Another journalist found guilty of spying in Iran.

Discussion in 'The Real World' started by valkyrie, Apr 18, 2009.

1. valkyrie exile Well-Known Member

Iran Sentences U.S. Journalist to 8 Years
  2. 2minkey كافر bootlicker

oh those crazy arabs. what will they do next?
  3. randomJACKASS The Controversial One established April 2002 Banned

4. valkyrie exile Well-Known Member

Ah... I see what you did there... LOL! :lol2:
  5. Gato_Solo Bard of Mary Kay Out-freaking-standing OTC member

When you go to a country that is unfriendly to the government, you should expect unfriendly things to happen. :shrug: Pretty simple.
  6. jimpeel Well-Known Member

Wasn't that the title of that book the Shah wrote back in the seventies?
  7. valkyrie exile Well-Known Member

Ahmadinejad is not winning any allies with this action. And I agree, if you go to a country unfriendly to your home country... you are at risk of losing your life or liberty.

This doesn't mean our government (and other governments) can't work toward her release.
  8. Professur I'm just a fungii. Well-Known Member

Isn't it strange that they keep sending wimmen spies into a country where wimmen are treated as slightly less important than goats? A country where a woman even speaking without her husband's permission is expected to be beaten. Particularly under a guise that immediately draws intense scrutiny. You'd not think that spying while every law enforcement agency is looking for a reason to have you raped in the town square by a dozen goats would be very productive. Show what little I know about spying, eh?
  9. 2minkey كافر bootlicker

um right but that stuff is also very much under contention, with a significant chunk of the population very much NOT being down with the ayatollah.

or perhaps she should just be a good girl and not stir things up? golly, thems bitches that don't wanna follow the rules.. i tells ya...
    :lol2:
  10. Gato_Solo Bard of Mary Kay Out-freaking-standing OTC member

So...we need to expend our national resources to rescue someone who went somewhere that is on our bad-boy list knowing that that place was unfriendly? I disagree.
  11. Cerise Well-Known Member

But 0bama kisses ass so well with our enemies. I'm sure he'll make everything O.K. :rolleyes:

[IMG]
  12. randomJACKASS The Controversial One established April 2002 Banned

Maybe he did it because A. it's ridiculous, and even if a judgment is issued against Iran, they will never pay, there is no way to enforce it, and it isn't even the same people in power; B. because it is 30 years ago. Don't you think it's time to move on and not clog an already overburdened court system with useless lawsuits?

I hate to sunshine on your rainy day, but I have heard more than one Republican say, (and when I say Republican I am speaking of sensible, rational and reasonable people who see things clearly) that Obama is nobody's puppet and that is a fact. Just because he isn't initiating frivolous military actions like you wish he would, make no mistake, those Republicans who actually know something besides the paranoid fantasies and delusions you suffer from, know that if provoked he will take decisive action. I am sure whatever action he takes and no matter how well things go, and how successful he is it will piss you off, but thank God for all of us that your opinion is entirely irrelevant, except on election days. That really goes for everyone here.

:lol2:
  13. Cerise Well-Known Member

Another slap in the face for the US from 0bama. Maybe he will pay Iran for their stress over the lawsuit all these years.

Keep the lawsuit.

[IMG]

Dump the empty suit.
  14. Inkara1 To err is human. To arr is pirate. Well-Known Member

So how long do you think her hunger strike will keep going? She's at, what, a week so far?

I would really be jonesing for a cheeseburger or some tacos right about now, that's for sure.
  15. Cerise Well-Known Member

She has to have water, at least.
  16. randomJACKASS The Controversial One established April 2002 Banned

How about I sue you Cerise for saying such dumb ass things and shaking my faith in human kind? It's just about as ridiculous, but what the hell....Watch out you might get served soon!
  17. valkyrie exile Well-Known Member

?????? Wow, I'm confused.
    This is what I wrote:
    In response to what you wrote here...
    Working towards someone's release doesn't mean sending in the Marines to go rescue her. Bush tried to have Ayman Nour released from prison in Egypt. OK, so it took the Obama administration to make it happen, but the effort was there on Bush's part and I give that credit to him. Possibly Driven by U.S. Pressure, Egypt Frees No. 1 Political Prisoner

Anyway, my point is that there is no harm in sending someone to discuss the release of an American citizen who was unjustly imprisoned in a foreign country.
  18. valkyrie exile Well-Known Member

The common answer is 4 to 6 weeks, depending on the person's health prior to the beginning of the hunger strike. Most people who undergo a hunger strike will take in water because the human body can not last more than 3 to 5 days without water.

Mohandas Gandhi went on a hunger strike for 21 days at the age of 70. He sustained himself with water mixed with something, but I can't recall what (it might have been cow's milk or something).
  19. randomJACKASS The Controversial One established April 2002 Banned

You know valkyrie, the trouble that always makes so many conservatives inept at foreign policy, (and if you don't think the Bush administration was inept, either you weren't paying attention or just don't have the capacity to understand) is that they have a fight first, wanna be "tough guy" mentality and it never has and never will work!

Let me put it this way. If you were my neighbor and you had a party that went late and the music was loud, if I go over to ask politely and respectfully for you to tone it down, there is a hell of a lot better likelihood of my success than if I go over and tell you you you are a piece of shit and I am going to beat your ass if you don't keep it down. Now if I ask politely and do not get cooperation, then I am going to be willing to call the cops, to use the necessary measures to resolve the issue, and no more. But the chances are I will have a lot more success with the first approach than the second. I'm not some kind of pacifist that thinks that military action is never warranted, but it is a last resort, and should be used with great discretion.

This is what Obama understands, is that no matter what we think of another sovereign nations actions and policies, we need to treat them with respect first. The old adage that you'll get more flies with honey than vinegar comes into play big time. A bit of respect and communication can go a lot farther than threats in most cases. Another adage comes to mind though, one we have not been practicing but should is "talk softly but carry a big stick". I think Obama is doing just that. Bush carried a big stick and brandished it and all it did was generate ill will toward America. But we should always respect other nation's sovereignty and exhaust all other options before we use military force, but when we do use military force, it needs to be full bore 100% effort and as quick of a resolve as is possible.

If you had wanted a Republican in office who was capable of such wisdom, in my opinion, you should have supported Ron Paul.
  20. valkyrie exile Well-Known Member

Ah, Teddy Roosevelt... "speak softly and carry a big stick". He wasn't bad as far as presidents go, being a politician and all.

Did you know he was the first American to win the Nobel Peace Prize?

Ron Paul... hmmmm... he's too much of a nut. If he would just chill out I could take him more seriously. Some of the wild shit he says... I just don't know whether he's just crazy or looking for attention. Jeeze!

I actually had a lot of respect for Senator McCain until he ran for president. I might not have agreed with his ideas but he voted against his party when he felt it was the right thing to do and that gained my respect. Then I watched him compromise himself into a goose-stepping, Evangelical-ass-kissing, fuck-tard. When Palin was announced as his running mate I knew he had just been shanked by his own party. McCain actually had a chance before Palin was put on the ticket. What a freak-job she was/is. She couldn't present herself to be more of an idiot than she did.

Anyway, I digress... what were we talking about? Oh, yes... journalist imprisoned in Iran.