"Direct deposit?"

Professur

MrBishop said:
Once, I think...but I have accidentally tossed coins and paper money onto the sidewalk whilst removing something else from my pocket..losing it.

So you're careless about your cash? I've dealt death blows to at least 6 bank cards. That would be lost cash, without carelessness.

The trick would be to carry only what you need...exactly like cash. Or like a 'la puce' phone card. I've got a $20 "La puce" phone card with about $14 left on it... if I lose it or it gets 'demagnetised'...it's still lost. Beats the hell out of hauling around quarters for the phone or begging for change for a parking meter.

Opinion. Not fact. BTW, you obviously haven't tried parking on St-Catherine street recently. It's all electronic meters. And many take interac and charge cards.

It's the same as money... if you normally walk around with only $40 cash, transfer only $40 to the cash card. Treat it exactly the same, 'cept instead of going to an ATM machine to get paper money, you go to transfer money to your 'card'.
No, it's nothing like money. Example. I've serviced three clients who's debit/credit systems were crashed recently. Did they close their doors? Nope. They simply continued using cash. Will your card work to drop a fiver for a bum on the sidewalk? Or pay for girlguide cookies at your door?

ATM's are worst... a parishioner found out exactly why. Someone got her card double-swiped and got her pin (cel phone camera and someone standing behind her). Buddy deposited a piece of paper at an ATM machine..said that it was $2000. Then buddy went to about 5 different machines and took out as much money as he could. Her account prior to him starting ~$200.00 ...amount he stole from the bank $2200.00 She's lucky that she wasn't held responsible for all of it.

Carelessness on her part. The missus once lost the entire housekeeping because she stood in line with her handbag slung behind her. Hardly a reason to go changing the entire monetary system.

MrBishop

Professur said:
So you're careless about your cash? I've dealt death blows to at least 6 bank cards. That would be lost cash, without carelessness.
Careless...no, shit happens. Who hasn't lost quarters in a couch or had them roll out of pockets while sitting down. Death blows? What..intentionally?

Professur said:
Opinion. Not fact. BTW, you obviously haven't tried parking on St-Catherine street recently. It's all electronic meters. And many take interac and charge cards.
Not everyone has a cel-phone. Ever try to break a bill to use the phone? Most stores won't give you change unless you buy something.

Works great on Ste-Catherine street...but JUST ste-Catherine street... most streets don't have that option yet...that may change, but not yet. Certainly not on the Shore.

Professur said:
No, it's nothing like money. Example. I've serviced three clients who's debit/credit systems were crashed recently. Did they close their doors? Nope. They simply continued using cash. Will your card work to drop a fiver for a bum on the sidewalk? Or pay for girlguide cookies at your door?
They probably had to either turn away clients who didn't have cash or ask them to hit an interac machine and come back (in some cases, losing the client). As for the bum and the girl guide. :shrug: You still couldn't do it with a credit card or an interac card. Cash still has some uses... but that doesn't discount cash-cards.

Professur said:
Carelessness on her part. The missus once lost the entire housekeeping because she stood in line with her handbag slung behind her. Hardly a reason to go changing the entire monetary system.
There's carelessness and there's being preyed on by pros.
Not change ... update.

Inkara1

When I didn't have a cell phone, I had a calling card that would let me use any pay phone and charge it to my regular phone bill. It was a little on the expensive side but came in handy several times, especially after the big earthquake when I needed to know ASAP if everyone was OK.

I also don't have problems with losing change because my wallet has a change pouch in it.