Battlefiel 1942

unclehobart

Just bought it... with the expansion. I'll be loading and patching for a long while... then the inevitible 3 week learning curve. See you guys in a couple of weeks. *drool*

HeXp£Øi±

Right on Unc. You won't regret it. Let us know what your first impressions are before you get to good at it. As for you other guys(you know who you are) i'm setting things up now. Been a long day so i was slow getting around to things.

unclehobart

How in hell do you fly a plane? E to enter, w to throttle ... and then what? I've died more times than I care to admit trying to get off the ground.

HeXp£Øi±

I had the same problem. I think the defaults are set to
mousewheel up=turn up
mousewheel down= turn down
w=accelerate
a & d =pitch left and right
space(i think)=drop bombs
left mouse =machine gun
e=parachute(i think)

I still haven't figured out how you're supposed to drop bombs and actually hit anything when all you can see is sky!
So far the most effective bet for me has been to simply fly the plane right into the target.:D
I still have tons of learning to do also. It all seemed pretty simple until i got to the battle of Iwa Jima where you must hold a majority of stratigic positions at any time and i think you MUST know how to fly the planes in order to win this one.

unclehobart

The AI is rather nice... but either its really on the ball or its demoralized and wonky. When I did Omaha beach, I had 48 kills ...far outstripping any other unit. My support troops were like ninjas and the Germans acted like ill trained lemmings. I was getting pushed around in the Battle of the Bulge because the King Tigers can swallow a bushel of antitank unless you crawl right up his wazoo. I've killed more people with the piddly .45 than I care to mention. That thing is a lifesaver. I even used a knife on a tank ... just for that purist male rage Rambo effort.

unclehobart

Fiddling with an axis campaign right now. The German gear is sweet. The Japanese gear is so so. The Japanese tanks are lame as hell. They BOUNCE and rock back and forth when you come to a stop like a rusted out Packard... AND AFTER EACH SHOT! Zeroing in on an opponent with the damn thing is unnerving.

unclehobart

I was doing that as a Japanese assaulter on Wake Island. I was getting hammered 50/50 kill/killed ratio until I started respawning on the ships and just hitting the enemy from behind instead of assaulting the front with the rest of the group. I was able to sniper my way up to 32 kills for 15 deaths. That one ended up as a nightmare with 0 allies and 7 Japanese tickets remaining.

HeXp£Øi±

I was going to suggest turning the game settings on hard. Many times you end up winning the level when yo'ue sure you should have lost. I also 'noticed the same thing wth those japanese tanks. By the time you can bring the tank to a stop to get a clear shot at say, another tank he'll either have already spotted you and got two shots off(takes three to kill the tank) or some guy will have snuck close enough to shove a bazooka up, your ass.

unclehobart

Im running the latest patch. I think it might be because I forced it to accept 32 channel sound when it only reccomended 16. I think I also bumped all of the graphics to max and didn't bother shutting down my distributed folding ap. I probably was forcing it into memory buffer collapse.

I just played the Germans defending Omaha Beach. Lets just say that the order to release the panzers was given properly this time and that all opposition was snuffed on the beach.

unclehobart

Thats not it. I just reduced the settings and now it crashes every other time instad of every third time. I think the game just hates a dual cpu setup.

freako104

unclehobart said:
Is it like Medal of Honor? Hell... It sounds more complicated than MoH since you can drive and whatnot.

not from what my friends at school are saying. from my understanding, MoH(which i also love) is an fps. battlefield 1942 seems to be more stategic and though it is an fps, you can do more from my understanding.