carpet, or tile?

What's do you like on the bathroom flooring

• carpet

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • tile/linoleum

Votes: 22 91.7%

• Total voters

BlurOfSerenity

tile... i really wish it were linoleum or something. jay's house is getting old and needs some maintence we can't afford, and when you walk into the bathroom, the tiles move a little. you can't weigh yourself in there because the floor's not level. it's kind of scary.
in my parents' bathroom, there were these linoleum tiles my mom and i put down one day with a rolling pin when their addition got built, but after many years, water got down through them and the floor of the bathroom started rotting out. they had to get the bathroom floor redone... but it's so much better now.
so, i want linoleum, but only if it's done well. no carpeting. i don't like things sticking to my feet, especially when they're wet, and if lint stuck to my feet i would probably have a seizure.

catocom

As an ex-floor covering installer, please, for the love of god, please, put down some type of tile. If for nothing else, for the poor bastard floor covering installer that may have to replace it at some point. I know carpet is more comfortable, but you have no idea how nasty it is to have to pull pee stained carpet up from around a toilet. There are also structural reasons, such as carpet will hold moisture and cause the floor to rot out quicker, where vinyl or even ceramic will seal the floor and protect if from the moisture, but that really isn't even close to the top of my list, the first five reasons are this....

1. Pulling up nasty pee stained carpet sucks.
2. Pulling up nasty pee stained carpet stinks.
3. Pulling up nasty pee stained carpet is nasty.
4. Pulling up nasty pee stained carpet is digusting.
5. Pulling up nasty pee stained carpet sucks.

pulling linoleum, or tile, that lost a complete seal, and nasty decking too.

I've done it all. After a while ANYthing where guys stand to pee is going to
get nasty. The boys around here were/are destructive, and there be cracks in no-time on tile, cuts it linoleum.
It's easier for me to replace carpet.

now if you have concrete floors IMO it's a different story.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
OK, so you feel the water tightness of linoleum or tile would be compromised and therefore the decking will be damaged...I'm pretty sure that the seams in carpet tile are the same as seams in other adhesive tiles and allow water in even if the tile itself somehow keeps water off the subfloor (plastic backing? I dunno)...so either way your subfloor is going eventually...but with carpet tile all the nasties that are gonna rot out the subfloor are also gonna sit in the carpet for your to walk on...really, it comes back to the sanitary factor. I mean, don't get me wrong it's your house and do whatever you want...I was just expressing that carpet in a bathroom is likely to be a cestpool of germs (which most people seem to agree with here)...

catocom

I guess it depends on how much you clean it.
I just don't see where it will hold more active germs than the tile grout.

kuulani

My newly built house has tile in the bathrooms and kitchen and laminate every where else.

The laminate allows us to see every piece of dust and dirt on the flooring, which is great because all of that would be hidden in a carpet :D

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Depends upon the carpet. Field turf very water-resistant. As is its predecessor, Astro turf. Berber, notsomuch...
Thats not really true though, its not water resistant at all, its just woven looser to let the water go through, and to let the water dry out of it. It's made not to hold water, but not to resist it or create a seal in any way. As far as I know, there is no carpet that is truly water resistant, if you pour water on it, it will go through it, with the possible exception of rubber backed carpet tiles, but then it soaks into the foam rubber too, which will hold it and keep it from evaporating quite well.

catocom

--------------------old thread Alert -------------------------

well, y'all were right about the carpet getting nasty.

Having a real fun time now pulling it out and cleaning, to get ready for tile.
:retard:

man, that is some nasty crappy carpet.:toomuch:

Professur

Do yourself a favour while you're remodeling the bathroom ... add a urinal. I don't understand why they're not more common in houses, but with every woman on the planet bitching about the seat being left up and boys inability to aim, it seems the natural thing.