"Direct deposit?"

ClaireBear

Banned
Inkara1 said:
8.5 percent is pretty decent over here... I'm not sure exactly what the norm is there but in the US 8.5 percent isn't bad at all for a credit card.

In the US, you'll get turned down for a big bank loan if you don't have enough credit history. It's possible some banks will lend to you, but at punitive interest rates. The only way to really be able to do it is to start small, either with one credit card, or financing something fairly small (like a computer or something like that). Also, a cell phone is a good way to build credit (most people with cell phones here get billed monthly, but that requires a credit check), although if you're just starting out you might have to pay a large deposit before you can get a phone.

Thats the thing here... most investments never really check credit thoroughly.. hense the mess some people end up in.

I have very little time for those who flash big "gold" credit cards or those posh AmEx special invitation cards...

"All fur coat and nee knickers" as my Nan would say...

Pay by debit (the cash being in your account in that case) or by cash... and I'm impressed!

Starya

Never had a credit card, have not intention of getting one.

I got a new card (whaddya call it, ATM-card or something?) from my bank a month ago, this one has maestro. I was told that meant I could use it in ATM's in some European countries. So, you have Maestro in Britain? Goody. I'm going there next week..

ClaireBear

Banned
Starya said:
Never had a credit card, have not intention of getting one.

I got a new card (whaddya call it, ATM-card or something?) from my bank a month ago, this one has maestro. I was told that meant I could use it in ATM's in some European countries. So, you have Maestro in Britain? Goody. I'm going there next week..

Yup... Maestro has taken over our old Switch system... not only can you use it in ATM's but you can also use it to purchase items and pay for serivices in the same way you'd use a credit card.

One thing though... here most cards are now "chipped" instead of asking for a signiture... the shop assistant/waiter etc will insert your card into a little table top machine and you enter you PIN... (its often the same number you'd use to make a withdrawl from the ATM)

Where abouts are you going?

Raven

Annoying SOB
Claire, if they are offering a CC at 8.5%, take it....mines 15.1% so thats bloody brilliant. And yes you can use Maestro/Switch with PayPal.....I have my Solo set up on there and no bugger takes Solo!

ClaireBear

Banned
Raven said:
Claire, if they are offering a CC at 8.5%, take it....mines 15.1% so thats bloody brilliant. And yes you can use Maestro/Switch with PayPal.....I have my Solo set up on there and no bugger takes Solo!

Is it?

Ack... no... Don't want it.... probably just a first month offer or summit anyway... no way!!!!

The er PayPal thingy... who's address do they want? :ashamed: mine?

Raven

Annoying SOB
More'n likely ;)

It's kinda like a bank acount in that you need your personal details there, it holds your money and stuff and kind of not at the same time.

ClaireBear

Banned
Raven said:
More'n likely ;)

It's kinda like a bank acount in that you need your personal details there, it holds your money and stuff and kind of not at the same time.

Ooooooh no!

Don't like that idea...

*CB slips card back into her wallet and kisses it tenderly*

Phew! narrow escape their cash! Wasn't it?

:D :D

Raven

Annoying SOB
It's completely secure Claire....theft of identity or funds from there is as likely as your high street bank having it's safe cracked.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
There's no need to pay interests to the bank as long as you pay everything you owe each month.

I would get one, but the banks over here charge you an annual comission of about US$70 just for having the card :rolleyes:

HomeLAN

CC's, when used properly, are basically cash. You charge it, and pay the damn thing off IN FULL at the end of the month. No interest, no fees.

In addition, most cards give you protection on your purchases, rewards (cash or mileage), and it's a hell of a lot easier to kill a stolen card than to recover stolen cash. A stolen debit card can be stopped, but whatever the thief put on it is your problem. Not so with a CC. Here in the states, your liability on a stolen CC is capped at $50.

They also add convenience. Ever try to rent a car or reserve a hotel room without a CC? It can be dine, but it's a major PITA. In addition, try to buy a car without a credit history. Forget it. A house, maybe, but not a car.

Get one, use it responsibly, and it'll pay you back.

ClaireBear

Banned
Ahhhhh... pain... pain... pain in the wallet area... :D

And yet it still glows red!

I ain't getting a credit card... my dad rents a car without every year... you buy a car out right using a loan from your bank... its simple and sleepless night free...

I ain't gonna be coersed (sp) into thinking debt (other than a secured loan) of any kind for any period of time is acceptable

Raven

Annoying SOB
Sure it is.....you have a debt that needs paying off right now but you dont have any money till the end of the month. It's your last chance before legal action. You have a credit card and will have the funds to cover it when you get paid. Would you use it then?

HomeLAN

Oh, it's not completely necessary. While I'd have to qualify you as financially retarded and not the sharpest knife in the drawer, you could get by without one. I did until I was 23.

ClaireBear

Banned
Raven said:
Sure it is.....you have a debt that needs paying off right now but you dont have any money till the end of the month. It's your last chance before legal action. You have a credit card and will have the funds to cover it when you get paid. Would you use it then?

But I don't get into debt.. because I don't own a store card or a credut card....

What debt can I get into other than an over draft which I've already proven to my bank I'm good for it... given time... cos I'll work my ass off to cover it!!!!

So I wouldn't have a debt to cover by getting into more debt with a credit card!!

Ever heard of "The Bank of Dad" anyway... 0% interest for life... IF he remembers!

ClaireBear

Banned
HomeLAN said:
Oh, it's not completely necessary. While I'd have to qualify you as financially retarded and not the sharpest knife in the drawer, you could get by without one. I did until I was 23.

Let me guess...

You feed your family using a credit card don't you?

I'm financially retarded and slow... for actually PAYING FOR THINGS!! Wishing to live without a life of sleepless nights, fear and torment.... m'kay!

HomeLAN

No, I feed my family using my hard earned cash, but it runs through a credit card for 1-3 weeks first. If they wanna let me use their money for 3 weeks for free, I'll take it. Then I pay it off.

So, rather than earn 3 weeks of free interest on your money, you'd rather lay out the cash right fucking NOW? Doesn't sound all that intelligent to me.

As for sleepless nights, discipline conquers fear in this area. Plan right, no fear.