do you work out?

Do you work out

• Yes

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • For the first three weeks of every year.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I like potato chip flavored ice-cream

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

greenfreak

I always found doing more exercise the next day (not resting like I used to do) decreased the soreness the second day after a workout. Doesn't it have something to do with the muscles becoming alkaline or some strange thing?

Janimal

Oh gosh, I used to know the answer to that. I thought it was build up of some kind of acid in the muscles though.

Aunty Em

greenfreak said:
She teaches every class--kickboxing, spinning, sculpting, etc. They have machines and such which she uses also. I wish I had a picture of her in action. She's about 5 inches shorter than me and has a great build.

I used to teach self defence in my late 20s. Actually for about five years I was a very dedicated martial artist training 4 nights a week in Karate(wado ryu) and Aikijutsu. In fact I was one of only 3 women in this country at that time learning to use the katana (samurai sword), that I know of. I also weight and circuit trained on the other 3 days. I was learning Japanese and preparing to go and live and train in Japan when I had the motorcycle accident that ended my nursing career and also my martial arts career. I was devastated - it WAS my life at that time.

I tried to return to martial arts after the accident but it was hopeless as the injury to my leg and hip made it impossible for me to perform the kicks and I have to take care not to injure it further. It took me a long time to find an alternative direction to pursue. Since then however I have put on a lot of weight and become extremely unfit, so it's time to do something about it.

I still have my boken (wooden training sword), but I gave away my katana - I couldn't bear to see it.

Aunty Em

AlladinSane said:
Sorry to hear that. :( How much can you jump/dance still. Could you do some boxing if you wanted to?

I don't kick above the knee any more but I can still block and punch most men with relative ease. Because of my height and build I rarely fought women but usually trained with the guys 'cos I used to hit too hard. :) When you train as much as I did you don't lose it entirely. I was very agressive(my father taught me to box) before taking it up, it taught me to walk away from a fight with a smile and my dignity intact.

Aikijitsu is not an agressive art as such but more defensive where agility and speed are important, it uses your opponant's strength and speed against him with wrist, arm and leg locks and throws. You also learn to counter the attacks and to watch a contest between two equally matched opponants is to watch poetry in motion, it's quite beautiful. The weapons training includes sword, knife and jo (4 ft staff) as opposed to bo (6 ft staff). It is actually the true Samurai art, the same training they would have received. The self discipline that you learn is invaluable in whatever you do. I miss it terribly even now.

Aunty Em

I'm just under 5 ft 8 inches tall and I was a very muscular 12 1/2 stone - I could leg press 3 times my own weight at that time.

BlurOfSerenity

it's my new years resolution.
i've not started yet, but that's just because there's so much other shit going on. once things calm down a bit, i'll pick it up.
my goal is to get physically fit by my 18th birthday, on march 31, 2004.
that doesnt mean i want to be skinny. i'd like to make it down to not-overweight, which for me, i believe is 155lbs.
but the main thing is this: i'm sick of running a few yards, or even walking up a few flights of stairs, without getting out of breath. :(

tommyj27

Not really Banned
you can do it ash, just stick with it, as much as it sucks ass. a year ago i was in about the same boat, i think it helps if you enjoy the activity too. i love biking so that gave me the motivation to get out and go.:headbang: not too mention that it's great stress relief when things get hectic

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i actually do sets of various things (situps, pushups, dips, etc.) when i'm sitting here posting before bed, gives me a few moments to consider the merit of the scathing remark i'm about to make, no wonder my post count doesn't shoot up as fast as everyone elses
i wish i could go to the gym in just a pair of boxers:D