Conan screws the pooch.

Professur

TORONTO (CP) -- A TV comedy sketch in which a grouchy puppet took some potshots at French Canadians on Thursday night landed with a thump on the floor of the House of Commons on Friday.

Mauril Belanger, the deputy government house leader, told the Commons that the government finds nothing amusing about American TV host Conan O'Brien making fun of Quebeckers. And he said Ottawa completely disassociates itself from the material.

NDP MP Alexa McDonough agreed that the sketch featuring Triumph the Insult Dog included racial jokes that promote hate and that the feds should demand their money back.

A real class act.

Source

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
"I can tell you are French -- I can smell your crotch from here," a beret-wearing Triumph said to one over-styled downtown dude. His victims seemed shocked and uncomprehending.

"You're French and Canadian? That means you're obnoxious and dumb?"

"You're in North America -- learn the language," Triumph heckled.

And later: "Are you separatists? Listen carefully: Do you hear that? It's the sound of nobody giving a crap."

Zut alors. This stuff would have offended Don Cherry. Quebec will finally want to separate -- from the United States.

"I thought Babar lived in Paris," Triumph goofed on one tubby.

"Are you a separatist? Maybe you should try separating yourself from doughnuts first."

Maybe this stuff kills Stateside where they're still smarting from France's firm "non" to the war in Iraq. That would explain this crack: "I only know the basic French expressions -- like, 'I surrender.' "

Heaping insult on injury: "You're like the Canada of Canada."

Mon Dieu! In one night, Triumph flushed 72 hours of amazing Can-Am goodwill straight down the toilet. It was as if the O'Brien folks felt the tidal wave of love was way out of hand. Dammit, we're an edgy band of satirists. No one is safe.

some of it seems a bit too far :shrug:
http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/feb13_conan-sun.html

A.B.Normal

I keed,I keed .
I watched it and it was the usual Triumph schtick ,did you laugh when he mocked the Star wars Fans :confused: .I don't find Triumph particularily funny (except his Eminem jibes) ,but it wasn't anymore mean spirited than usual. The skit where he was in a Restaurant and after he sniffed the Wine cork ,he was presented with the Butt of a "real" Poodle to sniff.I wouldn't have wanted to be in that restaurant trying to have a meal *puke*

chcr

Too cute for words
Zut alors. This stuff would have offended Don Cherry. Quebec will finally want to separate -- from the United States.

Quebec is part of the United States??????

Triumph is offensive, that's the point. I'm sure Conan appreciates the publicity.

Uki Chick

chcr said:
Quebec is part of the United States??????

Obviously Quebec is not part of the United States, but there are a lot of dealing with the US.

The way I look at it, things can be funny, but there are limits to what should be said and perhaps this bit went a little too far.

IDLEchild

Is the footage avaliable anywhere to see?

Also why does U.S have this animosity against Canada?...pleasent country with mellow people so what are the insults for?

IDLEchild

Uki Chick said:
Your guess is as good as ours.

I find it to be basic ignorance just like Americans having unfounded resentment for any other country or race. I've visited Canada many times...beautiful place (lot more roomy than U.S) and the people are calm and collective for the most part but apprently even that is a thorn on America's side and a reason to give birth to anti-Canadian feelings.

Jokes are jokes but some really do hate Canada....

weird.

greenfreak

We don't have entire shows dedicated to exhibiting the stupidity of Canadians, I don't see how you can possibly think you have a right to be upset at jokes aimed your way when you use America & Americans as a constant source of amusement and ridicule.

The name is "Triumph the insult comic dog", that's what he does. If you had heard of him before he started making fun of you, you might have laughed at some of his jokes. I know I did.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I'm not upset in the slightest...and we do get the show up here...we've seen the dog...

just odd that he'd come here in the spirit of boosting tourism and project so "badly" the very place he's trying to bring the tourism to? :confuse3:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
At the end, Stompin' Tom Connors led the 1,200 strong through all three periods of The Hockey Song.
I'd loved to have seen that...but I wasn't stayin up that late.

Sharky

If it weren't for Canadian snowbirds, a LOT of people who work in Panama City Beach would be unemployed between September and March.

greenfreak

Am I losing my mind? Didn't you just post a link to the audio from the show? I listened to the whole thing, the audience seemed to laugh as much as I did. I wish I could see a video of it, sounds like you miss a lot if you're just listening, not watching.

C'mon, you really find none of it funny?

Professur

I only heard about it on the radio this morning. I never watch him to start with. Personally, I find him, Leno and that other waste of airtime Letterman about as funny as a train wreck.

Professur

Well, I nearly pissed myself over the Blue Collar comedy tour. Just for Laughs brings thousands of comics to Mtl, so picking out individuals is tough. Bowser and Blue cripple me. John Cleese. Carlin, of course.

Maybe I'd find those yahoos standup funny, but their day to day stuff is just so lame and tired. Maybe because of the size of the audience. They're having to shoot low so they don't go over the common person's head.

FYI, Mr. Bean. No funny. Blackadder, funny.