~Confederate Flag´s~ *fly em*

flavio

Banned
There is a direct comparison between the c\Confederate flag and the Nazi flag. The Nazi flag is part of German history too, but they don't fly it proudly anymore.

Why some Americans would be stupid enough to fly the Confederate flag is beyond me.

G

i think that for some the Confederate flag has taken on a new meaning. it's not about slavery or the Civil War. it's about being a rebel and rebelling against the establishment. an example is the Confederate Flag shown on the Dukes of Hazzard. some people take it more seriously than others.

freako104

do you look at it that way s4? jsut curious since thats honestly the first time ive heard that.flavio, there are many reasons that its still flown just in more southern states and ive seen them more in small towns than anything. some are posted on here. s4 made a good point that it is a sign of rebellion although as i said ive never seen anyone who flew it say anything like that. and jsut like the nazi flag it is a part of history and also some areas(though ive never been to europe myself ive heard that its still in Poland) so theres that. also the actual swastika ive heard is supposed to mean elements but because of history and what it was used for thats why people say its racist. though this will contradict my earlier post, the confederate flag os the same. its a part of our history and its because of what it represented at the time its being thought of as racist now. and people do have the first amendment to fly it.

Jeslek

Banned
Originally posted by flavio
The Nazi flag is part of German history too, but they don't fly it proudly anymore.

That is because it the government dictated it to be illegal to fly it. If the government didn't stick its nose where it didn't belong, some people might still fly it. I can fly a Nazi flag if I want to. People might not like it, but I am WITHIN my sovereign right to do so.

flavio

Banned
Originally posted by LastLegionary
Originally posted by flavio
The Nazi flag is part of German history too, but they don't fly it proudly anymore.

That is because it the government dictated it to be illegal to fly it. If the government didn't stick its nose where it didn't belong, some people might still fly it. I can fly a Nazi flag if I want to. People might not like it, but I am WITHIN my sovereign right to do so.

Hey, for all I care fly a Nazi flag and a Confederate flag on everything you own. You do have the right to do that.

When I see the flags I'll just see you waving "IDIOT" around proudly and probably avoid you as is my right.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Originally posted by s4
hehe :headbang:

there is nothing wrong with flying it to as a symbol of our history

it's not about slavery or the Civil War. it's about being a rebel and rebelling against the establishment.

Look, another example of failure of the public school system. I, a few years ago, made a joke referring to the Mason/Dixon line,to my, then 16 & 13 year old, nieces. The both looked at me as if I'd spoken Sudanese.

Put simply-the flag of the confederacy is a symbol of racism & division, as I've said. It is an historical symbol to be shown in it's true light-not to be paraded around on a hot rod from a bad TV show or off some rednecks 4x4. He may very well have the right to do so, which is a right worth preserving. I also have the right to look upon said individual in a less than stellar light for his lack of understanding the true depth of sorrow & bloodshed in which that rebel symbol illustrates.

G

you took my words out of context. that is not what i said. Gonz have you ever considered a job in law enforcement?

BadBrain

I'm sorry but the premise for this thread is lame.

First, it's based on the unquantifiable and unscientific assertion that 'black people are more racist than white people' so that's a reason to fly the confederate flag.

There are racist black and there are many more non-racist blacks. There are racist whites and there are many more non-racist whites. When you fly the confederate flag you make the conscious choice to align yourself with racist whites. It's your right. And that should not be taken away. But it's my right to have absolutely no respect for a grown man flying the confederate flag in the 21st century.

Symbol of rebellion? Only in the most immature pissing-on-the-front-lawn form of shock-value rebellion. Why not wear a white hood to the grocery store? That would symbolise rebelling against the establishment too -- and also be a nice nod to an unsavory chapter in the American history books.

Confederate flags as representative of Jefferson Davis and his soldiers represent slavery. They represent the herding of humans like cattle, the torture and beating of men and the raping of women. Those flags represent denying of the rights of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to people living on American soil.

They are un-American because they go against everything that is good and just about America.

Think about it.

G

i think that by trying to hide or keep the Confederate flag from view is just a cowards way of trying to act like it never happened. one should just accept that it represents a chapter in US history and move forward. keeping it in view is a constant reminder so that we don't revert to the ways of the past, but hiding increases the possibilty that what went on will be forgotten.

i should add one more thing. i posted this because it looked like something that would get the people talking here. it worked. :D :headbang:

flavio

Banned
Cool, so we should take most of what you say as a bunch of crap that you don't really believe but are just using to stir the pot?