British troops say attacked by U.S. "cowboy" pilot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LONDON, March 31 (Reuters) - British soldiers wounded by "friendly fire" in Iraq said their convoy had been hit by a U.S. aircraft and one of them called the pilot a "cowboy" with no regard for human life, the Times newspaper reported on Monday.

The Times carried accounts by the survivors which tallied with earlier British media reports that an American A10 "tankbuster" plane had strafed a convoy of British armoured vehicles.

British authorities said on Saturday they were investigating the incident south of the Iraqi city of Basra, in which one British soldier was killed and five were injured.

"You've got an A10 with advanced technology and he can't use a thermal sight to identify whether a tank is a friend or a foe. It's ridiculous," the newspaper quoted Lance Corporal Steven Gerrard as saying from his bed on the hospital ship RFA Argus.

Gerrard said his convoy had approached a group of Iraqi civilians waving white flags when the plane attacked them.

"There was a boy no more than 12 years old. He was no more than 20 metres (66 ft) away when the Yank opened up," he was quoted as saying. "He had absolutely no regard for human life. I believe he was a cowboy."

Gerrard said the U.S. aircraft had made two sweeps over the five-vehicle convoy of Scimitar light reconnaissance tanks and was less than 500 metres away when the pilot opened fire.

"We can identify a friendly vehicle from 1,500 metres," he said.

The Times said first two Scimitars in the convoy exploded into flames and one of the crew did not manage to escape.

Britain has so far lost 24 troops in the Iraq war. Five have been killed in action, 14 in accidents and five in so-called "friendly fire" incidents, killed by their own side in the conflict.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L318939.htm

you guys got something against brits and canadians?? or are your pilots not eye tested properly?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Put him in prison. There is no need for that kind of carelessness. Especially with the tags they're using now.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Yep, have to agree on this one. Can't be that damn hard to tell who's who.

ol' man

Justintime said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LONDON, March 31 (Reuters) - British soldiers wounded by "friendly fire" in Iraq said their convoy had been hit by a U.S. aircraft and one of them called the pilot a "cowboy" with no regard for human life, the Times newspaper reported on Monday.

The Times carried accounts by the survivors which tallied with earlier British media reports that an American A10 "tankbuster" plane had strafed a convoy of British armoured vehicles.

British authorities said on Saturday they were investigating the incident south of the Iraqi city of Basra, in which one British soldier was killed and five were injured.

"You've got an A10 with advanced technology and he can't use a thermal sight to identify whether a tank is a friend or a foe. It's ridiculous," the newspaper quoted Lance Corporal Steven Gerrard as saying from his bed on the hospital ship RFA Argus.

Gerrard said his convoy had approached a group of Iraqi civilians waving white flags when the plane attacked them.

"There was a boy no more than 12 years old. He was no more than 20 metres (66 ft) away when the Yank opened up," he was quoted as saying. "He had absolutely no regard for human life. I believe he was a cowboy."

Gerrard said the U.S. aircraft had made two sweeps over the five-vehicle convoy of Scimitar light reconnaissance tanks and was less than 500 metres away when the pilot opened fire.

"We can identify a friendly vehicle from 1,500 metres," he said.

The Times said first two Scimitars in the convoy exploded into flames and one of the crew did not manage to escape.

Britain has so far lost 24 troops in the Iraq war. Five have been killed in action, 14 in accidents and five in so-called "friendly fire" incidents, killed by their own side in the conflict.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L318939.htm

you guys got something against brits and canadians?? or are your pilots not eye tested properly?

Yep we really want to kill all the british. Next we will attack with U boats and these V2 rockets :rolleyes:

Remember these,

V1Rocket.jpg

You probably had a few land quite close to were you are sitting right now.

PT

HEY!..That shit ain't funny man, if you're going to cuss, do it in English.

A.B.Normal

Justintime said:
ok, erm had it ever occured to you to translate it before accusing?

According to Altavista/Bable fish :

I understand you, what you do not mean by that ?

I still find it confusing:confuse3:

And I thought Pt was trying for humour too,but I haven't had my coffee yet.:gmorning:

madrin

There shouldn't be...but there was...

..and there's this...

....and it IS ridiculous, which leads me to believe there's a little more to this story than is related in the report. I'll reserve judgement until that time....

Lots of "facts' get repeated around here, only to wind up being something different later...

There was a boy no more than 12 years old. He was no more than 20 metres (66 ft) away when the Yank opened up," he was quoted as saying. "He had absolutely no regard for human life. I believe he was a cowboy.

....sounds crappy....wish the "white flag of surrender" actually still meant that....

MADrin

My opinion is, scared pilot seeing iraqi people and tanks in one location, jumped the gun did'nt check if friend or foe and just fired.

PT

I'm not real concerned about the boy, I know that sounds bad, but that's this war. You can't trust the enemy to be actually surrendering anymore anywhere. But...

I do agree with Gonz on this 100%. If he was within 20 meters when he started shooting, there is no fucking reason for him to have been shooting. He should be in jail.

PT

Justintime said:
My opinion is, scared pilot seeing iraqi people and tanks in one location, jumped the gun did'nt check if friend or foe and just fired.

Even if that's the case, we have no room for him in our military.