discuss: creative arts and design forum

Vortex

Heehee, I brought up the idea, so obviously it gets my vote :D

Think it should be a placee where people can share anything creative, getting comments and criticism from the fellow board members, blah blah blah :D

Viva La Creative Arts and Design Forum!!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I think the forum has a lot of potential to allow people to express themselves in a better way than through text posting. Of course, stories and poems posted in text would still be text but some people are better at self-expression through story or poem than through straight statements. Then some people are better at drawing than putting their feelings into words. It's a good way to vent, to gather up your thoughts and put them on to some medium whether it be for the sake of keeping your sanity or sharing a beautiful thing with the world.

B

Bubba

i suggest that the members nominate the potential mods, and the mods vote on the nominations

HomeLAN

The only thing that occurs to me is that this forum would naturally lend itself to a lot of attached images. Is this an issue with server space?The only thing that occurs to me is that this forum would naturally lend itself to a lot of attached images. Is this an issue with server space?

ris

my thought would be that it might be appropriate to have a maximum size [width-height] of images. this will serve to reduce load times [ever tried to load 20 1600x1200 screeshots on dialup retard] but will also cut server load and make life easier on those with smaller screen resolutions.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
Space shouldnt be an issue. But i still think there should be a size limitation.

Vortex

samcurry said:
Space shouldnt be an issue. But i still think there should be a size limitation.
Well I was thinking that people should get seperate hosting for their images, and then link them to such a forum... would that be a better idea?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I think the size limitation should include the dimensions of the pic too. I don't mind the filesize, cause I've got broadband everywhere, but I hate scrolling through a topic with 2048x1564 pics. It just throws everything off. I think most of us are using 1024 x 768 now, except ris or Justin who just have incredible eyesight apparently, so a max picture size of 800 x 600 would fit nicely and should still be good enough detail.

ris

i agree pt, its also a good practice to get into for those who are showing pics as if images can't be seen as complete then the composition will be unclear and any suggestions made may not be appropriate or accurate.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
We've got a gig of disk space now... and the per-attachment size limit is still 300k, so people would either have to find a separate hosting place to have their images or size them down to fit here. It took us 7 months to hit 100mb of attachments, I think by the time we hit the point where 1 gig is not enough, we'll have figured out how to host the sites on our own with a dedicated server.

[b]

i would prefer an image size limitation over a file size limitation. am i correct in stating the images stored on the server have a short lifespan anyway? i was pretty sure i remembered reading something about them being deleted after so many days/weeks/months. if storage became an issue could files under the new forum be given a shorter lifespan?

samcurry

Staff member
As far as i know the attachment are part of the database here. and we dont purge or delete it so the lifespan is infinite, or as long as we dont have to purge the site for space.

karlwb

I also think that such a forum would be a good ideal.

I have posted a couple of articles in the Leslie's forum as I think that there is the most appropreate place at the moment, but a dedicated area for
creative works would be great. :D

Aunty Em

I think it's a great idea, but what about the copyright issue? Will there be some way of protecting the work?

Scanty

^ a good point

I think if you have articles that associate the work to yourself, it's enough. I could be wrong. I know that, as a writer if you just put copies of your writing in a bank safe then it's secure...

samcurry

Staff member
copyright? Are you saying that your work is copyrighted? its supposed to be your own and if you are posting your own work then there shouldnt be any issues.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I think that's what they mean, Sammy. They don't want other people using their work.