Constituent Feminism??? It's a two way street then isn't it??

BeardofPants

Gonz said:
Feminism was good.

Today it's femi-nazi.

How is that helping with the problem? Granted, there are a few bad eggs that don't help with the 'cause', but why should the rest of us have to pay for it? I'm a proud feminist, and I'm not going to change the name to something else, because of a few extremists. The fact that women still don't earn as high as men (in NZ anyway) means that there is still a lack of equalism between the sexes. However, it's not a one-way street: pidgeon-holing occurs with both sexes, unfortunately. A male nurse will still be asked why he didn't train to be a doctor, just as it is still frowned up for women to work in predominantly male professions. Still, concessions have been made, and we've come a long way since women first got the vote (in New Zealand of all places.) It's not quite a level playing field yet, but we're workin' on it.

Professur

Wow. How insightful.

As with all things, too many people are blind to the shades of grey. Can't say anything against gays without being classes as a homophobe. Can't want wimmen to get ahead without being a wimp. Can't ask a woman to be a stay home mom without being a macho brute.

as stated many times ... I'm all for equality for wimmen ... but it defeats me why they'd want to lower themselves that far. Fire departments have one standard for men, and a lower standard for wimmen. Why? because wimmen want (insist) a job they're patently unqualified for and that's not acceptable. I got pulled over by the cops two weeks ago (there was a white caravan stolen in the area and they were pulling anything that looked like it.) Two wimmen, neither as tall as I am. That's the public security I`m paying taxes for? My father, working for P&W, had to design a system that wimmen could use for applying a bearing race to a shaft. The standard way was that the shaft would be frozen, the bearing race heated, and the two slide together and snugged home with a manual press before they equalized heat and were permanently mated. Well, the wimmen doing the job had filed a complaint. When she had her period, pulling down on the lever would make her squirt into her pad. (No, I'm not making this up) This was an actual issue that a jet engine manufacturer had to address and retool for. I've worked in and around shipping on and off for years. Never once seen a woman expected to lift the 75lbs standard that men have.

And I've said before .... if a woman wants to limit herself to what a man gets ... by all means.

valkyrie

How is that helping with the problem? Granted, there are a few bad eggs that don't help with the 'cause', but why should the rest of us have to pay for it? I'm a proud feminist, and I'm not going to change the name to something else, because of a few extremists. The fact that women still don't earn as high as men (in NZ anyway) means that there is still a lack of equalism between the sexes. However, it's not a one-way street: pidgeon-holing occurs with both sexes, unfortunately. A male nurse will still be asked why he didn't train to be a doctor, just as it is still frowned up for women to work in predominantly male professions. Still, concessions have been made, and we've come a long way since women first got the vote (in New Zealand of all places.) It's not quite a level playing field yet, but we're workin' on it.
I'm a feminist and proud of it!

valkyrie

Wow. How insightful.

As with all things, too many people are blind to the shades of grey. Can't say anything against gays without being classes as a homophobe. Can't want wimmen to get ahead without being a wimp. Can't ask a woman to be a stay home mom without being a macho brute.

as stated many times ... I'm all for equality for wimmen ... but it defeats me why they'd want to lower themselves that far. Fire departments have one standard for men, and a lower standard for wimmen. Why? because wimmen want (insist) a job they're patently unqualified for and that's not acceptable. I got pulled over by the cops two weeks ago (there was a white caravan stolen in the area and they were pulling anything that looked like it.) Two wimmen, neither as tall as I am. That's the public security I`m paying taxes for? My father, working for P&W, had to design a system that wimmen could use for applying a bearing race to a shaft. The standard way was that the shaft would be frozen, the bearing race heated, and the two slide together and snugged home with a manual press before they equalized heat and were permanently mated. Well, the wimmen doing the job had filed a complaint. When she had her period, pulling down on the lever would make her squirt into her pad. (No, I'm not making this up) This was an actual issue that a jet engine manufacturer had to address and retool for. I've worked in and around shipping on and off for years. Never once seen a woman expected to lift the 75lbs standard that men have.

And I've said before .... if a woman wants to limit herself to what a man gets ... by all means.
I'm a woman and I work with all men on my team. There is one other woman on another team. There are 2 women on the Desktop team. I do the same job and I expect the same pay. Women have a tendency to wait for their pay raise and men ask for it. When I do a good job, I say "put your money where your mouth is and give me a raise!" Well I got one. Why? Because I'm outspoken. No one has ever had to change the job description for me on any job I've ever taken and that includes my job in college at the post office: must be able to lift and move 75 pounds.

Inkara1

Must be nice to be able to ask for a pay raise and get it. When I ask, they take a month to tell me no. I've been at the same pay rate since 2005.

valkyrie

Must be nice to be able to ask for a pay raise and get it. When I ask, they take a month to tell me no. I've been at the same pay rate since 2005.
Chrissakes... whata you work for Dell or somethin'? :eek:

They hadn't given the guy I work with a pay raise for over 2 years and I was way under market. I'm just at the very bottom lip of market value for my job. The other guy got a raise to what I now make.

Inkara1

I work for a community newspaper. They have the convenient "no one's buying ads" excuse (even though our publisher drives a BMW and his dad, the regional publisher, just bought a brand-spankin'-new Yukon Denali).

Professur

Lucky bastard. I`ve been steadily backsliding since 2003. Every year I get a raise, and then wind up taking a cut later in the year.

MrBishop

Lucky bastard. I`ve been steadily backsliding since 2003. Every year I get a raise, and then wind up taking a cut later in the year.
Beats being laid off. I've been accepting salary below par to get work. Glut in the damn market!

valkyrie

I work for a community newspaper. They have the convenient "no one's buying ads" excuse (even though our publisher drives a BMW and his dad, the regional publisher, just bought a brand-spankin'-new Yukon Denali).
Not sure what your job is on the newspaper but... I use DICE.com to troll for job prospects. When a company steals from the lower rungs (and not giving a raise in that long IS STEALING) to line the pockets of upper management it's time to move on.

If you're in Information Services, make sure you have a nice kill disc to drop into your laptop/PC to wipe it clean so all the work you did for them at rock bottom prices is lost when you walk out the door. ;)

Just a note on newspapers... I've been following a little bit of the reports on where most newspapers stand financially and most of them are in the shitter looking for buyers. You may want to bail now and look for another line of work or find a job that your current skills can be manipulated to fit.

Inkara1

Sports reporter. But I'm kinda chained to the job because with my recent health stuff, I can't go three months without insurance (and many jobs make you wait three months before you're eligible for health coverage and COBRA is fucking expensive).

Our financial position is better than the large metro dailies because we're not competing with the internet for the "kids' pictures in the paper" beat.

valkyrie

Sports reporter. But I'm kinda chained to the job because with my recent health stuff, I can't go three months without insurance (and many jobs make you wait three months before you're eligible for health coverage and COBRA is fucking expensive).

Our financial position is better than the large metro dailies because we're not competing with the internet for the "kids' pictures in the paper" beat.
Some don't make you wait for coverage. I haven't worked for a company that does that. However, some will do a contract to perm hire and in essence you are waiting a length of time for the benefits they hang over your head like a carrot.

Well... seriously, it sucks because they seem to know you need them (blatant lack of raise and flaunting their wealth in your face).

When I was a teacher the administration seemed to think that teachers couldn't find any other job. It seems like (from what you're saying) that this may be the case with your boss. The school boards and the state didn't give teachers much of a raise ($200/year for another year of experience) if any (some years no raise at all). We now have a serious lack of teachers in every state in the US (especially math and science) as the teachers leave for a better work environment, respect and better pay. There are billboards all over the city that say...
"Want to teach? When can you start?"
How desperate is that?!?

I will have DICE up in a browser window every once in a while when my boss passes by "just keeping up with the market". ;) It lets them know I know my own worth.
Inkster is a sports journo.

*edit: too slow*
Slow ass pants stealer!

Inkara1

I wouldn't say they "flaunt" the wealth... they haven't come in and bragged about the cars or anything. I just notice things. Also, journalismjobs.com sounds like my equivalent of your DICE and postings on that site are a lot fewer these days, especially for the exact set of qualifications I have. My paper is a twice-weekly and I've been there for about four years; a lot of places want five years of experience at a daily.

valkyrie

I hate that! How the hell do you get experience if they require experience to get a job that will give you experience!
*POP! FIZZ! ZAP!*
/short circuits...