Berkeley, CA Wants Marines Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimpeel

Re: Berkley, CA Wants Marines Out

Obviously at least as much as went into yours.

You forgot "I know you are but what am I?" and "I'm rubber, you're glue ..."

The Constitution regulates handing out parking spots? In that case I imagine there's quite a lot of inequality in the way parking spots are handed out around the country. This article doesn't say whether there is in this case however. For all we know the recruiting station might have had one for some time now.

He is speaking of the ability of all people to have the same rights to free political speech. Part of that speech goes to access; and that parking space represents access -- access for one but not for all. Code Pink is a 501c4 organization by the way.

I truly don't expect you to get that, though.

Time for some more snappy one liners.

Inkara1

Actually I've used a similar quote here a few times before when specific Republicans show their disdain for the Constitution. Don't act like it's all original.

What you've done that was original was take the actions of 6 people on a council which have not been demonstrated to be anti-Constitutional and use it to make a ridiculous generalization of the entire "left".

The fact is your entire Constitutional argument is based on heaps of speculation and assumptions. Even if it was valid the only statement that could be made was "these 6 people only care about the Constitution when it's convenient" but you would also have to show them caring conveniently.

So really, how much thought was put into this argument?

Apparently I missed where you'd used the similar quote before. In any event, I noticed you said nothing about the rest of my post, where I demonstrated what the constitutional problems would be. I guess that discussion is settled, then.

spike

He is speaking of the ability of all people to have the same rights to free political speech. Part of that speech goes to access; and that parking space represents access -- access for one but not for all. Code
Pink is a 501c4 organization by the way.

Did you even read the comment above? Is there some evidence in the article that all people don't have the same rights?

Time for you to make some more useless comments.

spike

I noticed you said nothing about the rest of my post

I guess you missed this then.

"What you've done that was original was take the actions of 6 people on a council which have not been demonstrated to be anti-Constitutional and use it to make a ridiculous generalization of the entire "left".

The fact is your entire Constitutional argument is based on heaps of speculation and assumptions. Even if it was valid the only statement that could be made was "these 6 people only care about the Constitution when it's convenient" but you would also have to show them caring conveniently."

Since you demonstrated that there is no evidence of a Constitutional problem it would seem your generalizations were completely unfounded.

Inkara1

Oh, silly me. I didn't realize the meaning of your post morphed from a tangent about one statement, that being about members of the left playing fast and loose with the Constitution but accusing members of the right of doing the same, to some sort of response to the rest of my statement... and really, it's interesting how somehow the argument here has evolved from a bet that, based on the actions and statements of the council to a reputable newspaper, the council would deny the same privileges to a pro-war group that it granted to Code Pink, to me somehow saying or implying that the council's actions, as they stand now, alone have violated the Constitution. Off Topic Central, indeed.

Cerise

Oooh nooo! Backfire!

Some Berkeley business owners say they have received such a negative response from the recent City Council resolutions against the Marine Corps recruiting center in Downtown Berkeley that they may withhold city taxes in protest.

Ted Garrett, the CEO of the Berkeley Chamber of Commerce, said he had received at least 140 e-mails from people who said they would not do business in Berkeley in response to the council's resolutions.
http://www.dailycal.org/article/100240/business_owners_react_to_marine_corps_vote_

:p

A move to strip Berkeley institutions of federal funds is going forward in Congress in retaliation for last week's City Council vote telling the U.S. Marines their recruiting station is not welcome in the city.

"Berkeley needs to learn that their actions have consequences," DeMint said in the release. "Patriotic American taxpayers won't sit quietly while Berkeley insults our brave Marines and tries to run them out of town."
http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_8186256

Recruiting commercial--- interviews with the Marines and the Americans who love and respect them:

http://our.marines.com/cms_content/showblogvideo/rel_id/17/id/148

spike

to me somehow saying or implying that the council's actions, as they stand now, alone have violated the Constitution. Off Topic Central, indeed.

That's not what you were implying here?

"What's that? The Constitution is only important when it's convenient for the left? Sorry. How silly of me to have thought one standard was plenty."

jimpeel

Did you even read the comment above? Is there some evidence in the article that all people don't have the same rights?

Time for you to make some more useless comments.

There was never any inferrence that it was in the ARTICLE. It was brought up as a comment in this thread. You chose to answer that comment with an inane comment and a question -- "The Constitution is only important when it's convenient for the right. But what does this parking spot have to do with the Constitution?"

If you don't want the answer, you should not ask the question.

spike

There was never any inferrence that it was in the ARTICLE. It was brought up as a comment in this thread. You chose to answer that comment with an inane comment and a question -- "The Constitution is only important when it's convenient for the right. But what does this parking spot have to do with the Constitution?"

If you don't want the answer, you should not ask the question.

I wanted the answer, got the answer, and could see from the answer that there was no evidence to support any claim about caring about the Constitution.

Cerise

:banana:

Looks like the fur's gonna fly....

....WBC will picket the Marine recruiting office and Code Pink....The City of Berkeley wants more fags! They voted this week to boot the Marine recruiting office out of downtown Berkeley unless the Marines throw
the doors wide open to fill the Marines with yet more filthy fags! Invoking the wrath of God.

http://www.westborobaptistchurch.com/written/fliers/20080202_marine-recruiting-berkeley.pdf

Maybe the Pinkos and the Westborofreaks will beat the crap out of each other. :rainfrow:

Inkara1

This should be fun! :D

Of course, the WBC is entitled to a parking space and sound permit. Constitutional.

jimpeel

http://www.nbc11.com/news/15245031/detail.html?dl=headlineclick

Berzerkeley Backs Off On Banning Marines
Berzerkeley Mayor Apologizes To Marines Over Recruiting Center Flap

POSTED: 10:08 am PST February 7, 2008
UPDATED: 6:43 pm PST February 7, 2008

BERZERKELEY, Calif. -- As six Republican senators devised a plan to yank $2.3 million in federal funding for Berzerkeley programs, the mayor of the famously liberal city apologized Wednesday for his hard stance against a Marine recruiting center.

Two City Council members vowed to soften their stance as well.

At their Tuesday council meeting, leaders will discuss scrapping a letter that might be perceived as targeting the center or the Marines.

The letter said that the recruiting center was not welcome on Shattuck Avenue and that the Marines were uninvited and unwelcome intruders.

"That letter will probably be pulled back and maybe more moderate language will be put in place which is appropriate I think," said Berzerkeley mayor Tom Bates.

"Subtly stated in the resolution is perhaps an impugning of the soldiers fighting for us in Iraq and other places," Berzerkeley City Councilman Laurie Capitelli. "And that was never the intention but that really needs to be cleared up. As I walked to my car that night I realized I regretted it and I had made a mistake."

Bates said the city didn't mean to offend anyone in the armed forces and the focus should have been on the war not the troops.

"There's really no correlation between federal funds for schools, water ferries and police communications systems and the council's actions, for God's sake," said Bates, a retired U.S. Army captain. "We apologize for any offense to any families of anyone who may serve in Iraq. We want them to come home and be safe at home."

The letter was originally approved in January and has not been sent.

City officials said they got a flood of e-mails, many asking them to reconsider their position.

Councilmembers have said they would replace the "intruder item" with words expressing their support for the troops but not the war in Iraq.

The Republican plan would give the funds, intended for a school lunch program, UC Berzerkeley and ferry service, to the Marines instead.

"Patriotic American taxpayers won't sit quietly while Berzerkeley insults our brave Marines," said one of the senators.

The recruiting center opened about a year ago and quickly became a target of anti-war protesters including the group Code Pink.

Last week the council passed resolutions giving Code Pink a place to park out front. Some have said that meant the city giving was giving the group a place to continuously protest the Marines.

"What we're doing is we're announcing a bill that we intend to get on the floor to strip transportation from the city of Berzerkeley," said East Bay Republican Assemblyman Guy Houston. "What they have done in Berzerkeley is they have set aside a parking spot and in my opinion a public right of way, a public transportation corridor, specifically for a private organization -- in this case Code Pink -- to harass and annoy the United States Marine Corps and their recruiting efforts. We think that playing around and having an agenda with the public right of way is subject to ramifications. There is $2.3 million in proposition 1B transportation dollars. We think that should be in jeopardy."

Others on the Berzerkeley City Council seemed quite firm on their stance, NBC11's Christie Smith reported.

Sen. Barbara Boxer and Rep. Barbara Lee said they plan to fight the Republican bill.

Code Pink announced they would have what they called a "24-hour peace-in" leading up to Tuesday's city council meeting. They will be camping out but will have a lot of company. A group of pro-troop protesters will also be there.

"I was under the impression that we have the right of free speech," said Xanne Joi of Code Pink. "To me, I thought free speech meant you get to say what you want without recrimination."

Group members have made their organization infamous by intentionally getting arrested at protests and congressional hearings.

SLIDESHOW: Code Pink Images

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
As six Republican senators devised a plan to yank $2.3 million in federal funding for Berzerkeley programs, the mayor of the famously liberal city apologized Wednesday for his hard stance against a Marine recruiting center.

Two City Council members vowed to soften their stance as well.

How To Impact A Liberal, Lesson One: Cut Off The Government Handout - 3.0 semester hours

Fuggin disgraces to the species, all of 'em. Cram their miserable whiny asses on a slow boat to Afghanistan and make everyone concerned happy.

Cerise

I hope that means they will have to kiss their assigned parking space goodbye....

IMG_0749.JPG

http://www.zombietime.com/berkeley_marine_corps_2-1-2008/

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Isn't a recruiting center where people walk in to sign up, it's volentary, what is the problem? It's not like they are lying to recruit in highschools.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
See, ain't no damn way to make a woman happy. First they bitch cuz they can't be GI Joe. Then they picket because they don't wanna be GI Joe.

[Winkythink] Jes stay home an make de babiez already. Dat's a good wimminz.[/Winkythink]

Status
Not open for further replies.