As predictions go, this one has a good chance of coming true

jimpeel

Let's hope that Tom McClintock is no clairvoyant. Unfortunately, he has precedent on his side.

No "green jobs" have been created and the unemployment rate is skyrocketing. The residents are fleeing in record numbers as California's economy tanks.

It is a good thing that the proposed legislation is named after the authors. That way, we will never forget the names of the people who brought this country down.

For those who will say that this is all scare tactics, bookmark this thread. You may have to come back here to eat a large helping of crow.

SOURCE

Waxman-Markey Is Our Smoot-Hawley

Posted 06/29/2009 06:43 PM ET

Following is the floor speech that Republican Rep. Tom McClintock of California's fourth congressional district gave last Friday in opposition to the cap and trade legislation that passed that day.

I had a strange sense of deja vu as I watched the self-congratulatory rhetoric on the House floor tonight, and I feel compelled to offer this warning from the Left Coast.

Three years ago, I stood on the floor of the California Senate and watched a similar celebration over a similar bill, Assembly Bill 32. And I have spent the last three years watching as that law has dangerously deepened California's recession. It uses a different mechanism than cap and trade, but the objective is the same: to force a dramatic reduction in carbon dioxide emissions.

Until that bill took effect, California's unemployment numbers tracked very closely with the national unemployment rate. But then, in January of 2007, California's unemployment rate began a steady upward divergence from the national jobless figures. Today, California's unemployment rate is more than two points above the national rate, and at its highest point since 1941.

What is it that happened in January 2007? AB 32 took effect and began shutting down entire segments of California's economy. Let me give you one example from my district.

The city of Truckee, Calif., was about to sign a long-term power contract to get its electricity from a new, EPA-approved coal-fired electricity plant in Utah. AB 32 and companion legislation caused them to abandon that contract. The replacement power they acquired literally doubled their electricity costs.

So when economists warn that we can expect electricity prices to double under the cap and trade bill, I can tell you from bitter experience that in my district, that's not a future prediction, that is a historical fact.

Gov. Schwarzenegger assured us that AB 32 would mean an explosion of new, green jobs — exactly the same promises we're hearing from cap and trade supporters. In California, exactly the opposite has happened. We have lost so many jobs the UC Santa Barbara economic forecast is now using the D-word — depression — to discuss California's job market.

Madam Speaker, the cap and trade bill proposes what amounts to endlessly increasing taxes on any enterprises that produce carbon dioxide or other so-called greenhouse gas emissions. We need to understand what that means.

It has profound implications for agriculture, construction, cargo and passenger transportation, energy production, baking and brewing — all of which produce enormous quantities of this innocuous and ubiquitous compound. In fact, every human being produces 2.2 pounds of carbon dioxide every day — just by breathing.

So applying a tax to the economy designed to radically constrict carbon dioxide emissions means radically constricting the economy.

And this brings us to the fine point of it.

When you discuss the folly of the Hoover administration — how it turned the recession of 1929 into the depression of the 1930s, the first thing that economists point to is the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act that imposed new taxes on more than 20,000 imported products.

Waxman-Markey is our generation's Smoot-Hawley. In fact, it's worse, because it imposes new taxes on an infinitely larger number of domestic products on a scale that utterly dwarfs Smoot-Hawley.

Let's ignore for the moment the fact that the planet's climate is constantly changing and that long-term global warming has been going on since the last ice age.

Let's ignore the fact that within recorded history we know of periods when the earth's climate has been much warmer than it is today and others when it has been much cooler.

Let's ignore the thousands of climate scientists and meteorologists who have concluded that human-produced greenhouse gases are a negligible factor in global warming or climate change.

Ignore all of that and still we are left with one lousy sense of timing. In the most serious recession since the Great Depression — why would members of this House want to repeat the same mistakes that produced that Great Depression? Watching how California has just wrecked its economy and destroyed its finances, why would they want to do the same thing to our nation?

Madam Speaker, this is deadly serious stuff. It transcends ideology and politics. This House has just made the biggest economic mistake since the days of Herbert Hoover.

If this measure becomes law, two things are certain. First, our planet will continue to warm and cool as it has been doing for billions of years. Second, Congress will have delivered a staggering blow to our nation's economy at precisely that moment when that economy was the most vulnerable.

jimpeel

Whether that happens or not, what is truly disturbing is that you want it to.

First sentence in the thread header:

"Let's hope that Tom McClintock is no clairvoyant."

Please try to read for comprehension. It is boring, yet somewhat droll, having to constantly explain things to those who refuse to do so.

First sentence in the thread header:

"Let's hope that Tom McClintock is no clairvoyant."

Please try to read for comprehension. It is boring, yet somewhat droll, having to constantly explain things to those who refuse to do so.

You say shit like that but the truth shows through. You despise Obama and the Democrats in office so much that it is painfully obvious that that "disclaimer" is window dressing. I read what you said but I just ignored the parts that I don't feel the truth of. Nothing would make you happier than to be able to tell everyone how you told them so.

:tomato:

Cerise

whgyo7cthrl.jpg

Ha! You talking about truth. :rolleyes:

jimpeel

You say shit like that but the truth shows through. You despise Obama and the Democrats in office so much that it is painfully obvious that that "disclaimer" is window dressing. I read what you said but I just ignored the parts that I don't feel the truth of. Nothing would make you happier than to be able to tell everyone how you told them so.

:tomato:

So it is your belief that I have this burning desire to see the nation thrown into a depression, millions out of work, whole families starving to death, the dollar become worthless, and the president claim dictatorial power just so I can say "See, I told you so!"?

That is right up there with your fantasies about 9/11.

You know Cerise, that "White Horse Inn" Christian thing really shows. Your hatred is palpable. That's what Jesus wants, you to hate others, right?

So it is your belief that I have this burning desire to see the nation thrown into a depression, millions out of work, whole families starving to death, the dollar become worthless, and the president claim dictatorial power just so I can say "See, I told you so!"?

That is right up there with your fantasies about 9/11.

Why then was no airplane parts at all found at the Pentagon? I really don't know what happened at all on 9/11, I wasn't there, I wasn't in on the planning, none of us were and none of us knows anything for absolute sure. I don't firmly believe anything about it. I just think its damn suspicious is all.

I do know you have this need to always be right and a part of you wants It I am quite sure. I am also quite sure that a part of you doesn't, I am just not sure which part has more control.

I honestly think you are a good person that wants the best, but you are so damn wrapped up in that you have all the answers its scary sometimes.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Let's make it easy....

Jim wants to say I told you so.

There, now how about discussing the actual post...

In fact, every human being produces 2.2 pounds of carbon dioxide every day — just by breathing.
:hmm:

Get a fucking grip, mark. You're starting to lose it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP164gIJaac

Sorry I didn't spell out that it's a reference to Andre Rieu's version of the piece. A very beautiful song. Ever listen to anything besides metal?

:rolleyes:

Well I always wondered, but when I googled it the other day it went to the radio show. My tastes in music are much more eclectic than you would imagine. I do enjoy a lot of hard music, but I also enjoy soft music. You know the one genre I like least is country, but I just discovered (where the hell was I?) that Lee Anne Womack song "I hope You Dance", and I thought that was pretty damn cool. I listened to that but I will say that most any music I do not like until I have heard it a few times.