Area codes

Do you dial the full 10 digit telephone number for all calls?

• Yes

Votes: 16 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jeslek

Banned
Interesting question came up, and being in the telco industry I was just wondering...

Do you dial the full 10 digit phone number everytime you make a call, even if it is in the same area code? I do. Even though I'm in 905, I always dial 905, even if the call is local.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Only dial the area code when it is long distance, otherwise just the seven.

Jeslek

Banned
Well guys, its a good rule to keep anyways, whether or not you are in a big city. Its easier on the exchanger and faster too :)

PT

Not quite true, Kansas City, for instance, has two area codes, 816 on Missouri side, 913 on Kansas side, but since the KC metro area is all local, you still only have to dial the 7 digit number for anywhere in KC, Kansas or Missouri. I think it just depends on the city.

fi

In Athens, you have to, now. It used to be that you could just dial the seven-digit phone number, but now you have to punch in 010 all the time as well...

halamikage

Just the simple seven when you're calling on island (our definition of a local call) but anything off island is considered to be long distance then its 1, area code and number.

Jeslek

Banned
You never ever need to dial the full 10 digit number, provided it is not a long distance number within the same area code, and you are dialing the same area code.

For example, if you are 905-555-1212 and dial 905-555-9876, if it is long distance you HAVE to dial 1-905-555-9876. If it is local, it would be preferred if you dial 905-555-9876. But you CAN dial 555-9876 but only if it is not long distance.

PT

Now it used to be around here, if it was long distance, but within the area code, you dialed 1-555-2356, now you have to dial the area code as well, for any long distance call.

Jeslek

Banned
PuterTutor said:
Now it used to be around here, if it was long distance, but within the area code, you dialed 1-555-2356, now you have to dial the area code as well, for any long distance call.
Thats nuts lol

BTW fi, I'm kinda only talking about North American Numbering Plan... I don't quite know the ITU standards.

PT

Well, when I was a kid, if you were calling the same town, you only had to dial the last four. Owensville was the last 5 up til about 5 years ago.

Jeslek

Banned
Yes I know, although the standards have been there for years, only now are they starting to enforce it.

fi

LastLegionary said:
PuterTutor said:
Thats nuts lol

BTW fi, I'm kinda only talking about North American Numbering Plan... I don't quite know the ITU standards.

this I know... I was making a gentle point ;)

Jeslek

Banned
Justintime said:
11 digits here :eek:
Actually, anything from 2 to 20 or something. It makes me nuts to code for the International community, no standards whatsoever.

Example: (these are area codes guys!!)

0115932 - Ilkeston, Derbyshire
0121379 - Birchfield, Witton
01382581 - Lundie, Angus

Then you have 3 digit area codes, 2 digit ones, 4 digit telephone numbers 8 digit phone numbers, etc. :errrr:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Local calls are always 7 or 8 digits, depending on the city. Mexico City, Guadalajara and Monterrey have 8 digit local numbers, the rest is 7.

All calls made in the "county" are considered local.

To call to another city you dial: 01-(area code)-phone number.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
LastLegionary said:
You never ever need to dial the full 10 digit number, provided it is not a long distance number within the same area code, and you are dialing the same area code.

For example, if you are 905-555-1212 and dial 905-555-9876, if it is long distance you HAVE to dial 1-905-555-9876. If it is local, it would be preferred if you dial 905-555-9876. But you CAN dial 555-9876 but only if it is not long distance.

HA! I can now prove you wrong and show McMaster students are smarter!

You DO sometimes have to dial all 10 numbers even if it's local! In Brampton you have to dial all 10 even when calling another 905 local number, the same is true here in Hamilton (the area code is also 905, though it is long distance from this 905 to the Brampton 905).

From my understanding that was true for ALL 905 areas but I don't know for sure about that. I DO know for sure that sometimes you DO have to dial all 10. If you call across town here (Hamilton) you have to dial all 10 or the call won't go through, same is true for Brampton!

Jeslek

Banned
I always dial 905 because its the way you're suppose to dial. :shrug: Bell might be on crack, I'm not sure if they implemented the full specifications.