'Braveheart' sword leaves Scotland

Professur

LONDON (AP) — One of Scotland’s national treasures, the 5-foot sword wielded by William Wallace, the rebel leader portrayed in the Academy Award-winning film “Braveheart,” left its homeland for the first time in more than 700 years Wednesday.

The double-handed weapon that belonged to Wallace will be the centerpiece of an exhibition at New York’s Grand Central Station during Tartan Day celebrations, which begin later this week.

This year marks the 700th anniversary of the execution of Wallace, who led the Scots in their battle to free themselves from English rule and whose story was brought to the screen by Mel Gibson in the 1995 film “Braveheart.” The film won five Academy Awards.

“This is an historic moment. It is the first time in 700 years that a relic of this importance has left these shores,” said Colin O’Brien, a Scottish official accompanying the sword to the United States.

The 6-pound weapon will be returned to its home at the National Wallace Monument in Stirling, Scotland, after the celebrations.

Wallace’s sword was kept at Dumbarton Castle for 600 years. King James IV is said to have paid for it to be given a new hilt in 1505.

If you do nothing else of worth in NY this week, go see this. I saw it at Sterling.

Lopan

God I hate Mel Gibson. He really hates the English, convict scum. :D

Braveheat the film was the most embellished rubbish I ever had the misfortune of seeing.

Was the sword ever used by the skirt wearing pansy?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
A five foot sword that only weighs six pounds? I didn't realize the Scots invented Aluminum.

freako104

PT said:
A five foot sword that only weighs six pounds? I didn't realize the Scots invented Aluminum.

I thought Claymores were extremely heavy?

sounds like a cool exhibit. I wish I could get to NY

Professur

freako104 said:
I thought Claymores were extremely heavy?

sounds like a cool exhibit. I wish I could get to NY

For a sword with that much leverage, that is extremely heavy. Try holding a broom at arm's length for any length of time. Now go weigh it and see what it weighs.

PT

Professur said:
For a sword with that much leverage, that is extremely heavy. Try holding a broom at arm's length for any length of time. Now go weigh it and see what it weighs.
I've got a three and a half foot sword at home. It's got a little fancy stuff on it, but nothing extreme and I would bet it weighs in at over 6 pounds. Just seems awful light for a five foot sword.

Lightweight swords for lightweight opposition
You do realize it was used Against the brits, right?

Professur

PT said:
I've got a three and a half foot sword at home. It's got a little fancy stuff on it, but nothing extreme and I would bet it weighs in at over 6 pounds. Just seems awful light for a five foot sword.

A shorter blade needs more weight. Question, is yours a new blade, or an antique? New blades are usually for show only, and would actually be near useless in a fight. A claymore isn't usually more than a quarter inch thick, no matter what you see on tv, or at the local "mideval" shop.

PT

I'm fairly certain it's a knockoff. I bought it about ten years ago for around 100 bucks. It does have a pretty good edge on it, but I doubt it would hold up to being hit by another sword or anything.

Lopan

PT said:
You do realize it was used Against the brits, right?

Yes, but Brits are Scottish, English, welsh and northern Irish.
I'm English therefore lightweight swords for lightweight opposition. The opposition being Scottish.

Professur

:nod:

Look at the load a car's leaf spring carries, compared to it's thickness. A longsword's steel has much in common with them. Carrying an edge wasn't that important. A claymore was more intended to take the legs off a horse than bust open armour. Take the hit edge on, flex like a bitch, but don't break. That's how swordbreakers worked. Notch the sword edge, then twist, and the blade snaps. That would never work with your sword.

Professur

Lopan, do they still teach The Declaration of Arbroath in your schools? Or have they traded it in for French lessons?