Anyone ever buy a diamond online?

AlphaTroll

tonks said:
but it's just not worth the money to me....maybe i've just been poor too long...i just can't see it...there is no way i could ever spend that kind of cheddar on myself.

That's why man was created - to do the buying for us :D

(But what the heck - sometimes a girl's gotta spoil herself & if I can spend 1900 bucks on a pair of shoes I sure as hell will fork it out for a diamond :D)

tonksy

AlphaTroll said:
That's why man was created - to do the buying for us :D

(But what the heck - sometimes a girl's gotta spoil herself & if I can spend 1900 bucks on a pair of shoes I sure as hell will fork it out for a diamond :D)
i'd rather have the shoes. :shrug: don't get me wrong...they're pretty...but...big whoop.

AlphaTroll

I guess I'd rather have the shoes too and cd's and clothes.....it's a long list before I actually come to buying my own diamonds :D

unclehobart

I'd rather have a nice clean band of some kind of unusual metal... a ring made from something like titanium smoothed out to look like polished platinum. It would be bold, indestructible, and a damn sight cheaper to boot.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
tonks said:
i had a spoon ring once...i thought that was the neatest thing...someone stole it :eh:
Guess that kinda tells you just how cool it was, huh?

AlphaTroll

Have any of you guys had mood rings?

Used to love mine, couldn't wear it much though 'cos I got allergic reactions to the metal used. Can't really wear anything but gold :eh:

tonksy

AlphaTroll said:
Have any of you guys had mood rings?

Used to love mine, couldn't wear it much though 'cos I got allergic reactions to the metal used. Can't really wear anything but gold :eh:
i had one...damn thing never changed colors...it was always blue.

unclehobart

Mine always went rusty brown to black. Every once in a while I saw a little block bobble to the surface that said 'all signs point to YES'.

tonksy

unclehobart said:
Mine always went rusty brown to black. Every once in a while I saw a little block bobble to the surface that said 'all signs point to YES'.
*groan magic 8 balls....i had one.

AlphaTroll

:lol: Rob

Mine used to change colours allright - most notably the colour it changed my finger, from pink to green.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Leslie said:
he should be alright there so long as he keeps the diamonds coming :lloyd:

Just curious, is there a set exchange rate for that, or is it more of a variable thing.

unclehobart

Dark blue: Happy, romantic or passionate
Blue: Calm or relaxed
Blue-green: Somewhat relaxed
Green: Normal or average
Amber: A little nervous or anxious
Gray: Very nervous or anxious
Black: Stressed, tense or feeling harried

chcr

Too cute for words
tonks said:
it's a clear little rock...doesn't even have a pretty color to it...i suppose they are all nice and sparkly...but damn.
See tonksy, a lot of women (not all, but a lot) go all week and wobbly when a guy spends a young fortune on them. I don't know why, but then I don't understand women at all. :retard:

Note for the record that I would certainly not buy a diamond online. Just my opinion.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Here's some FYI on the subject:

(1) Many online diamond wholesale or retail (whichever you choose to call them) outfits will send a stone or two to a local jeweler of your choice for you to inspect before actually purchasing. No money up front. Eliminates the chances of being sold something other than what you think you are buying... at least you have the chance to inspect it yourself.

(2) Online diamond "wholesale" prices are a joke. No better than retail stores on average, some much worse. Really. Didn't find a single "wholesaler" that was anything close to what I'd consider wholesale.

(3) If you need to buy a diamond (a decent sized one, at least), do a search on diamond wholesalers in the nearest big city. For me, that happens to be New Orleans. Call a few and ask if they sell only to retail stores or if they will sell to the end customer as well. I found a very polite one that agreed to let me view and purchase their stones directly. Prices at least 50% off retail. Beautiful stones.

(4) If at all possible, find a connection to someone that can purchase diamonds wholesale directly from New York. After scrounging through my entire families "people network" I found that my father was a long time customer of an Oklahoma diamond wholesale outlet, and that this guy was willing to send a stone to me directly from New York on consignment... several if I wished, with only a marginal fee for handling. Prices? At 1/3 to 1/4 retail. Probably 25% lower on average than the New Orleans wholesaler.

(5) I know Diamonds aren't worth anything like what they charge... but what's a man to do? If it truly makes her happy, it makes me happy as well.

(6) Unc - my watch is solid tungsten carbide. Damn near scratch proof... much more so than titanium. As a mechanical engineer I find that very cool, and due to the look (a polished smoky silver color) and durability of the metal I find it tremendously more valuable to me than a solid gold or solid platinum watch would be. I'm pretty sure I'll get a matching wedding band.

Summary - I no longer need online diamond recommendations. Having found a direct link to the North American diamond capitol, I don't think I can get better prices without having a direct connection to the European supplier market.