dell dj

Djcake

PT said:
The cd player in my car plays mp3's, but I can only put about 90 songs on each. For some reason if I fill it the last 20 songs or so skip really bad. Don't know what causes that but I suspect the player has trouble reading the outside of the disc.
try burning the cd at a slower speed... if you havent already done so

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I did. Got a 52x, waited once burning it at 4x. Excruciating I tell ya. Didn't make a difference, that's why I'm pretty sure it's in the player. Damn thing skips like crazy on regular cd's too, but does fine on mp3 cds. Always figured that was just cause of the amount of data it had to read.

chcr

Too cute for words
Yeah, I'd say it must be the player. My player is a cheap Koss unit (I bought it to see how it would work out and it works so well I don't want to replace it). I can burn my MP3s at any speed and have no problems. Sound quality is fine (well, not with the cheesy headphones it came with) and it plays great through my Alpine system in the car. It will skip if you bounce it around to much, but other than that it's fine.

staffrodore

Damn I need to upgrade, I always wondered why I play my vinyl in the car it skips, jumps and generally scratches my records.

I hear tapes have come out now.....

Inkara1

PT said:
I did. Got a 52x, waited once burning it at 4x. Excruciating I tell ya. Didn't make a difference, that's why I'm pretty sure it's in the player. Damn thing skips like crazy on regular cd's too, but does fine on mp3 cds. Always figured that was just cause of the amount of data it had to read.
I just, within the last week or two, retired my 4x4x24 CD-RW drive. You waited for a 4X burn once... I waited over and over again for almost five years.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Inkara1 said:
I just, within the last week or two, retired my 4x4x24 CD-RW drive. You waited for a 4X burn once... I waited over and over again for almost five years.
I had an external 4x burner for my first one. I remember being pretty impressed that I could burn a whole cd in just under a half hour. I'm spoiled now. My brother-in-law has dial up. When I need to download stuff for him I'll drive home, download, burn and bring it back. I really don't think it goes that much faster but it sure feels like it does anyway.

HomeLAN

Heh. I had to install AOL on a new build this weekend and do a bunch o' stuff over dail-up at the client's site. I sat there, chewing my fingernails, waiting for shit to download. Spoiled, indeed.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
PT said:
it wasn't that long ago that a 2x burner was wicked-fast.

and tonks, about the Dell, I don't know anything about the player, but i do know enough about Dell to know that they are pretty worthless, especially if you run into problems or have a reasonable request. Unless you don't mind sitting on hold while Apu in Karachi sips tea (they don't drink coffee there :D). i personally have an iRiver iHP-120 and I love it, although it is pricier ($300 when I got it), it's got a lot of spiffy features that I use, you might want to look at their cheaper flash drive units if you just want a couple of albums to take with you. basically, the flash players have become a real commodity item, prices are down so far that if you buy a cheap one and it dies after a year you just go and buy a new one. you still some geek-premium on the disk-based players, iPod, H120, etc.

HomeLAN

Got the wife a 1 gig iRiver, and she's pleased. I kinda preferred the Muvos, but this one had everything she wanted at the right price.

chcr

Too cute for words
HomeLAN said:
Heh. I had to install AOL on a new build this weekend and do a bunch o' stuff over dail-up at the client's site. I sat there, chewing my fingernails, waiting for shit to download. Spoiled, indeed.

I keep a 3com network card on hand against just such an incidence. ;) The trick is to write down all the settings you change so that you can change them back. I've done the AOL install thing a couple of times that way, it's faster than waiting for dial-up but you do have to change a few AOL settings as well as the Windows ones.

chcr

Too cute for words
I've been lucky so far. The only person who wanted to watch came to the house. She was a friend of the wife. She switched to cable internet after seeing how fast it was. :D I should figure out how to get a kickback from them too, huh?

HomeLAN

I treis, I truly tried, to sell him on the idea of DSL or cable. No go. However, I also left him downloading musicmatch. Wait til he decides to start downloading WMA's. We'll revisit the whole high speed access topic at that point.

Muhahahahahaaaaaa!

Inkara1

One advantage of working at Radio Shack is that if I convince someone to sign up for DSL, I actually DO get paid for it. :D