Diversity remains a one way street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Nothing quite as scientific as dismssing a possibility out of hand.

catocom

I personally don't think either should be taught in school.
I don't see where it serves any useful purpose.
These things should be decided upon, and taught at home.

Professur

chcr said:
Sorry, Gato, but I find the creationists to be much "noisier" than the evolutionists. Just my personal view, mind you. Actually, the vast majority of people who support evolution simply ignore creationism.

The "accepted opinion" is ususally the quieter one. A few hundred years back, the Darwin boys were kicking up quite the ruckus.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Professur said:
The "accepted opinion" is ususally the quieter one. A few hundred years back, the Darwin boys were kicking up quite the ruckus.

Yes...but the fact remains that, every time a person with a scientific background says anything even resembling creationism, there is this kind of noisy backlash. They get their degrees questioned, and their livlihood threatened, yet nobody thinks this is wrong? If it was wrong to do that at the turn of the 20th century, then it's wrong to do the same thing to the other group in the 21st century.

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:

There's a question for you guys. What do you think Darwin's theory is? Maybe this should be another thread. :shrug:

Your right though, Prof. The accepted opinion is usually the less noisy one.

Gonz said:
Nothing quite as scientific as dismssing a possibility out of hand.
It's a story, not a possibility. It's like saying it's possible that the Grey Lensman will visit us next week. :shrug:

Professur

Gato_Solo said:
Yes...but the fact remains that, every time a person with a scientific background says anything even resembling creationism, there is this kind of noisy backlash. They get their degrees questioned, and their livlihood threatened, yet nobody thinks this is wrong? If it was wrong to do that at the turn of the 20th century, then it's wrong to do the same thing to the other group in the 21st century.

Part of the problem is those retarded degrees, and titles. Guess what? Noone ever got a doctorate for learning something new. You get them for learning what someone else already discovered, and perpetuating it. And being Expert at it. The problem with being an expert at something is that everyone assumes that what you're an expert at is right. You can just as easily be as expert at being wrong.

Most of archeology today is based on one simple scientific theory. Radioactive decay. Without it, the entire field falls apart. Astronomy leans with as much weight on Red-shift. Neither of which has actually ever progressed beyond theoretical. And both have accepted variances and limitations. But if you don't accept that these two are fact, you can't get anything done. So you plod along, hoping that something will confirm your best guess.

catocom

Professur said:
Part of the problem is those retarded degrees, and titles. Guess what? Noone ever got a doctorate for learning something new. You get them for learning what someone else already discovered, and perpetuating it. And being Expert at it. The problem with being an expert at something is that everyone assumes that what you're an expert at is right. You can just as easily be as expert at being wrong.

Most of archeology today is based on one simple scientific theory. Radioactive decay. Without it, the entire field falls apart. Astronomy leans with as much weight on Red-shift. Neither of which has actually ever progressed beyond theoretical. And both have accepted variances and limitations. But if you don't accept that these two are fact, you can't get anything done. So you plod along, hoping that something will confirm your best guess.
absolutely agree with the first part....

Even as we speak the time line about the Pyramids in Egypt is being challenged
with the doctrines. :confused:

freako104

chcr said:
Sorry, Gato, but I find the creationists to be much "noisier" than the evolutionists. Just my personal view, mind you. Actually, the vast majority of people who support evolution simply ignore creationism.

I am one for evolution all the way but I do feel creationists are either not taken seriously or ignored and so they have to speak louder. Like Prof said the whole Evolution thing was a big ruckus in the 1920s(Inherit the Wind was a good movie on the subject. I dont know how accurate it is since it is entertainment but I tihnk it has the idea) and now it is so accepted that its almost like the other is suppressed. I would disagree with Cat. I thnk the opposite that both shouldbe taught in schools.

Gato_Solo

chcr said:

So...when this guy posted his theory on 'intelligence' behind the whole evolution hypothesis, and get's ridiculed, it's him speaking out. When I say the same things about gays who speak out, I'm labeled a fascist and a thug. Why are the shouters in this scenario given carte blanche, and current opinion on 'alternative lifestyle participants' shutting up about their choice treated differently? Both have the same amount of facts behind them...

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
So...when this guy posted his theory on 'intelligence' behind the whole evolution hypothesis, and get's ridiculed, it's him speaking out. When I say the same things about gays who speak out, I'm labeled a fascist and a thug. Why are the shouters in this scenario given carte blanche, and current opinion on 'alternative lifestyle participants' shutting up about their choice treated differently? Both have the same amount of facts behind them...

Well now, I don't think you're a fascist or a thug...

As I have said before, I will disagree vociferously with you (or anyone). That does not necessarily make you or I a bad person. I do think "alternative lifestyle participants" (I like that, it's almost as good as my being "vertically challenged") should be free to discuss their lifestyles, but you should be just as free to tell them to STFU. We agree about one thing, it seems like every little special interest group expects more rights and priviledges than anyone else anymore.

Professur

chcr said:
Well now, I don't think you're a fascist or a thug...

As I have said before, I will disagree vociferously with you (or anyone). That does not necessarily make you or I a bad person. I do think "alternative lifestyle participants" (I like that, it's almost as good as my being "vertically challenged") should be free to discuss their lifestyles, but you should be just as free to tell them to STFU. We agree about one thing, it seems like every little special interest group expects more rights and priviledges than anyone else anymore.

but I'm not entitled to tell fags to stop kissing in the metro, am I? If I do that, I'm labled a homophobe.

PostCode

Major contributor!
Professur said:
but I'm not entitled to tell fags to stop kissing in the metro, am I? If I do that, I'm labled a homophobe.

No one can ever say you don't get to the point. :lol:

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
If it makes you feel better, go for it. :lol2:

Note: I don't really wanna watch gays or straights swapping spit on the metro. Get a fucking room, huh?

catocom

chcr said:
If it makes you feel better, go for it. :lol2:

Note: I don't really wanna watch gays or straights swapping spit on the metro. Get a fucking room, huh?
Doesn't bother me too much when heteros do it, but I feel like puking when I
see gay "guys" do it. :sick5:
For me, seeing 2 women do it, doesn't have quite the same affect for some reason. :shrug:

Gato_Solo

catocom said:
Doesn't bother me too much when heteros do it, but I feel like puking when I
see gay "guys" do it. :sick5:
For me, seeing 2 women do it, doesn't have quite the same affect for some reason. :shrug:

Sorry, Cat, but, to me, some things are, and should, remain private.

catocom

Gato_Solo said:
Sorry, Cat, but, to me, some things are, and should, remain private.

No need to be sorry. :D
I agree. I don't do it.
I just said it doesn't bother me. :nerd:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
chcr said:
It's a story, not a possibility.

That isn't what a vast majority of the earths population thinks. Just because I don't buy it doesn't mean I know better. Thereare too many unknowns at work.

Thulsa Doom

Gato_Solo said:
Still posturing? Let's not quibble. There is evidence for evolution, according to most scientific journals, but there are a few journals that speak for creation as well. Not as many, and not as noisy, due to the constant cry of folks who call religions 'backwards', but there you have it. The majority stomping on the expressions of the minority. So, what does that make your above statement?

that makes my statement above a response to gonzs post about global warming i believe. But im keen to know... what evidence is there for creationism as you attest?

Status
Not open for further replies.