say about that :p

Not here, not again. That sword what Damacles used to tote around is suspended appropriately.

PM me your specific areas of interest and I shall be more than enthralled to provide anything you like.

unclehobart

If we are following a Roman model, then I can't wait for the 'Ceasar' to cross the Rubicon and set up the dictatorial Pax Romana dictatorship. At least we should then have 2 generations of phat before the Caligua/Nero psychos settle in.

chcr

Too cute for words
If we are following a Roman model, then I can't wait for the 'Ceasar' to cross the Rubicon and set up the dictatorial Pax Romana dictatorship. At least we should then have 2 generations of phat before the Caligua/Nero psychos settle in.

Caesar=Ike
Caligula=Billy the Blowjob
Can you guess who Nero is?

Who'll be Claudius is my question.

:lol:

unclehobart

Esienhower as Ceasar? Thats stretchier than saltwater taffy. Military commander? sure. Took power at the point of a sword? hardly. The following leaders were hardly other generals or related in a hereditary way.

I can almost make a better case for Rupert Murdoch being the modern Ceasar... certainly pro football is the gladiator pit... but who would be the christians thrown to the Lions... because I always thought that the Lions themselves were the said same sacrificial lambs. Its a bit of a paradox.