Dial "R" for Retro

Cerise

Gimme gimme! Isn't it schweet?

retrophone_handset.jpg

The Retro Phone Handset is a new production replica of the Western Electric 500-series model, which was the classic phone handset for several decades. It's been slightly modified to work with the headset jack of most cell phones (or via a "hands free" adapter kit, sold elsewhere). Just plug-in and dial - or for added effect, put your cell phone in your pant's pocket - then it looks like you're talking on a phone connected to... well, who knows?

retrophone_handset-inuse.jpg

What's not to love?

(This coming from someone who has their folks' old

regencystreet_1891_116116102

as a prop on the end table)

unclehobart

I'd like to have one of those early 80s full blown military style suitcase phones. Then I can style up with my polyester suit and Ray_Bans and hit the streets with my DeLorean.

Stylin'

Professur

I'd just like to have one of those old black desktop rotary phones. Even if it had to be converted to tone. When I think phone, that's still what I think of.

catocom

Professur said:
I'd just like to have one of those old black desktop rotary phones. Even if it had to be converted to tone. When I think phone, that's still what I think of.
I got one, stored around here somewhere. (don't know if it's rusted out by now)
I wonder if it's worth anything?:nerd:

Man. I got soooo much junk around here to weed through,.....but you never
know....Somebody might want it, or, there may be a part off something I can use.
I don't think I have that disorder where I save everything, but I am bad about
holding on to things until I see there's absolutely no need/use for it "ever".:confused:

catocom

AB, he said "have".:D
Prof I think there's still one on my dad's work bench where he did his main
work on making teeth.
Lemme check and see.....
If I find it you can have it when you're down here. ;)

Professur

In fact, there's a big reason. Evidently, your parents are still on an old phone switch. Most phone company switches were changed during the 80s from pulse to tone. In fact, if you find an old 70's or 80's push button phone, there'll usually be a switch on it marked tone-pulse.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
In fact, there's a big reason. Evidently, your parents are still on an old phone switch. Most phone company switches were changed during the 80s from pulse to tone. In fact, if you find an old 70's or 80's push button phone, there'll usually be a switch on it marked tone-pulse.

My mom has a phone which is rotary dial (pulse) and we have a push button phone that the tone part is broke so it's used on pulse...you're telling me they shouldn't work? Cause they do work...

Professur

Depends on the switch, is what I said. Most were switched out long ago. If the phone company is still detecting a pulse signal on your line, you'd be kept on a legacy switch, obviously.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
Depends on the switch, is what I said. Most were switched out long ago. If the phone company is still detecting a pulse signal on your line, you'd be kept on a legacy switch, obviously.

Ah, I thought you said it had to be one or the other, not both...cause we do have tone service too.

I guess we're lucky cause that dial phone is the original phone my mom and dad got when they moved into their own house in Newfoundland.

rrfield

Funny, the Nortel DMS-100 and it's little brother the DMS-10 support pulse dialing. The DMS-100 is the most deployed PSTN switch in North America.

rrfield

i just made a rotory call. my CO has a 4 year old DMS-100. I know how old it is because I was in the CO during part of the install.

rrfield

You hate being wrong, don't you?

Just so ya know, the pluse/dial thing is linecard dependent, not switch dependent.

Professur

I'll just go tell the french speaking guy who's training all the new linesmen in back about how wrong he is. I'm sure he'll be devestated.

rrfield

And I'll tell my CO they better stop accepting pulse dialing because some Canadian said they can't.