comp help

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Leslie said:
PostCode said:
C:\Documnets and Settings/<username>/Local Settings/Temp

You would be suprised at all the crap that accumulates in there.
:confuse3:

I'm a little afraid, what exactly can I delete out of there?

Everything. Really. Everything. Just leave the folder there.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
there were a couple things that said this is a system folder, so I left them, but the rest are in the recycle bin now...gotta get up my nerve to empty that now :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Delete the temp files. All of them. Trust me. Your computer will run faster. You aren't installing anything, are you? You aren't opening files straight out of ZIP files instead of extracting them and then opening them, are you? Those are the only things I can think of that'd require temp files to exist.

Aunty Em

If you give your HDD a quickscan and defrag after cleaning out the temp files that should help things run faster too as it will tidy up the drive.

PT

Leslie said:
there were a couple things that said this is a system folder, so I left them, but the rest are in the recycle bin now...gotta get up my nerve to empty that now :D

It says you have system folders in the temp folder?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
it did, some were read only, blah, blah, but there were system folder warnings that came up too, 4 of them, like Temporary Internet Files, stuff like that...they were folders, so I just left them in there, maybe if I deleted them, Windows wouldn't be able to find somewhere to put something? :confuse3:

PT

That is definitely Windows for you, I remember back in 98, I had a temp internet files in my root, and under windows. I think it happened around IE 5.0. That may be what Les is getting if she updated IE since the original install. Funny thing is, on mine, IE was still throwing files in both locations.

dan

i worked tech support for a few years... some of those people really are clueless.

getting remote desktop-type software for win95 was useful...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
unclehobart said:
Just get a raid card and slave in 5 extra 120GB hard drives. That should give you a bit more elbow room.
$$$ I would if I could but I can't so I won't $$$

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Right click on it in Task Manager (hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, click Task Manager, and go to Processes) and set the Priority to one lower notch than it's already set at. (if you can)