Conan screws the pooch.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
greenfreak said:
Hey Bish, what's the Canadian show called that asks Americans questions about Canada? Do you know the one, that pokes fun at how stupid and clueless us Americans are when it comes to our northern neighbors? Any other Canadian want to help me out with the name, or better yet, the thread started here about it? I'm curious, I'd like to see how many Americans posted that that show should be cancelled.

talking to americans

and it is insulting, no doubt, but not as blatant, it's satirical.

I can't say anything about the dog, I have always hated him, I found him amusing in the beginning, but now I find him stupid now, when he was working with the people Bon JOvi scetch, back inteh beginning, it was funny, I didn't see the quebec thing, but the new stuff is just mean, with no comidic value.

and americans tried making talking to canadians, but it failed cause we knew to much about your country

A.B.Normal

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enca/Entertainment/EntertainmentStory.htm?type=e&src=e021806A.xml

Soumalias says some of the Late Night writers did express concern about being insensitive in their material but that he was the one who encouraged them, assuring them that Canada was mature enough in its comedy.

"I encouraged them to do the segment," he says, adding that if we Canadians can't take it then it speaks volumes about how secure we are about our national identity. He says the Conan crew was surprised that the material ended up as a big deal to Canadian politicians.

greenfreak

paul_valaru said:
talking to americans

and it is insulting, no doubt, but not as blatant, it's satirical.

I can't say anything about the dog, I have always hated him, I found him amusing in the beginning, but now I find him stupid now, when he was working with the people Bon JOvi scetch, back inteh beginning, it was funny, I didn't see the quebec thing, but the new stuff is just mean, with no comidic value.

and americans tried making talking to canadians, but it failed cause we knew to much about your country

That's the one, thanks Paul. :)

My point is not whether any of the humor is true or not, whether it's blatant or not, it's that some Canadians here are the first to cry foul of being slighted by Americans, the first to poke fun, the first to criticize. And mostly, we just take it. But the few times there has been a parallel event that slighted the Canadians, all of a sudden it's a serious topic that deserves action and attention. It's a double standard, that's my point.

greenfreak

Professur said:
Well, I heard on the radio this morning that O'Brien appologized for offending Quebecers, using a translator, no less. Anyone see it?

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2004/02/18/352278-cp.html

found it.

Damn, they don't mention the part about him having a small penis.

:laugh: That's pretty funny.

An apology, of sorts, from U.S. talk-show host Conan O'Brien to French Canadians came too late to satisfy Ontario's minister of culture and francophone affairs.

Gee, that's a surprise.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
greenfreak said:
That's the one, thanks Paul. :)

My point is not whether any of the humor is true or not, whether it's blatant or not, it's that some Canadians here are the first to cry foul of being slighted by Americans, the first to poke fun, the first to criticize. And mostly, we just take it. But the few times there has been a parallel event that slighted the Canadians, all of a sudden it's a serious topic that deserves action and attention. It's a double standard, that's my point.

actualy it's the goverment people who cried foul, and it's not about a double standard, it's about look at the american instead of looking at our new prime minister, who was finance minister when many millions of dollars where taken by fraud, the Goverment people are using conan as smoke and mirrors.

and the guy who does talking to americans, makes fun of canadians as well, he was part of a show called this hour has 22 minutes, and our politions actually appeared on this show

drkavnger99

If your offended you took it to seriously IMO... I mean every country has it stereotypes and has those ppl in it to back it up! I didn't see the dog pissing on quebec but again IMO it's no worse than those window etches with calvin wearing your make of car and pissing on another make! The government seems to want something for nothing and the show overall was poking fun at americans too, in the sense everyone knows conan is from the US and it goes with the stereotypes of us in the US know absolutely nothing about Canada! Now if this was a politition, diplomat, or somebody of serious stature I'd have to agree that this was horrible, but hey this was a comedian and ppl need to learn to take a joke!

greenfreak

paul_valaru said:
it's not about a double standard

Here's a comparison of what I'm talking about:

An outrage: http://www.otcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594&highlight=hockey

Barely 10 on-topic posts: http://www.otcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7453&highlight=inconsiderate+assholes

If you ever want a full view of what the Canadian vs. American debate has been like here, do a search for posts from sbcanada and jeslek. There are tons and tons of threads out there. Jeslek especially liked to bring up Canadian issues and "stir the pot" if you will. I'm sure others remember him fondly. :D

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
IDLEchild said:
Is the footage avaliable anywhere to see?

Also why does U.S have this animosity against Canada?...pleasent country with mellow people so what are the insults for?

The same reason so many Canadians have a dislike for the US, I guess... ;)