Curso de español

Aunty Em

Luis G said:
There's one "weird" letter in spanish:

ñ = alt 164
Ñ = alt 165

On my keyboard English (British) - English (US) is different

alt 164 = € and 165 does nothing.

I have added Spanish (traditional) to my keyboard in Control Panel(CP).

So far I have found:

; = ñ
# = ç
shift + = = ¿
shift + - = ?
= = ¡
! is in it's usual place

I'm still looking for the accented vowels. Castillian - which I'm learning still uses these accents.

All the symbols they have replaced have moved to other keys but you'll have to find those for yourself or I'll be here for hours.

You can switch between languages by enabling left shift + alt(default) or ctrl + shift (easier for me) in control panel. Plus an icon in sytray to remind you which language is enabled.

Aunty Em

Scanty said:
Im Deutschland das wetter shite ist.

:headbang:

Ja, but it's worse in the UK.

Mein mutter ist deutsch. But don't ask me to speak it, verstat u mij niet, ik sprek ein klein beetje Nederlands.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
on the US english keyboard you will find accents in the ' key (one key right to the ; ), press it and then press the vowel you want, it should appear "accentuated"

Aunty Em

Luis G said:
on the US english keyboard you will find accents in the ' key (one key right to the ; ), press it and then press the vowel you want, it should appear "accentuated"

Gracias. That works on the British keyboard as well so long as Spanish is selected. Now perhaps I will remember where to put them because I´m always forgetting. :)

PS: I've just discovered that Word supports a Spanish spelling and Grammer checker. Of course it never occured to me before but quite logically it should. While using the Spanish keyboard and happily typing away it asked if I wanted to install that feature - so no more spelling mistakes in my homework. Brilliant! :D :D :D

Aunty Em

Aunty Em said:
- so no more spelling mistakes in my homework. Brilliant! :D :D :D

A codicil: My spelling is getting better I'm actually begining to remember where to put the accents without help. :)

lightstorm

I was reading a story in Spanish and I came upon these words I didn't know ?( Can somebody help me?
la fisonomía
asmejarse
el transeúnte
madrugar
solazarse
embozar
atravezar
budarse
renegar
risueño
suizo
lo inútil
ser capaz de
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Jeslek

Banned
lightstorm said:
I was reading a story in Spanish and I came upon these words I didn't know ?( Can somebody help me?
la fisonomía - appearance
asmejarse - ?
el transeúnte - passerby
madrugar - ?
solazarse - ?
embozar - ?
atravezar - ?
budarse - ?
renegar - ?
risueño - ?
suizo - Swiss
lo inútil - useless thing
ser capaz de - to be able
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
My spanish sucks.

Aunty Em

asemejarse - to resemble

embozar - to muzzle
madrugar - to get up early
atravezar - to cross or to go through
risueño - laughing/smiling(always)
renegar - to deny

Verbs with 'se' (e.g. budarse) on the end are reflexsive verbs and mean to do something to oneself and are preceded by the personal pronoun e.g. me levanto a las siete(I get up at 7 - literally - I get myself up at 7). Drop the 'se' and look for the infinitive, or try conjugating the verb e.g. me budo (budarse) or you could try putting the whole sentence into an online translator e.g.

http://www.freetranslation.com/ - you may have more luck.

I'm trying to find an online dictionary because I need it too for my homework. :)

Found this one: http://www.spanishdict.com/

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
la fisonomía - physonomy??
asmejarse - i assume this is "asemejarse" which is "to be like"
el transeúnte - a walker
madrugar - to get up early in the morning
solazarse - to have a distraction
embozar - to cover the low part of your face
atravezar - to get through
budarse - wtf??, maybe it is "burlarse" which means "to laugh at"
renegar - to deny again
risueño - to have that kind of "smile" in your face
suizo - swiss
lo inútil - the unusable, the pointless, the non-workable
ser capaz de - be capable of

To be honest, i didn't know the meaning of solazarse and embozar and i have never ever heard that words before.

lightstorm

Wow great! t :) Thanks alot!
I really need to buy a complete Spanish dictionary instead of using those "pocket" ones all the time.