CUBS WIN THE DIVISION!

Sharky

Inkara1 said:
How long do you think Torre will have his job if the Sox beat the Yankees?

"I'm never a graceful loser." - George Steinbrenner

Steinbrenner's finger is already poised over the speed dial button . . .

chcr

Too cute for words
Wakefield shut down the Yankees tonight. Lowe is pitching against Pettite tomorrow...should be a good game.
Yep, is it just me, or have this years playoffs been more interesting than others lately? My only worry is: If the Cubs and Red Sox meet in the World Series, will the universe be destroyed rather than let one of them win???? :lol:
I'm a baseball fan first, and a Yankees fan second (and I hate the DH) so good luck everybody, even chowderheads.

Stop Laughing

OMG, what a gutsy win tonight. It really scared me seeing Wood not being as dominant as he could be, but we won the same way the Marlins won game 1, one lone run with a pinch hit RBI in the top of the 11th. Holy cow!

Marlins unite us -- unless they lose
By Dave Barry

I'm a huge Marlins fan. I've been following this plucky team ever since they beat the San Francisco Giants, which was, what, nearly a week ago. I live and die by this team! When they win, I drink champagne and dance all night. This is also what I do when they lose, because there is no point in wasting champagne. But I dance in a more subdued manner.

The last time I was a huge Marlins fan was October 18 through 26, 1997, which happens to be exactly when the Marlins won the World Series against the Cleveland Native Americans. I'm not taking all the credit for that victory: Many Marlins players were also involved.

But I was in the stands for game seven, and when the score was tied in the bottom of the 11th inning, with two out and the potential game-winning Marlin run on third base, I decided that if I buttoned a certain button on my shirt, it might cause the Marlins to get a base hit. A bold tactical gamble? Yes. But it paid off, and the Marlins won, and South Florida erupted in a joyous celebration that lasted until 2:30 the following afternoon, at which time owner Wayne ''The Antichrist'' Huizenga sold all the good players.

But that is the distant past. Today South Florida is, once again, totally and permanently united, for the time being, behind this spunky young Marlins team and its plucky players, including one named ''Pudge'' and another one named ``Spooneybarger.''

CUBS DON'T WIN

You'd think everyone would be rooting for this spunky team, but you'd be wrong. Everyone else in the entire world (including, in a formal statement released today, the Pope) is rooting for the Chicago Cubs. Why? Because, historically, the Cubs stink. They have not won anything for centuries. They are the only team in the National League that fought for the South in the Civil War.

So now everybody is making a big deal about the Cubs, and their fans who've been loyally supporting them through decade after decade of losing -- as if we should APPLAUD them because they wasted generations of perfectly good fan energy rooting for a team that traditionally had as much chance of winning the World Series as the von Trapp Family Singers, with Julie Andrews pitching.

HITTING THE WALL

Does this make any sense? Let's say you're at a restaurant, and you see a man stagger away from the bar and walk directly into the wall, mistaking it for a door, banging his face and falling down, only to pick himself up and walk into the wall again, and then again, over and over. Would you say to yourself: ``I admire that man! He is loyal to the tactic of walking into the wall, in the hope that it eventually will turn into a door!'

No! You'd say: ``He must be a Cubs fan.''

Ha ha! I'm kidding, of course: A true Cubs fan would never leave the bar. But my point is that we South Florida fans deserve some credit for displaying discretion. Yes, we're loyal to our local teams. But if, after a reasonable period of loyalty -- generally, two days -- we perceive that a given local team is unlikely to win a national or world championship, we drop that team like a used napkin and move on to another team, or another sport, or a mall.

IVY-LESS STADIUM

But for now, we're committed to our Marlins, and we'll be out rooting for them this weekend in Formerly Joe Robbie Stadium. Oh, sure, it's not historic Wrigley Field, with the ivy growing on the walls.

This is actually a sign of poor maintenance, but it causes baseball writers -- who spend their entire lives in dingy press boxes where the only green organic thing they ever see is relish -- to spurt little prose orgasms. Wow! Wall vegetation!

Listen, baseball writers: If you like wildlife, South Florida has WAY more wildlife than Chicago! It would not surprise anybody down here if, during a game, a third-base coach was eaten by an alligator.

But it's no use arguing South Florida's merits: Nobody wants us to win, except us.

So let's do our part; let's all go out to Formerly Stadium and root, root, root for our Marlins. Go ''Pudge!'' Go ''Spooneybarger!'' Go ``whoever the other Marlins players are!'

If they don't win, it's the mall.

*growls* At least the Marlins fans show more support than Braves fans. :D

chcr

Too cute for words
:clap::dance::clap::dance::clap::dance::clap:Again.

The Cubbies are kicking butt right now again too. Too bad they'll run into the Yanks in the sereis, huh? :lol:

Dave

typical series with the Yankees though. the same thing happens all the time in the regular season. Sox spilt 2 in NY, then come back to Boston and all hell breaks loose. i just hope it doesn't end the way it usually does ......

chcr

Too cute for words
typical series with the Yankees though. the same thing happens all the time in the regular season. Sox spilt 2 in NY, then come back to Boston and all hell breaks loose. i just hope it doesn't end the way it usually does ......

That's been happening for as long as I can remember too, Spot.

chcr

Too cute for words
Now that was a bit more satisfying.

Hey, didn't there used to be a thread about the Cubs?? :rofl:

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Ahhh...The Cubs....

Game 6...

Prior starting...

In Chicago...

[Rod Stewart]~Tonights the night....its gonna be alright..~[/Rod Stewart]

Dave

[paranoid sox fan rant] of couse the Sox and Cubs are going to lose. steinbrenner would never allow the yankess to lose to the sox and there is no way he will let them be the sentimental underdogs to the cubs. he's paid everyone off!!! [/paranoid sox fan rant]

:lol2: