another post about gay marriages... but this one might make you go "hmmmm"...

Professur

MrBishop said:
Genetic - there's something physically different with them. You're the one saying that it has to be fixed.

Neg. They're the ones saying everything else needs to be fixed. I don't see anything else as being broken

Psychological - you're assuming again that it's a mental deviation. Deviation from your 'norm'...and has to be fixed?

Is there any other definition for mental illness? After all, can't homosexuality be said to be self destructive behavior ... over the long term?

Choice - if they did choose it (which I find surprising), then who are you to disparage their choice? By all means...let them live with it.

Neg, again. I don't disparage their choice. I encourage them to live with it within the existing boundries of society They are the one's having difficulty doing that.

MrBishop

Professur said:
Wanna know the reason why they haven't done it? Because what's to stop every asshole and his roommate from declaring themselves common law and reaping the benefits? Nada.

Nada except for a few things
1) If they're a comman law couple, neither one can have sex with anyone else (even some hot babe that throwing herself all over them) because that would be adultery
2) If either one of those two guys met the woman of their dreams, they'd have to get divorced and split assets before they could marry the woman. Failure to do so wold be considered bigamy.
3) The Catholic church would never marry eithr one of those men to anyone else after a divorce because Catholics don't do that...
4) They'd have to declare tax forms as a married couple and get less taxes back.
:shrug: Nah..nothing stopping them at all.

Professur

MrBishop said:
Which line? ... ooh..forget about that. Erm... lemme think.

Nah...there's gotta be a line...never said erase it. How about we go back a few hunderd years to the definition of marriage then?

A few hunderd years? Cool. So you've no problem with me getting a few 10 year old girls knocked up, to provide more hands for the farmwork, do'ya? Maybe put the 6 year olds to working in the mines, don't worry, we'll make more before they die off.

ResearchMonkey

Yes,

I can't get blue placard for my car because I am not disabled.
I can't get social security because I am too young.
I get arrested for using the woman’s bathroom.
I can't be a cop because I am too short.
I don’t qualify for minority scholarships.
I can’t drive because I’m blind.
I can’t join the military because I don’t have a thumb.

MrBishop

Professur said:
Neg. They're the ones saying everything else needs to be fixed. I don't see anything else as being broken

Is there any other definition for mental illness? After all, can't homosexuality be said to be self destructive behavior ... over the long term?

Neg, again. I don't disparage their choice. I encourage them to live with it within the existing boundries of society They are the one's having difficulty doing that.

Hell, Prof...heterosexual marriage can be said to be a mental illness over the long term, and patently self-destructive.

It is broken. Look at the divorce rates and tell me that it's not broken?

Rose

Professur said:

Within the existing boundries of society? Society is never to evolve? We are supposed to stay within the existing boundries for the next 10, 50, 100, 500 years just as we are right now because the boundries should never change?

MrBishop

Professur said:
A few hunderd years? Cool. So you've no problem with me getting a few 10 year old girls knocked up, to provide more hands for the farmwork, do'ya? Maybe put the 6 year olds to working in the mines, don't worry, we'll make more before they die off.

Right...so we agree that we shouldn't go backwards with our definition of Marraige..How about we go forward instead?

Professur

MrBishop said:
Nada except for a few things
1) If they're a comman law couple, neither one can have sex with anyone else (even some hot babe that throwing herself all over them) because that would be adultery

We're now allowing gay marriage, and any sort of marriage of convienience. You think a little adultery is gonna matter to anyone?

2) If either one of those two guys met the woman of their dreams, they'd have to get divorced and split assets before they could marry the woman. Failure to do so wold be considered bigamy.

Marriage for convienince, dude. can you say pre-nup?

3) The Catholic church would never marry eithr one of those men to anyone else after a divorce because Catholics don't do that...

Catholics? Were we even discussing them? We're discussing legal marriage for the benefits aren't we?

4) They'd have to declare tax forms as a married couple and get less taxes back.
:shrug: Nah..nothing stopping them at all.

You might wanna reconsider who does your taxes this year, dude. Married couples can, and do file seperately if they choose. In fact, the only reason for them to file jointly is if one spouse doesn't earn anything. and even then, in Quebec, both have to file a seperate form. Wrong on all counts there, chum.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
If gay people want to be a legal couple and have the benefits of married couples fine...I don't think the government should be allowed to tell them otherwise. I think commonlaw marriages are stupid anyway! You want the financial benefits of being married then pay the fee and get married by justice of peace at the very least.

Should homosexuals be allowed to wed in a church? That is up to each individual religion...this "I'm Catholic and I want to marry in the Catholic church so I should be allowed to even though I'm gay" is bullshit because the reason they're not allowed to is because it's against the religion...if they're doing something against the religion then they are not following their religion and shouldn't be so dead set into marryign into it...the religion tells this person they're evil yet the person still wants to be part fo it?? I say THAT constitutes a mental illness...not the fact that the person is gay!

For the record...I think the Catholic religion is bullshit...I think most religion is bullshit...I do not go to church often...I do no follow rules of religion...but that doesn't mean that churchs should be forced to change their beliefs...if they won't let you do what you want then FIND ANOTHER GD RELIGION!

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
ResearchMonkey said:
Yes,

I can't get blue placard for my car because I am not disabled.
I can't get social security because I am too young.
I get arrested for using the woman’s bathroom.
I can't be a cop because I am too short.
I don’t qualify for minority scholarships.
I can’t drive because I’m blind.
I can’t join the military because I don’t have a thumb.
Ok, so you're a short, blind, white guy that's missing a thumb? And you still can't get a handicap placard? That is fucked up....

Professur

MrBishop said:
Hell, Prof...heterosexual marriage can be said to be a mental illness over the long term, and patently self-destructive.

It is broken. Look at the divorce rates and tell me that it's not broken?

Dude, just because more people today think with their groin instead of their brain, don't suggest that that should be the norm. Marriage isn't broken. People keep breaking it.

And, :retard: look at your parents, dude. Everything your Dad's gone through all these years. And yet, they're still married. Broke? I don't think so.

Professur

Nixy said:
If gay people want to be a legal couple and have the benefits of married couples fine...I don't think the government should be allowed to tell them otherwise. I think commonlaw marriages are stupid anyway! You want the financial benefits of being married then pay the fee and get married by justice of peace at the very least.

Should homosexuals be allowed to wed in a church? That is up to each individual religion...this "I'm Catholic and I want to marry in the Catholic church so I should be allowed to even though I'm gay" is bullshit because the reason they're not allowed to is because it's against the religion...if they're doing something against the religion then they are not following their religion and shouldn't be so dead set into marryign into it...the religion tells this person they're evil yet the person still wants to be part fo it?? I say THAT constitutes a mental illness...not the fact that the person is gay!

For the record...I think the Catholic religion is bullshit...I think most religion is bullshit...I do not go to church often...I do no follow rules of religion...but that doesn't mean that churchs should be forced to change their beliefs...if they won't let you do what you want then FIND ANOTHER GD RELIGION!

Got it in one, Nicole.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I believe people should be allowed to choose their own religion...choose what they believe and what "rules" they decide to follow...people should NOT be allowed to try to bully a church into "accepting" their way of life...they should not be allowed to try to change the church to meet their needs and wants...they should just go find another church who does!

Just added this so that noone thinks I'm bashing religion...it just isn't for ME is all

MrBishop

Nixy said:

OK...so homosexuals should be able to get married by the JOP?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Professur said:
Got it in one, Nicole.
I agree with that too, I don't feel that a religon should have to change to suit it's members. The traditions they follow are generally long standing traditions, with an entirely different basis for following them, Belief.

As far as the Gov't controlling marraige, first of all they have no business in it, but, since taxes and other things are dependent on whether you are married or not, I think that gays should be allowed to be married in the governments eyes.

MrBishop

Nixy said:
I believe people should be allowed to choose their own religion...choose what they believe and what "rules" they decide to follow...people should NOT be allowed to try to bully a church into "accepting" their way of life...they should not be allowed to try to change the church to meet their needs and wants...they should just go find another church who does!

Just added this so that noone thinks I'm bashing religion...it just isn't for ME is all

This has precious little to do with religious marriage at all. People marry outside their religion all the time...hell, I've got 3 in my church alone this month. People marry without the benefit of religion very often as well. This though...is not about whom may marry, but whom they are allowed to marry.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
MrBishop said:
OK...so homosexuals should be able to get married by the JOP?

Yes, yes they should.

I was just adding the part about religion because while I feel the GOVERNMENT has an obligation to treat homosexual couples as equals to heterosexual couples I do not think that churchs should be forced to...a church is a private institution...noone is FORCED to go to church...noone is FORCED to pay a church money...everyone has to live under a government of some sort though...

Professur

MrBishop said:
This has precious little to do with religious marriage at all. People marry outside their religion all the time...hell, I've got 3 in my church alone this month. People marry without the benefit of religion very often as well. This though...is not about whom may marry, but whom they are allowed to marry.

Funny. I thought it was about who could claim the spousal benefits. Silly me. But then, since that's all the difference between civil union and marriage, what else could it be (outside of just shitdisturbing?)