Another journalist found guilty of spying in Iran.

Inkara1

TEHRAN, Iran – An American journalist jailed for four months in Iran was freed Monday and reunited with her parents after an appeals court suspended her eight-year prison sentence on charges of spying for the U.S. Her parents said they would bring her home to the U.S. within days.
The release of Roxana Saberi, a 32-year-old dual Iranian-American citizen, clears a major snag in President Barack Obama's efforts to engage Iran in a dialogue after decades of shunning the country. Washington had called the charges against Saberi baseless and repeatedly demanded her release.
Saberi's arrest in late January, followed by a secretive, one-day trial and a heavy prison sentence, prompted sharp U.S. criticism. Soon after, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and other officials appeared to back off, suggesting the sentence could be reversed.
On Monday, an appeals court reduced her jail term to a two-year suspended sentence, Iran's judiciary spokesman, Ali Reza Jamshidi, told reporters. Jamshidi said she was free to leave Iran.
"I'm very happy that she is free. Roxana is in good condition," Saberi's Iranian-born father Reza Saberi said after her release.
"We had expected her release but not so soon. She will be preparing to leave (Iran) tomorrow or the day after tomorrow," he told reporters at his house in Tehran.
He said Saberi was staying at a friend's house, where her parents would join her.
The family lives in Fargo, North Dakota and her parents have been in Iran for several weeks seeking their daughter's freedom. At one point, the younger Saberi held a two week hunger strike protesting her jailing, but ended it after two weeks for health reasons.
The elder Saberis were reunited with their daughter at Tehran's Evin prison, where Roxana was held since her arrest. Outside the prison, Saberi's mother was smiling, while her father appeared overcome by emotion. They were later whisked away outside a back door, out of sight of journalists.
"She was reunited with her father and mother. They left for their house," her lawyer Saleh Nikbakht told The Associated Press.
The judiciary spokesman, Jamshidi, said the appeals court reduced her sentence as a gesture of "Islamic mercy" because she had cooperated with authorities and had expressed regret.
During the two-year suspended sentence she will barred from practicing journalism in Iran and "if she commits a similar crime, the 2-year jail term will be enforced against her," he said.
Saberi, who grew up in Fargo, moved to Iran six years ago and had worked as a freelance journalist for several organizations including National Public Radio and the British Broadcasting Corp.
When she was first arrested, authorities accused Saberi of working without proper journalism credentials. But when she was put on trial in mid-April by a closed-door security court, she was convicted on much harsher charges of spying for the United States. She was jailed in Evin prison, where many political prisoners are held.
On Sunday, a court heard an appeal of Saberi's conviction and sentence and her lawyers emerged saying they were able to defend her and were optimistic her sentence would be reduced.
The United States, several European countries and human rights groups had been advocating for Saberi's release.
"They (Iranian officials) surely must have felt the weight of international pressure," U.S. Senator Byron Dorgan of North Dakota told the AP after hearing she would be released.

link

valkyrie

I do not believe that she was guilty at all. The conviction, sentence AND release were all politically motivated.

She reported for NPR as an independent reporter quite often and I have heard her reports.

There are actually many journalists in Iran who have been lost their permits as journalists, imprisoned or have fled Iran because they found out that the government was gunning for them. Iran is not a free nation, although there are some who continue to fight the heavy hand of their government.

jimpeel

SOURCE

U.S. Journalist Jailed in Iran Released

Monday, May 11, 2009

An American journalist imprisoned on espionage charges in Iran for four months was freed Monday and reunited with her smiling, tearful parents — a move that clears a major obstacle to President Barack Obama's attempts at dialogue with the top U.S. adversary in the Middle East.

The United States had said the charges against Roxana Saberi, a 32-year-old dual Iranian-American citizen, were baseless and repeatedly demanded her release.

Hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad could also win some domestic political points a month before he faces a re-election challenge from reformers who seek to ease Iran's bitter rivalry with the United States.

Saberi's Iranian-born father, Reza Saberi, wiped away tears, then flashed a broad smile as he and his wife, Akiko, arrived at Tehran's Evin prison — notorious for holding political prisoners — to meet their daughter. Akiko Saberi, who is of Japanese origin, wore a flowered headscarf.

"I'm very happy that she is free. Roxana is in good condition," Reza Saberi said later at his family home in Tehran. "We had expected her release but not so soon. She will be preparing to leave (Iran) tomorrow or the day after tomorrow."

The younger Saberi, who was taken out of Evin through a back door away from journalists, was not seen after her release. She was staying with her parents at a friend's home, apparently to avoid publicity before leaving Iran.

Her release came when an appeals court reduced her eight-year prison sentence on charges of spying for the U.S. to a two-year suspended sentence, said Iranian judiciary spokesman Ali Reza Jamshidi. He said Saberi was free to leave Iran.

The court ordered the reduction as a gesture of "Islamic mercy" because she had cooperated with authorities and had expressed regret, he said.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said the Obama administration continues to stress that Saberi was wrongly accused, "but we welcome this humanitarian gesture."

The release ends an ordeal for Saberi, who was convicted and sentenced in a secret session by a security court. Her father said the trial lasted only 15 minutes and her lawyer was not given time to defend her.

Her parents, who live in Fargo, N.D., rushed to Iran to seek her freedom. At one point, the younger Saberi held a hunger strike protesting her jailing, but ended it after two weeks when her parents, visiting her in prison, asked her to stop because her health was weakening.

Anyone think this next paragraph could have had anything to do with this -- especially thethe bathing suit competition? She is nothing but a man tempting harlot who distracts men from Islamic ideals. She must be punished! -- j

Saberi, who was crowned the 1997 Miss North Dakota, moved to Iran six years ago and had worked as a freelance journalist for several organizations, including NPR and the British Broadcasting Corp.

She was arrested in late January, but it was not known until Feb. 10, when she called her father in Fargo and told him she had been detained. She said it was because she had bought a bottle of wine, which is illegal in Iran but available on the black market. Her parents decided not to publicize the news until early March when their concerns grew because their regular communications with her were cut off.

The next day, Iran's Foreign Ministry acknowledged her arrest, saying she was working in the country illegally because her press credentials were revoked in 2006. But when she was put on trial in mid-April, she was convicted on much harsher charges of spying for the United States.

The conviction and heavy sentence brought strong criticism from the U.S. and other countries at a time when Obama was reaching out to Tehran. Iranian leaders have given mixed signals to the U.S. outreach, sometimes appearing cold, but at times expressing optimism over possible talks. Saberi's arrest, however, was seen by many in the West as a sign that at least some hard-liners in Tehran may be trying to scuttle any overtures.

In the face of U.S. criticism, Ahmadinejad and others sounded a more moderate tone, promising that Saberi's case would get a full review on appeal.

On Sunday, the appeals court convened for five hours, allowing the defense to make its case. Her lawyers emerged saying they were able to defend her and were optimistic her sentence would be reduced.

Saberi family friends in Fargo were elated at news of her release. Last month, many had tied yellow ribbons around trees in the quiet upscale neighborhood along the Red River Valley to show support for her.

Marianna Malm, Saberi's former English teacher at Fargo North High School, was in tears Monday as she prepared for work.

"They are tears of joy," Malm said. "It's an overwhelming announcement."

Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., said Saberi's imprisonment "could not stand the test of public opinion."

"Obviously this means Iran has responded in the right way to this situation," Dorgan said. "They're moving to correct something that was a terrible miscarriage of justice."

jimpeel

Here is the ideal Islamic woman.

616_1241702404.jpg

Here she comes: Saudi's Miss Beautiful Morals

By DONNA ABU-NASR, Associated Press Writer Donna Abu-nasr, Associated Press Writer – Wed May 6, 3:08 pm ET

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia – Sukaina al-Zayer is an unlikely beauty queen hopeful. She covers her face and body in black robes and an Islamic veil, so no one can tell what she looks like. She also admits she's a little on the plump side.

But at Saudi Arabia's only beauty pageant, the judges don't care about a perfect figure or face. What they're looking for in the quest for "Miss Beautiful Morals" is the contestant who shows the most devotion and respect for her parents.

"The idea of the pageant is to measure the contestants' commitment to Islamic morals... It's an alternative to the calls for decadence in the other beauty contests that only take into account a woman's body and looks," said pageant founder Khadra al-Mubarak.

"The winner won't necessarily be pretty," she added. "We care about the beauty of the soul and the morals."

So after the pageant opens Saturday, the nearly 200 contestants will spend the next 10 weeks attending classes and being quizzed on themes including "Discovering your inner strength," "The making of leaders" and "Mom, paradise is at your feet" — a saying attributed to Islam's Prophet Muhammad to underline that respect for parents is among the faith's most important tenets.

Pageant hopefuls will also spend a day at a country house with their mothers, where they will be observed by female judges and graded on how they interact with their mothers, al-Mubarak said. Since the pageant is not televised and no men are involved, contestants can take off the veils and black figure-hiding abayas they always wear in public.

The Miss Beautiful Morals pageant is the latest example of conservative Muslims co-opting Western-style formats to spread their message in the face of the onslaught of foreign influences flooding the region through the Internet and satellite television.

A newly created Islamic music channel owned by an Egyptian businessman aired an "American Idol"-style contest for religious-themed singers this month. And several Muslim preachers have become talk-show celebrities by adopting an informal, almost Oprah-like television style, in contrast to the solemn clerics who traditionally appear in the media.

Now in its second year, the number of pageant contestants has nearly tripled from the 75 women who participated in 2008. The pageant is open to women between 15 and 25. The winner and two runners up will be announced in July, with the queen taking home $2,600 and other prizes. The runners up get $1,300 each.

Last year's winner, Zahra al-Shurafa, said the contest gives an incentive to young women and teens to show more consideration toward their parents.

"I tell this year's contestants that winning is not important," said al-Shurafa, a 21-year-old English major. "What is important is obeying your parents."

There are few beauty pageants in the largely conservative Arab world. The most dazzling is in Lebanon, the region's most liberal country, where contestants appear on TV in one-piece swimsuits and glamorous evening gowns and answer questions that test their confidence and general knowledge.

There are no such displays in ultra-strict Saudi Arabia, where until Miss Beautiful Morals was inaugurated last year, the only pageants were for goats, sheep, camels and other animals, aimed at encouraging livestock breeding.

This year's event kicks off Saturday in the mainly Shiite Muslim town of Safwa, and mostly draws local Shiite contestants. But it's open to anyone — and this year, 15 Sunni Muslims are participating, al-Mubarak said. "This is a beautiful thing," she added.

There have long been tensions between the two sects in the kingdom. Hard-liners in the Sunni majority consider Shiites infidels, and the Shiites often complain of discrimination and greater levels of poverty.

Al-Zayer, a 24-year-old international management student, said she signed up because she is the "spitting image" of her mother. "I'm proud of my devotion to my parents," she said.

What does she think of Lebanon's beauty contests?

"It's a matter of cultural differences," she said. "In Saudi Arabia, they are Islamically unacceptable."

Awsaf al-Mislim, another contestant, said if she does not win the crown, she will have won something more important.

"I will be proud to show everyone that I competed with the others over my devotion to my parents," the 24-year-old said.

jimpeel

I seem to remember posting a story about that yesterday at 8:39 a.m. (pacific time).

Yes, you did. Mine had more detail than yours, that's all. Is being first more important than facts and details? If so, you win. No problem with that here.

valkyrie

Was she any good as a reporter? Just curious.
From what I could remember of her stories I thought she was good. Not great, but good. You can find broadcasts on npr.org, but they are from July 2008 and older. NPR cut many of their reporters last fall (due to the recession) and she may have been one of them (but I am not sure).

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
?????? Wow, I'm confused.
This is what I wrote:

In response to what you wrote here...

Working towards someone's release doesn't mean sending in the Marines to go rescue her. Bush tried to have Ayman Nour released from prison in Egypt. OK, so it took the Obama administration to make it happen, but the effort was there on Bush's part and I give that credit to him. Possibly Driven by U.S. Pressure, Egypt Frees No. 1 Political Prisoner

Anyway, my point is that there is no harm in sending someone to discuss the release of an American citizen who was unjustly imprisoned in a foreign country.

Yep. Thats what I was getting at. No resources should be used to free anyone who goes someplace that is unfriendly to our government and gets themselves in a jam. That doesn't mean sending in the Marines. It means not doing anything at all. Thats what "freedom" really means. You are free to do what you like, but if you get into trouble, you are the only one who should be risked. Now...if she was ordered to go there by someone, then that someone, and not the government, should be the one trying to get said person out.

valkyrie

Yep. Thats what I was getting at. No resources should be used to free anyone who goes someplace that is unfriendly to our government and gets themselves in a jam. That doesn't mean sending in the Marines. It means not doing anything at all. Thats what "freedom" really means. You are free to do what you like, but if you get into trouble, you are the only one who should be risked. Now...if she was ordered to go there by someone, then that someone, and not the government, should be the one trying to get said person out.
On this little technicality we will disagree. There is nothing wrong with working for the release of a political prisoner in a constructive and diplomatic way. I can't think of any US presidential administrations that didn't participate in this process in the past 50-ish years. Other countries do the same thing.

Now... if that citizen went to another country and deliberately violated their laws, then they need to do their time under that countries jurisdiction. Caning and all (Singapore).

valkyrie

Looks like we've got a few reporters without borders types in North Korea as well.
Some reports have suggested that they were arrested while on Chinese soil.
I heard about the arrests but I hadn't heard that there was a possibility that the 2 reporters may have been arrested on Chinese soil. If the Chinese gave Korea the nod to do this this would further sour the already bad vibe Americans have for Chinese goods.

Gato_Solo

On this little technicality we will disagree. There is nothing wrong with working for the release of a political prisoner in a constructive and diplomatic way. I can't think of any US presidential administrations that didn't participate in this process in the past 50-ish years. Other countries do the same thing.

IMO, it doesn't matter. If you are told...point blank...that going to a certain place would put your life/freedom/whatever in jeopardy, and you go anyway, how am I responsible for getting you out if it comes to pass? You were briefed, and you downplayed the briefing. Too bad for you. :shrug:

Val said:
Now... if that citizen went to another country and deliberately violated their laws, then they need to do their time under that countries jurisdiction. Caning and all (Singapore).

Like I said. It doesn't matter. I'm not saying that she deserved to be in prison. I'm not saying that she did anything at all. I'm saying that she was warned. All you have to do is look at the State Department site on Iran, and you will understand.

valkyrie

IMO, it doesn't matter. If you are told...point blank...that going to a certain place would put your life/freedom/whatever in jeopardy, and you go anyway, how am I responsible for getting you out if it comes to pass? You were briefed, and you downplayed the briefing. Too bad for you. :shrug:

Like I said. It doesn't matter. I'm not saying that she deserved to be in prison. I'm not saying that she did anything at all. I'm saying that she was warned. All you have to do is look at the State Department site on Iran, and you will understand.
No no ... I didn't say there was a responsibility to get them out if the journalist is held in prison as a political prisoner. I am saying that there is nothing wrong with working diplomatically toward that citizens' release.

Look at it this way, she's a US citizen and paid taxes to the government. She should have some protection, even if it's minimal, in other countries. It shouldn't be open season on US citizens abroad.

Gato_Solo

No no ... I didn't say there was a responsibility to get them out if the journalist is held in prison as a political prisoner. I am saying that there is nothing wrong with working diplomatically toward that citizens' release.

Look at it this way, she's a US citizen and paid taxes to the government. She should have some protection, even if it's minimal, in other countries. It shouldn't be open season on US citizens abroad.

And the US has Iran on the list of countries that we have no dealings with. We can go around like this all day, but my point stands. The State department briefs citizens not to go there. That is the extent of its responsibility. If you decide to go to Iran anyway, then you accept any responsibility for anything that happens to you by default.