Bought a car today...

MrBishop

A woodie!

Our 'building guy' has one...its a friggin tank, and although a wee bit heavy on gas, she'll drag around anything and anyone you care to put in'er.

Nice buy!

rrfield

That is a sweet ride. I had a 1983 Cadillac DeVille when I was 16 (in 1996), that was a sweet ride too. 19ft long and luminus.

Congrats dude!

Inkara1

chcr said:
That's the Olds 307, not the small block Chevy. Not that much available but I don't think Altron wants it for a hotrod anyway.
I thought GM had pretty much consolidated all the various engine families by 89. But now that I think about it, I'm trying to remember if Chevy had a 307 or not. I know they had a 302 and a 305, but I don't remember if they had a 207 or not. I keep thinking that's what was in the '68 Nova my dad used to have, but it could have been a 305.

Aunty Em

So... is ur local radio station putting out warnings when u go for a drive or what?

Though I have to say it looks a nice clean car if not quite what I would expect a 16 yo to drive, I thought you'd want something a bit more funky... Maybe some "go faster" stripes would help the image thing? ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
Inkara1 said:
I thought GM had pretty much consolidated all the various engine families by 89. But now that I think about it, I'm trying to remember if Chevy had a 307 or not. I know they had a 302 and a 305, but I don't remember if they had a 207 or not. I keep thinking that's what was in the '68 Nova my dad used to have, but it could have been a 305.
They had a 307 in the 60's. Replaced by the 305. Oldsmobile kept their own engines long after everyone else had consolidated. A contributing factor to their demise?????

Inkara1

I would venture to guess that a contributing factor to their demise was that they were selling crappy cars. By the time they figured out that import-fighters have to be like the imports they're fighting, it was too little, too late.

Altron

Aunty Em said:
So... is ur local radio station putting out warnings when u go for a drive or what?

Though I have to say it looks a nice clean car if not quite what I would expect a 16 yo to drive, I thought you'd want something a bit more funky... Maybe some "go faster" stripes would help the image thing? ;)

The picture makes it look bad. There's tons of chrome around the edges that you can't see too well in the picture.

AAnd it is only 140hp, but if you look aat the specs the HP peak is at 3200rpm. It doesn't have a RPM dial, but I would imagine that it shifts somewhere around there. Not like new cards, where it's like 300 HORSEPOWER!!!at 6,000 RPMs
Still, it's a pretty slow car. It takes a lot of pedal to get it going, but once it's up to speed, I'm barely above idle. I was crusin' around the neighborhood at 25-30mph without touching the gas, once I floored it to get to 30mph. I don't think I have too much of a lead foot... I get a little rev-happy taking it up to speed, but I stay within about 15% of the speedlimit, and I don't pull that shit where you floor it then like two seconds later slam on the brakes. Besides, I don't really expect to be putting heavy mileage on it. Probably under 200 miles a month, which is what, at most 15 gallons? So like $30-40 a month for gas, and the plan is to charge my younger brother $5 a week for transportation. Maybe the occasional highway trip to NY, which is about 220 miles round trip so at most $30-40, greyhound is $21 each way and the train to Westchester is $8 each way, so I save money.

If I turn 21 and this thing is in one piece, I'll drop in whatever enigne Prof wants me to, get a good transmission, and beat some Jap 4-bangers back across the pacific.

Professur

Al, trust me when I say, "You really don't want me advising you where engines are concerned".

I'm building up my old pickup for my daughter. It's going to get an upgrade from it's stock 2.8l v6 to a 383 chevy stroker (yeah, it's tight, but it fits .... but you're not gonna squeeze air conditioning in there with it), with some form of forced air .... and maybe something from a bottle or two. It's sitting on 215/70 rubber on 14" rims. Even with the V6, I can break them free and keep them loose until I run outta gas or rubber (yeah, I blew over a quarter inch of rubber off. Don't tell anyone.) Once I fill out the wells with something in the 16-17" group and rework the diff ..... It'll handle the hookup, but the neck snap is gonna be nasty. Most of the driver train on an s-10 is already stock Camaro so I'm already one step ahead there.

Professur

16 with a co-pilot. 18, she flies solo. If you're gonna visit Mtl, do it before then, or stay off the sidewalks.

Inkara1

I don't know whether having that kind of truck will make her more popular with the guys or intimidate them.

highwayman

Inkara1 said:

They made a 307, but I don't remember what model it went into. I know the 302 went into a few pontiacs...

Professur

Inkara1 said:
I don't know whether having that kind of truck will make her more popular with the guys or intimidate them.

If the truck doesn't scare them, the old guy in the back with the 12 guage will.