dell dj

tonksy

anyone have one of these little puppies? heard anything positive or negative? i am thinking of cashing in my penny jar for one...either that or crawling up on santa's lap and batting my lashes.

HomeLAN

No, but I just went through the whole MP3 process for the spouse. What are you gonna do with it? Lots of bouncing around, or relatively stable environment? Need a FM tuner included? Need a way to interface with the car stereo? Etc....

tonksy

HomeLAN said:
No, but I just went through the whole MP3 process for the spouse. What are you gonna do with it? Lots of bouncing around, or relatively stable environment? Need a FM tuner included? Need a way to interface with the car stereo? Etc....
i want it for in the car, tub, dentist waiting room etc. the car adapter would be nice.
but the major thing is that i want all of my music on it and i want it to be able to play randomly.
i was thinking ipod but christ! i don't need a day planner or games on the darn thing.

HomeLAN

For everything you've got, plus room for lunch, you don't need any more than 10 GB. No need for any frills. After those parameters are set, it's largely shop on price. Dell probably isn't gonna be the cheapest that'll meet your needs.

MrBishop

...and fools seldom differ.

Why the hell would anyone need to walk around with 30gb of music? Whatsa matter...can't make up your mind about what youlike or don't like so you have to have everything?!~?

MrBishop

Damn...is the terrabyteMP3 far away?

Xclef the first to release 100GB MP3 player
Posted Oct 21, 2004, 11:00 AM ET by Ryan Block
Related entries: Engadget: Portable Audio

Did we call it or what? Xclef finally got around to releasing a 100GB version of their Xclef 500 player. It’s still supposed to have that crazy 20-hour battery life, mic, analog and optical line-in encoding, FM radio, and FM recording. They get props for breaking the barrier, but really all they did was toss a 100GB drive in their previous player, so you know, very light pat on the back, good job guys, you worked hard to get here.

Source

MrBishop

Strike that....i'm too slow to catch up with recent news it seems.

Monday August 9, 2004 2:46 PM GMT
By: Fabrizio Pilato
Source: DigiTimes

The Industrial Technology Research Institute along with several local IT firms in Taiwan have plans to soon mass produce a new type of memory called “μcard”, that is scheduled to be unveiled at Taitronics in Taipei this October according to sources.

With the flood of new memory card types, who really needs another? The μcard is an exception to that, it will be able to transfer data at 120MB per second, 10x faster than current SD cards, and about 7x faster than Compact Flash. That’s not the only benefit, the maximum card size is almost limitless, with capabilities of having up to 2 terabytes on a single 24x32x1.4mm card.

Source

tonksy

steve? the dell one starts at $199. the one in the link is $229.
also, i've been pruning some files and i have 88 hours of music on my hd and i want it all in any player i buy.

chcr

Too cute for words
Bish said:
Why the hell would anyone need to walk around with 30gb of music? Whatsa matter...can't make up your mind about what youlike or don't like so you have to have everything?!~?

Now that you mention it... :D

HomeLAN

The 199 one is a 5 gigger. That wouldn't hold your entire collection right now, although it would come close. My assumption was you'd want to be able to take it all with you with some headroom.

The 20 gigger at Dell is a comparable price, I suppose, but if you're gonna blow $220, might as well get the extra 10 gig. I also hadn't really aggressively shopped it. Try this:

http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?refer=cnet.com&id=1001672

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Huh, and I thought I was pretty cool to have a 256mb usb pendrive finally. Walking around with a 10 or 30gb hard drive would scare me I think. Any drop tests done on these, I'm not the most careful person when it comes to this stuff.

HomeLAN

Yup! If you're gonna use it while working out, or biking, etc., go for a flash based unit, not a hard drive unit. Issue with those is that they currently limit you to 1 GB spacewise, and a unit with 1 gig will run you around $300.

PT

I think I'll keep to the cd player. I can pretty well choose 20 or so songs that I'd like to listen to. That gives me over an hour of music and it plays on a device that costs me 40 bucks to replace. 20 if you go for the Walmart special these days.

chcr

Too cute for words
I have a portable cd player that plays MP3 cds. 120+ songs per disc. I have a ciggy lighter adapter and line in on my car stereo too. It works for me.

tonksy

HomeLAN said:
The 199 one is a 5 gigger. That wouldn't hold your entire collection right now, although it would come close. My assumption was you'd want to be able to take it all with you with some headroom.

The 20 gigger at Dell is a comparable price, I suppose, but if you're gonna blow $220, might as well get the extra 10 gig. I also hadn't really aggressively shopped it. Try this:

http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?refer=cnet.com&id=1001672
that sounds good. that'd be 19200 pennies....plus tax.

BeardofPants

MrBishop said:
...and fools seldom differ.

I'm buying the BF a 20 gig iPod for xmas. Our mp3 collection is well into the 30 gigs. Be kinda nice to be able stick a lot of it on without having to arse around changing the tracks every other week. (used to have a 5 gig).:shrug:

PT

chcr said:
I have a portable cd player that plays MP3 cds. 120+ songs per disc. I have a ciggy lighter adapter and line in on my car stereo too. It works for me.
The cd player in my car plays mp3's, but I can only put about 90 songs on each. For some reason if I fill it the last 20 songs or so skip really bad. Don't know what causes that but I suspect the player has trouble reading the outside of the disc.