Another Obama "green" success story

jimpeel

What was that about Romney shipping jobs to China? Obama just ships the entire company.

SOURCE

Chinese firm positioned to acquire U.S.-funded battery maker A123 Systems

October 7, 2012 |
The future of A123 Systems, which received a $249.1-million grant in 2009 from the Obama administration and more than $125 million in State of Michigan tax credits and aid, is now up to a Chinese auto supplier.

Wanxiang Group agreed in August to invest up to $450 million to acquire as much as 80% of the Waltham, Mass.-based battery maker.

But shares in the company, which employs about 700 people in Romulus, Livonia and Ann Arbor, are now trading for 27 cents, down from a 52-week high of $4.44 about a year ago. It has lost $857 million since its inception, and $208 million of that in the first half of this year. Clean-tech companies backed by the U.S. government have been a target of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who accuses President Barack Obama of "picking winners and losers" with grants and loans like those to A123.

Now, the Wanxiang investment has made the administration's support of A123 even more sensitive.

The deal gave A123 much-needed cash to continue operating, but experts said the future of the company's manufacturing operations in Michigan is in doubt.

"The issue of having the Chinese come in after the U.S. has supported the company with loans is a challenge for them," University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute analyst Bruce Belzowski said. "Do they end up moving the plant to China? As owners they would have that right to do that."

Critics have suggested that Wanxiang identified an opportunity to pounce on a company with valuable intellectual property at a cheap price. Pin Ni, president of Elgin, Ill.-based Wanxiang America, referred questions to A123, which declined to comment for this report.

A123 CEO David Vieau told investors in August that the deal would "remove the uncertainty regarding A123's financial situation" and allow the company to "leverage Wanxiang's global supply chain and automotive manufacturing efficiencies to reduce our costs."

Wanxiang, owned by Chinese billionaire Guanqiu Lu, told the Securities and Exchange Commission that its investment would help A123 gain "access to the vehicle electrification and grid-scale energy storage markets in China."

Pike Research analyst John Gartner said that for A123 to expand sales in China, it would make sense to manufacture batteries there.

"Because of the weight of the batteries, it's much more cost effective to manufacture where they're going to be used in the vehicles," Gartner said.

A123's stock closed Friday at 27 cents, down 98% from its September 2009 initial public offering price of $13.50. Several executives have sold thousands of shares in recent weeks, according to SEC filings.

"It's not clear what the Chinese are going to get out of this," said Theodore O'Neill, founder of Connecticut-based Litchfield Hills Research and a former securities analyst who tracked A123. "There isn't any value here. There really isn't enough need for the product, and the product isn't profitable."

Battery companies have struggled to achieve breakthroughs and lower costs, which is necessary to make electric vehicles more affordable. Most consumers are still buying conventional vehicles that run on gasoline or first-generation gasoline-electric hybrids that don't require recharging.

Gartner said lithium-ion battery packs cost about $700 per kilowatt hour, but that needs to come down to about $350 to become competitive with internal combustion engines.

"It's really going to take the next generation of battery technology to get there," he said.

Costly errors

A123 is spending more than $66 million to complete a recall of battery packs it supplied to Fisker Automotive. At issue is a faulty welding machine at its Livonia plant.

After the discovery, A123 hired materials handler MPS Group to conduct the Fisker battery-pack recall, according to company documents obtained by the Free Press.The recall is not expected to be finished until mid-2013, and Fisker, which represented 26% of A123's revenue in 2011, may switch battery suppliers, Fisker CEO Tony Posawatz said Monday in Detroit.

Others are sticking by A123. General Motors, which selected A123 as the supplier for the forthcoming electric version of the Chevrolet Spark minicar, said it has no plans to switch suppliers.

But A123 has warned the SEC that there is "substantial doubt" about its ability to continue operating as an independent company.

A bankruptcy filing or Wanxiang taking control of A123 would stir further questions about the government's role in funding private enterprise, especially if it expanded production in China.

"The venture capital community has been burned just as badly as the taxpayer," O'Neill said. "This is a segment of industry that nobody's making any money in."
Contact Nathan Bomey: 313-223-4743 or [email protected]

2minkey

bootlicker
Still waiting for your comprehensive report. Businesses fail every day. Energy is a risky business.

Winky

risky hah boolshitte the only risk is whether or not Osama is going to threaten to bury you

Obama's Promise the Bankrupt the Coal Industry
bgb.jpg

Thank gawd after November 6th this klown will be finished!

jimpeel

Still waiting for your comprehensive report. Businesses fail every day. Energy is a risky business.

They seem to fail with frightening regularity right after this administration awards them millions of our tax dollars.

Solyndra, Fiskar, First Solar, SunPower, A123, et al.

That list will lengthen.

Winky

sounds like a smokin' deal
they kicked back all the money he wanted from them
then stole the rest
and got away clean
put it on the taxpayers dime
what's the problem?

Winky

I'm the kinda guy that says: getting Osamacare repealed, taxes lowered, QE3 stopped, regulations slashed and oil prices dropped
are more important than going after these criminals but...
wouldn't you like to see some of them go to jail and a portion of the funds recovered?
Oh and Osama's legacy tarnished?

hah, like any of that will happen!
Vote Obamney-lite on November 6th!

Winky

No Liberal can even begin to fathom what a laissez faire economy would look like.
The housing "collapse" was caused by government meddling, hell the entire economic
downturn has been purposefully extended by the current regime.
Only question going 'forward' is: will the tried and true policies that have always worked
in the past be implemented by Romney/Ryan?

2minkey

bootlicker
yeah everything is someone else's fault guys. external forces are moving against you and holding you back. you are not responsible for your own outcomes.

How's that Hope & Change you voted for working out?

things are working out great for me. business is booming. just negotiated a big raise + fractional ownership in the company. the person i blame for this outcome is myself.

Winky

Spike? what the fuck are you on about?
How does my outcome have anything to do with national politics?
How could my personal life be in the least bit affected if the country goes down the drain?

2minkey

bootlicker
of course your outcome has surprisingly little to do with national politics. but you sure wouldn't know it by yer daily whining and faggy doomsaying.

the guy in the white house will always be a compromise. you've been able to make a decent life for yourself despite external circumstances. why are you so angry?

oh, wait... yer retired and now you feel useless and vulnerable huh? yeah that happened to me grandpappy. his peter didn't get girls runny much either. yeah okay i guess you can whine.

jimpeel

i see you both like to fish for the bottom feeders.

Hey, you were the one who demanded an answer when you posted:

Et al? So what the additional members of the class be?

You got the answer you demanded; but you seem displeased that we were able to give it to you. I guess you thought you had a "gotcha!" moment.

jimpeel

yeah everything is someone else's fault guys. external forces are moving against you and holding you back. you are not responsible for your own outcomes.
things are working out great for me. business is booming. just negotiated a big raise + fractional ownership in the company. the person i blame for this outcome is myself.

Congratulations, and my wishes for your continued success.

2minkey

bootlicker
Hey, you were the one who demanded an answer when you posted:
You got the answer you demanded; but you seem displeased that we were able to give it to you. I guess you thought you had a "gotcha!" moment.

no there was no gotcha. your tribe seems to be focused only on the negative. whatever, but... very limited viewpoint.