Bridal Shower!

Uki Chick said:
This whole family is weird. Maybe i'll come dressed up anyway, in a victorian style gown or something. Shove it in their faces that I don't like them not letting people dress up.

Only good part is that I'm not the only catholic amongst a gang of Jews! She's marrying a Catholic! Whewwww!!!!!!!!!! No midnight sacrafices.

Well since they spelled your name wrong ,you could always say you assumed the "NO" costumes was also a misprint .

A.B.Normal said:
And I was concerned about buying underwear that someone had returned :umm: I refuse to even imagine someone returning a vibrator. *puke*

Hey, man, there's more than one woman here who's burned out a vibrator.

A.B.Normal said:
Well since they spelled your name wrong ,you could always say you assumed the "NO" costumes was also a misprint .

I can always say that I thought they had the wrong person.

Back into serious mode for a moment...

Where does the cousin live? If there is any real distance or half a decent way of making a schedule conflict, I'd take it as an out. You can always send a polite note of thanks and refuse to attend. You are under no obligation to do anything that you are not comfortable with, feelings of family members be damned. Its your life to live, not your mother-in-laws, nor the cousins family. From what I'm reading, it sounds as if you simply are not that close... if you even speak to her at all. If you object to them as human beings, blow the whole thing off. If the mother-in-law bitches holy hell about it, stand your ground and shut her down. Explain your concerns about the cousin and her pain in the ass mother to the mother-in-law if she asks. It doesnt help to keep this kind of stuff buried deep down. They aren't your blood so you shouldn't have to even make excuses for it. Send something basic and be done with it.

Uki Chick said:
So, I've been invited to my husband's cousin's bridal shower that's happening next month. She has a bridal registry, but most of the stuff is so expensive. I don't want to seem cheap, but I don't want to blow my budget either. She gave me a cheap coffee table book for my shower and gave nothing for the wedding because she was broke. I don't want his family complaining i'm cheap when she opens her gifts, but I really don't want to spend more than 20 bucks. That's about all she deserves!

Don't know if anyone said this yet, but, did you consider giving her a copy of the book she gave you? :grinyes:

unclehobart said:
Back into serious mode for a moment...

Where does the cousin live? If there is any real distance or half a decent way of making a schedule conflict, I'd take it as an out. You can always send a polite note of thanks and refuse to attend. You are under no obligation to do anything that you are not comfortable with, feelings of family members be damned. Its your life to live, not your mother-in-laws, nor the cousins family. From what I'm reading, it sounds as if you simply are not that close... if you even speak to her at all. If you object to them as human beings, blow the whole thing off. If the mother-in-law bitches holy hell about it, stand your ground and shut her down. Explain your concerns about the cousin and her pain in the ass mother to the mother-in-law if she asks. It doesnt help to keep this kind of stuff buried deep down. They aren't your blood so you shouldn't have to even make excuses for it. Send something basic and be done with it.

If it was that easy, I'd do it. We're not as close as we used to be that's for sure. She moved to Calgary not long ago but lived in Montreal. The shower is being held in Montreal as well as the wedding. As to her mother, the whole family can't stand her, but they put up with her because she's married to my mother-in-laws brother. I'm not the only one who would never hear the end of it if I didn't go though. Unfortunately, Paul wouldn't either. She made it to my shower so I should return the favor. I just don't think I should spend much money on someone who had the nerve to give me a book for mine and not give me anything for my wedding. I guess I was brought up in a way that if you can't afford to go to a wedding, you stay home, you don't show up, eat the food, drink like a fish, party your ass off and not give the bride and groom a gift. Although I shouldn't complain too much about her because my sister-in-law did the same thing. I'll end up going to the shower, not empty handed either, but with a small gift. I have better things to spend my money on, such as friends staying at my place for a great bash we'll be having. "wink,wink".

Unfortunately, Paul wouldn't either.

Not her blood, but it is her husband's. One of those "we not me" things, Unc.

Do you think I'd be quite as nice as I am to Alan if he weren't Karen's father?

Certainly not, Steve (pun intended). But there are limits to everything. Your FIL lives a mere mile away and always has. It sounds like this cousin is and will be living quite far away. Its the MIL thats the trouble.

Dear Abby says that wedding guests should be under no obligation to provide any presents. Weddings are not supposed to be a grab bag bonanza in trying to get as many things as you can. That is just rude. Weddings are supposed to be about joy and witnessing a union. The registry is just a suggested guide for those who are stumped as to what to provide as well as prevent double purchasing. It would be rude to be forced into lavish spending.

Can you give us a peek at the prices were talking about?

In all... to keep the family peace, you will probably have to just eat the cost of... something... and go and do your familial duty since it would be the lesser of two evils.

For my own part, I have blown off a wedding or two in my day of people that I truly admired and would have loved to attend all because of the presence of my sister. There was a window of time where I would have nothing to do with her. The entire family knew that to invite her was to deinvite me. I even did it for my own birthday party once because she refused to not show up.

Here are just the linens for her bedroom that she has chosen. Sheets, pillows cases, comforter etc.

BEDROOM LINENS ()

1 0 9018 KNG AMER DNM DCOV :DENIM:
RALPH LAU DENIM DCOV KNG $495.00
1 0 9020 DOUBLE BEDSKIRT :DENIM:DB
RALPH LAU DENIM DBL B/S $200.00
2 0 9019 EURO AMER DNM SHAM:DENIM:
RALPH LAU DENIM SHAM EURO $160.00
1 0 9086 UNIV STRIPE KNGSHT:MULTI:
RALPH LAU KNG FTD $107.00
1 0 9085 UNIV STRIPE KNGSHT:MULTI:
RALPH LAU KNG FLT $107.00
2 0 9021 CASE STANDARD :BLUE:CASE
RALPH LAU BLUE CASE STD $67.00
2 0 9022 UNIV STRIP STDCASE:MULTI:
RALPH LAU CASE STD $60.00
BEDDING BASIC ()
1 0 9017 KING AVANT GARD :WHITE:KI
WHITE KING $129.99

No, they're not obliged to give us a gift or anything. It's only proper to give something. After all, when you as a couple planning your wedding are dishing out 100 dollars/person for a meal, you expect some kind of compensation in a gift. When I go to a wedding, for instance we had one this past weekend, we gave $240.00 in a card to congratulate the bride and groom and I gave her $50.00 for her bridal shower as we were getting a group gift.

200$ for ralph lauren bedskirts?! I would sooner staple 200 1$ bills together and make my own.

*cough* rip-off.

unclehobart said:
200$ for ralph lauren bedskirts?! I would sooner staple 200 1$ bills together and make my own.

*cough* rip-off.

Hell yes...but some people need to feel better about themselves by having all that expensive stuff in their house.

If I ever make enough money to afford stuff like that I'd still rather have comfy and nice yet reasonably priced stuff and save the extra money to go on vacation or something. Or throw a big party for all my friends...something to trully enjoy...how much enjoyment can one get from a bedskirt?

unclehobart said:

*cough* rip-off.

Now you see what I mean. The most expensive thing on our registry was $250.00 and that was for a DVD player and the other item at that price was for a cordless phone. Otherwise, we had a variety of things that people can buy at reasonable prices. For her drinking glasses, she's chosen something that costs 60/glass and she wants 8 of them. I don't think so!!

Uki Chick said:
Now you see what I mean. The most expensive thing on our registry was $250.00 and that was for a DVD player and the other item at that price was for a cordless phone. Otherwise, we had a variety of things that people can buy at reasonable prices. For her drinking glasses, she's chosen something that costs 60/glass and she wants 8 of them. I don't think so!!

$60 for a drinking glass??? They better be made outta something that doesnt' break!!! Glass at that price I'd be afraid to use...scared of it slipping outta my hands and onto the floor!!

You could always buy her one glass :brush:

Nixy said:
You could always buy her one glass :brush:

To expensive. Remember why I started the thread, she bought me a coffee table book with her sister for my bridal shower. She doesn't deserve a $60 glass.

Uki Chick said:
To expensive. Remember why I started the thread, she bought me a coffee table book with her sister for my bridal shower. She doesn't deserve a $60 glass.

hmmmm you could buy her...a 1foot by 1 foot piece of silk cloth to clean her expensive glasses with :D

just buy cheapo glasses and stick a $60 label on em.....doesn't sound like she'll know the diff anyway :shrug:

Nixy said:
hmmmm you could buy her...a 1foot by 1 foot piece of silk cloth to clean her expensive glasses with :D

probably a good idea. she'll need to dust them every so often cause they're just gonna sit there anyway so that no one drops one.

Back