Bought a car today...

Inkara1

Not in the US, as far as I know. The current Jetta design came out mid-year 2005 so it would be a few years before they would ditch it.

It's the sedan version of the Golf Mk V.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Not in the US, as far as I know. The current Jetta design came out mid-year 2005 so it would be a few years before they would ditch it.

pffft the new cavalier body came out in 2003 and for 2006 GM had ditched the cavalier completely...

Altron

I did get the car tuned up, well the first tune up at least. The guy (reliable guy, my mom's known him since childhood and he's a professional mechanic, works out of his own garage.) said that he fixed a bunch of hoses and stuff, there were like ten small things that he fixed, don't have the list on me at the moment. He said that he got everything immediate, but in the next six months I should get new tires, a new fuel pump, and some other stuff. Gotta find that list...

Inkara1

Nixy said:
pffft the new cavalier body came out in 2003 and for 2006 GM had ditched the cavalier completely...
That wasn't a new body... just a new nose on a body that dated back to 1995; a stopgap measure until the Cobalt was ready. The new Jetta is a bumper-to-bumper redesign including a new engine.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
That wasn't a new body... just a new nose on a body that dated back to 1995; a stopgap measure until the Cobalt was ready. The new Jetta is a bumper-to-bumper redesign including a new engine.

Parts of the Cavalier engine were changed...they went from belts to chains for some things...I dunno what else got changed.

Professur

tonksy said:
Cars in the shop...brake calipers said screw you. Rob's pretty bummed.

Hey, it went gently instead of failing in the middle of traffic. He can be happy about that.

tonksy

Professur said:
Hey, it went gently instead of failing in the middle of traffic. He can be happy about that.
It was weird. Who really knows how long it was doing it because when you would brake it sounded like a plane flying overhead, which around here is a common occurance.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
The new Jetta is a bumper-to-bumper redesign including a new engine.

Seems like your new jetta is the bora over here. What did they call it, jetta g5?

HomeLAN

tonksy said:
Cars in the shop...brake calipers said screw you. Rob's pretty bummed.

Wife's and mine go in Friday. She needs a new pulley and serpentine belt, I need an oil change and for my fucking brake pedal to stop groaning.

HomeLAN

Inkara1 said:

I saw the ad last night where they put a pimped out car through a trebuchet. Sweet.

Professur

HomeLAN said:
Wife's and mine go in Friday. She needs a new pulley and serpentine belt, I need an oil change and for my fucking brake pedal to stop groaning.

The groan is probably the bushing wearing out from getting stomped on.

Altron

If I put it into drive and the RPMs drop, is it better to let it stall then try to start it again, or is it better to give it gas until the RPMs come back up?

Also, for a few days my 'Charge Battery' light has been on. On the way home from work today, the turn signal was acting all funky. It would light up, but instead of clicking and blinking, it would stay lit.

Then I was at a stoplight, and the radio cut out. It flashed back on for a second, then went off for good. It appeared that the head unit wasn't getting power.

Then all of the lights started to dim. The car had very little power, the gas pedal had a Japanese lightweight feel to it, needed to really move it to get the car moving. The engine tone was different too, more of a higher pitched 'woosh' sound instead of a lower pitched hum.

So, uhm, any ideas?

On a side note - I think it's funny how, for the most part, women want to avoid car problems and go to great lengths to do it, but men just don't care. Case in point - My mom recently replaced her Nissan minivan with 95,000 miles on it because the timing belt was going and the check engine light was on and she was afraid of breaking down. She then made sure to get a brand new Japanese car, because they're so reliable and everything. My dad's car, on the other hand, hit 130k last month, makes strange dying noises, and stalls all the time on the highway. Not only that, but he got several mechanics including the Nissan dealer mechanics to look at it, and they can't find the problem. He drives it, no worries. My car has all these issues, and yet until an hour ago, I wouldn't have thought twice about needing to worry about breaking down. Now I'm concerned. It took nearly losing all electricity in the car for it to happen though. Radio was gone, headlights dim, dash lights gone, etc.

So, any ideas?

unclehobart

Yup... sounds like you need to recondition the alternator.. and probably get a new battery at this point.

I can't believe you were running the radio with the check battery light being on. You were accelerating the chaos.

Professur

Could be the main power lead. That carries power from the battery to the fuse box. I had that sucker go on me twice. Easy fixes, but it's usually buried in the cable race.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Does everything work better after you've had the car run for a bit (voltage regulator)? Or is it just dead dead. (alternator/battery/broken wire)

chcr

Too cute for words
Altron, it could be as simple as a slipping or missing belt too. Get the alternator tested before you replace it. ;)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Luckily, Altron, none of this stuff is uber-expensive either.

Does your dad's car have a computer in it or is it older? Computer modules gone bad will make a car do that whether there's something broken or not.