discuss: creative arts and design forum

ris

seeing as this has recently become a topic of interest to members here it would be of great use to mods and admins to keep the discussion all in one place and in the correct forum.

so... who wants one, who doesn't, what should it be like, about, for whom and why

:)

B

Bubba

ok by me, i would like fury to be the mod of it. that's what i suggest.

[b]

who wants one? me.

what should it be like?

open forum for artistic expression for users wishing constructive criticism. subjects would include photography, pencil/pen/ink drawings, paintings, photographs of sculptures, poetry and creative writing.

subjects should be original work by the poster.

why? i think stuff like this isn't "heavy" enough for the real world while being having a more serious tone then the lunatic lounge offers.

I'd seriously like to be considered as a mod for this forum.

ris

i think that issue of moderation should be kept for a seperate thread or discussion if and when the admins decide that a new forum is to be created. at this moment the notion of what the forum should be about is of principle importance.

personally speaking i can see it becoming very 'heavy' indeed - people can get very defensive of their art/design.

i think it should also include webdesign, and of course architecture ;)

B

Bubba

If we are going to open a discussion for a new mod, I nominate unclehobart. He has been very active on the board and has contributed financially.

[b]

personally speaking i can see it becoming very 'heavy' indeed - people can get very defensive of their art/design.

yes, but that's why i put emphasis on constructive criticism. i certainly wouldn't want to post any of my photos up here and have somebody come along and go, "hey, that's shit" with no explanation. personal taste is personal taste, but the whole purpose of posting anything here would be to get real. honest feedback as to ways something can be improved, or a general feel of how people react to something.

this forum could easily run itself into the ground with heated personal attacks because somebody got offended by either the art or the criticism.

i think it should also include webdesign, and of course architecture

i agree with architecture, but i'm not so sure about webdesign. personally, i feel that would be something best left for hardware central, not off topic central.

ris

nominations for mods will be opened as and when the issue of the creation of a new forum has been had and decisions made accordingly.

ris

hardwarecentral has no webdesign forum

even when criticism is constructive it can easily become heated and seen as personal. i remember well a thread at xibase where a member asked for feedback. i gave him constructive critism and was flamed.
when you are dealing with art it is often personal in its creation, criticism of such a thing can easily be taken badly, even if the feedback is well meant.

[b]

hardwarecentral has no webdesign forum

that's too bad. the only problem i see is if we did have a "feedback" forum, it seems like it might need to be broken into a few subgroups. a section for written work, a section for webdesign and computer generated imagies, and a section for "art", i.e. photos, drawings, paintings, architecture, and sculptures.

then again, maybe that's overcomplicating things...

when you are dealing with art it is often personal in its creation, criticism of such a thing can easily be taken badly, even if the feedback is well meant.

very true. it's up to the poster to understand that if they are putting their work up, they are bound to get someone who doesn't like what they are doing. i also feel that the person doing the responding should make sure they do so with as much tact as possible.

at the risk of sounding like a broken record, the whole purpose is to get constructive criticisim. if you are posting you want feedback, good or bad, and if you are giving feedback, you're doing so because you want to help the person improve upon what they've created.

who ever does mod this is going to have a lot of fun doing so ;)

ris

i doubt that the forum will initially be so busy as to need the divsion of artisitic types. as yet in the real world we haven't needed to seperate politics, religion, current affairs etc, or films, cartoons, jokes and the like from ents.

i do think webdesign should be in the forum though, it has as much design input as other disciplines. and hardwarecentrals call for a webby's forum was always more about 'help me with flash' or 'my html code sucks' than design quality or issues of creating clean navigation, colours, fonts etc.

[b]

i doubt that the forum will initially be so busy as to need the divsion of artisitic types. as yet in the real world we haven't needed to seperate politics, religion, current affairs etc, or films, cartoons, jokes and the like from ents.

cool

i do think webdesign should be in the forum though, it has as much design input as other disciplines. and hardwarecentrals call for a webby's forum was always more about 'help me with flash' or 'my html code sucks' than design quality or issues of creating clean navigation, colours, fonts etc.

ok, one question. what would you post exactly? just links to the website, or screenshots?

ok, so that's two questions, bite me. :D

ris

links to the website would be fine, or if as yet un-hosted a screenshot or even photoshop composite / sketch would do i should think.

greenfreak

I think it's a great idea. I, for one, didn't really post any of my stuff as a seperate thread in the main forums because I was a little bashful about it. If there was a seperate forum for it, I probably would.

I think including web design would be good too because if you're just starting out, who better to give constructive criticism on color choices, fonts, layouts, etc. than the lot of us? :) Hell, I could use some of that criticism myself.

Jeslek

Banned
Initially I was neutral on the idea because I'm really not an artistic type person, but if supports it I will throw myself in behind him. So sure, I think its a good idea. )

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
I realy like the idea.
As for the moderation of it we could always put up a disclaimer that if you do not give an explanation for the critisism then its deleted. out of the thread. that way people know up front that derogatory statments without explanation will not be tollerated.
I too think that web design should be added.:D

B

Bubba

i cannot wait. i have taken a pic of myself and used psp to make me look like Micheal Jackson. you will be surprised how good it came out. hehe.