Do you like to barbecue?

Discussion in 'Good Food' started by Sharky, Oct 24, 2008.

1. chcr We're dancing for once! Too cute for words

I like hickory with a little apple thrown in for flavor. Pecan's good too. I'm not that fond of mesquite myself although it was cheap when I lived in AZ and I used it a lot there. Gato's right though, some nut or fruit wood mixed in really enhances flavor. The rub is pretty important too, IMO.
  2. Nixy Princess Consuela Banana Hammock Elimi-nistrator

Well, if your other posts were generally well typed and used the proper words (to vs too for example) then maybe that "joke" would have stood out...but when all your other posts are like that...well...
  3. BeardofPants *shakes fist* New Member

Maybe he was making fun of his lack of "correct grammar" in general?
  4. 2minkey كافر bootlicker

yeah i gotta get more into BBQ.

i made some pork ribs not too long ago that were pretty good. really long and slow cooking. made my own rub and sauce.

but seems like there is a lot to learn.
  5. Gonz Founding Member and Vast molṑn labé

Been doing it the Weber way for over 40 years. A couple of off years (others "insisted") made it more precious.
  6. Professur I'm just a fungii. Well-Known Member

There is, but damn, it's fun going to school.

There's a lot, but the learning curve isn't steep. Particularly if you're going "lo'n'slo". Mistakes (mis-steaks?) have plenty of time to be corrected. Not like when you're going a stack of burgers on high, and one flare up can take them from raw to charcoal inside a minute.
  7. Sharky Carcharodon carcharias New Member

Yep, for indirect cooking just put the food on one end of the grill and turn the burner on the far end to low, and put a foil packet with wood chunks in it on the burner drip plate, for smoke.

Bingo.

That's the fun part, though - sitting around talking and drinking beer and smelling that sweet, sweet hickory smoke. The trick is to have plenty of snacks on hand to keep the stomach growling to a minimum.

Check out the BBQ Pit Boys videos - there are some good recipes for homemade rubs and sauces and some great tips and demonstrations of technique. It takes a lot of practice . . . I've been grilling every Saturday and Sunday since May and I'm still learning from them.
  8. Sharky Carcharodon carcharias New Member

Seconded . . . also would add that for the grilling part, use indirect heat so the turkey doesn't dry out, and baste frequently.
  9. Gonz Founding Member and Vast molṑn labé

Never basted a bird in my life. No need. The first & foremost rule is make no holes (one is allowed for a thermometer but it may not be removed or even moved - upon penatly of death.
  10. GrandCaravanSE Derby Guys Bang Harder! Active Member