Beer: What makes a good one, or a bad one?

markjs

Banned
Not really sure I can answer the quetion myself. I know what I like. I like a lot of foreign beers. Most notably I like Pilsner Urquell from the Czech Republic. Usually I can't afford that so I like a lot of things.....If I have a little money I usually go for Henry Weinhard's I like most of their flavors. But if I am on the cheap I have to say I like MGD (in a bar) or Pabst Blue Ribbon if I am drinking at my friends house on the cheap.

tonksy

i like stouts and ale's. not a big fan of lagers or pilsners but i do enjoy an asian beer when i am looking for something light.

MrBishop

Two things make or break a beer for me.

Aftertaste - a bitter aftertaste is a killer...especially one that lasts a while. Its indicative of a bad fermentation...too quick.

Mettalic taste to the brew. Bad storage, wrong mix whateverfuck...if it's got that metallic taste to it...something went wrong.

I prefer the dark ales m'self.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I discovered a new mexican beer, the brand is Casta, boy is it sweet *drunk*

Raven

Annoying SOB
Not really a huge lager drinker normally but when I do, the way it is served is everything for me. I NEVER drink canned beers/lagers if I can avoid it...they have a horrible metallic taste to it....draught beer is ok but I personally go for bottoled ones.

Also, I'm not a big fan of American beers.....some are drinkable like Miller, but I can't stomach the taste of Bud at all.....gimme a nice German Lager anyday :)

tonksy

what's the matter lager-boy? afraid you might taste something?

j/k i have a hobgoblin poster that says that and i just couldn't help myself.

hobgoblin! there is another favorite of mine!

chcr

Too cute for words
Being cold and in my hand definitely helps a beer on it's way to becoming a "good one." :D

Thulsa Doom

Had a great French "House Beer" today. Suggested by my local high end beer stocker guy. Who would have thought the French knew how to make such a good beer. Of course it is right next to Belgium...

Raven

Annoying SOB
tonksy said:
what's the matter lager-boy? afraid you might taste something?

j/k i have a hobgoblin poster that says that and i just couldn't help myself.

hobgoblin! there is another favorite of mine!
In an american beer? j/k :)

Professur

No damn preservatives. I'm an ale drinker. Never been big on lagers. No taste to them. Although I do pull up short at the stouts. I like a bitter ale, with some bite. I recall one beer in England that had to be a cream ale. You could feeeeellllllllllll it sliding down your throat. Definitely not one of my favorites. And a big ol' *yuck* to these new "ice" beers with no aftertaste. If you can't taste it, what's the point?