Bish, I'm disappointed in you.

MrBishop

Yes...it seems to be right up my alley. Hadn't heard about this one yet. Happened yesterday and I didn't catch it. I'm still hesitant in starting a thread on it because of the "Too many gay threads" flack that I've recieved. With all this in mind...I'm wondering how long it'll last. There was one Bishop who was de-consecrated (asked to step down), for being openly gay. I placed the emphasis on openly for a reason.

There are gay priests in the Anglican Church...there have been for a long time. The difference is that they hadn't outed themselves. Their parishioners know that they're gay, their Diocesan confrères know that they're gay...but they're not out, so it's OK.

Some who have come out claim to be non-practicing homosexuals...they're still gay, but it's meant to be an out from being out. People are strange.

This ordination and consecration will cause waves in an already shaky Anglican communion. THe churches in the 3rd world will not like it ((“The devil has clearly entered the church. God cannot be mocked,” said Kenya’s Archbishop Benjamin Nzimbi)) but they are still very conservative and don't yet accept women as priests.

Certain conservative 1st world centers won't like it because of its break with traditional thinking about the evils of homosexuality. These groups fight any change in the church. It didn't have to be homosexuality, it could've been a change in the lectionary. When the Revised Common LEctionary was accepted a few years ago, they were out there raising their voices in protest. They didn't split from the church then, but this is now.

People take their church too seriously IMHO. They concentrate on the structure of their church as opposed to it's purpose. WHen church of more important that religion, you have issues. These people who concentrate more on the messenger than the message have forgotten why they're in the church in the first place.

Shall I start a thread on this one A13, or is this enough? ;)

deBish

Puma

Modern catholic or anglican churches don't work. For every 100 they help they hurt 100,000 and drive them away from christianity towards material gain, drug use, crime, or politics. If you want to be a christian you have to learn to not give a damn what the church does and that can be extremely difficult for young people who honestly want to give a damn.

AlphaTroll

The whole drama about a gay man being consecrated as bishop is rather laughable.

Blah blah blah, thank you very much for confirming again why I'm not christian you bunch of closed minded hypocrites. :rolleyes:

MrBishop

Puma said:
Modern catholic or anglican churches don't work. For every 100 they help they hurt 100,000 and drive them away from christianity towards material gain, drug use, crime, or politics. If you want to be a christian you have to learn to not give a damn what the church does and that can be extremely difficult for young people who honestly want to give a damn.

Pardon me...but what the hell are you saying? The church injuring 100's of thousands of people? Driving people towards drugs, money and sin? Let me tell you something...it's really quite simple.

Young people who "want to give a damn" need to learn to give enough of a damn to actually go to church...not jsut on Easter and Christmas (When their parents drag them there), but regularly. I've worked in several churches over the years...you know what the average age of parishioners is? about 65. How many teenagers in the church...almost zip. How many young families? - too close to zip to scare the rector.

Churches are falling into disrepair and the pews are empty...why? Because sleeping in on Sundays and watching cartoons is more important than actually giving a damn. You want change in the church? Attend regularly, get known, express your opinions, join counsels, vote at vestry.

MrBishop

AlphaTroll said:
The whole drama about a gay man being consecrated as bishop is rather laughable.

Blah blah blah, thank you very much for confirming again why I'm not christian you bunch of closed minded hypocrites. :rolleyes:

AT- can't be all that close minded...they did elect him. They also have gay-marriages in British Columbia and Ontario. Not bad for a close-minded organization.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
You make the church something other than a guiltfest, and I'll think about going more.

MrBishop

Professur said:
Bish, you're a fucking hypocrite. Last time I saw you in church, I had to drag you there.

Actually...last few times, I was at the one that I work at. Before then, I went to Ste.Marg's a while back...you weren't there, nor MrsProf etc...church up north I guess...

The point was...if you want to 'give a damn', attend.

freako104

AlphaTroll said:

i agree but remember they abide by the Bible and its supposed to have something like a man cant lay next to a man.

MrBishop

PuterTutor said:
You make the church something other than a guiltfest, and I'll think about going more.

Been a while, eh?

When you go to church, you sit/stand/kneel etc...
Sing a few hymns
Listen to the sermon about whatever the gospel was that week. (Usually a reminder to do good, be charitable etc)
Sing another hymn
Recessional
Go have a nice cup of coffee/tea and a few cookies.
Go home

If it's the sermon that oyu have an issue with, go to another church with a different rector. The sermon isn't written by the head-office, it's done by the rector. If you don't like that rector's slant on the issues, go elsewhere. There are as many variations on the sermon as there are stars in the sky. It's mostly based on the level of conservativism/liberalism of the rector.

It's not all fire and brimstone, nor should it be.

PT

Actually, it was about three days ago. Catholic church. We have these little verses we are supposed to say back to the Priest, "We are not worthy of your love" "I am but a sinner Lord." I think it's full of shit.

freako104

PuterTutor said:

most of Chrsitianity in the west is a guilttrip. at least from what ive been told(how i am condemed to hell and trying to make me feel bad for being me bullshit. im sure weve all gotten that).

MrBishop

freako104 said:
i agree but remember they abide by the Bible and its supposed to have something like a man cant lay next to a man.

Sure it's in there...but so are a bunch of other 'laws' that people don't follow anymore.

"Owe no man anything, save to love one another" (Rom. 13:8). - Cut up your credit cards
The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender. (Proverbs 22:7 KJV)
"If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as menservants do. Exodus 21:7 - how much can I get for her?
Leviticus 25:44 44 " 'Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

Exodus 35:2 2 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD . Whoever does any work on it must be put to death. (Lot's of stores closing on Sundays now, I'd guess

Leviticus 10:9 9 "You and your sons are not to drink wine or other fermented drink whenever you go into the Tent of Meeting, or you will die. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. (So much for giving wine at our company lunch-meetings)

Leviticus 15:19-24 19 " 'When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening.
20 " 'Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. 21 Whoever touches her bed must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. 22 Whoever touches anything she sits on must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. 23 Whether it is the bed or anything she was sitting on, when anyone touches it, he will be unclean till evening.
24 " 'If a man lies with her and her monthly flow touches him, he will be unclean for seven days; any bed he lies on will be unclean

Oh my...I've got to change a lot of things...how will I ever tell my wife about that one?

The Bible is meant to be interpreted. It already has been. It was interpreted during it's plethora of translations, edited several times by Kings and Bishops, it's been practically re-written by Popes etc...

Take it with a pillar of salt, I know that I do.

freako104

i dont even take it at all. sorry but i dont since it justified killing so many people and such. and people are choosing which parts to follow. its how it works. doesnt it also say Judge not lest ye be judged? and so few even follow that.

PT

I think the Jewish faith puts it best.

What is hateful to you, do not to your fellowmen. That is the entire Law; all the rest is commentary. (Talmud, Shabbat 3id)

MrBishop

PuterTutor said:
I think the Jewish faith puts it best.

What is hateful to you, do not to your fellowmen. That is the entire Law; all the rest is commentary. (Talmud, Shabbat 3id)

Realistically speaking, there are only 11 laws in the Bible and the rest are commentary.

The ten-commandments + The golden Rule "Do onto others as you would have others do unto you"

In other news...my GF/Comman-law/partner...whatever title you choose to give her refuses to marry if the words "Obey thy husband" is removed :) There are a few other parts of that ceremony that she finds offensive, but that one...she's particularly fond of.