do you work out?

Do you work out

• Yes

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • For the first three weeks of every year.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I like potato chip flavored ice-cream

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
ash r said:
i'd like to make it down to not-overweight, which for me, i believe is 155lbs.

If the site is correct, that's 70.45kg, which is 5kg more than my weight, but then again my bones are not heavy. I think 60kg (132lbs) would be better if you are tall and your bones are heavy.

Ardsgaine

Don't listen to Luis, Ash. He's expressing his personal taste, and he's obviously frightened of a woman who could 'man-handle' him. Aim for the weight that makes you feel good, then find yourself a guy who won't break when you squeeze him. :)

Altron

No I can see why Aunty doesn't need a Sig 550...

I have gym class 3 times a week, guess that counts as working out.
During summer I ride my bike, swim, and play basketball wiht my friends

agw_01

:D congrats to everyone for doing another superb thread!!!

im 17, and want to impress the girls as much as poss :D not that it works... all the girls go out with these tit-faced drug-taking bastard cunts! lol

i try and work out as much as i can, but some days im just too tired or im too busy playing hitman 2. but then, im skinny so it looks like i have a six-pack!!! :eek: :cool:

Aunty Em

Altron said:
I impress the girls by wearing sexy plaid/flower shirts and laughing :)

You know a little regular aerobic excercise now and less sitting in front of a computer will make sure that you don't turn into a fat slob, fitness fanatic wannabe in the future like most of us in this thread! (j/k) :D :lol: :rofl3:

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
I have worked out pretty much consistently since January 2000 (that's two years now). I've taken a week off here or there when on vacation, sick, or busy; missed days; taken long weekends; and my longest abscence from the gym was the entire months of last November and December.

At no point have I weighed as much or been as out of shape as I was before Jan. 02, even after two months of pure fast food laziness.

I started back again this past Monday, and after just a week I feel much better again.

I do weight training an hour a day Mon., Wed., and Friday, and run twenty minutes on Tue., Thurs., and Sat.

I eat properly (7 meals a day... definitely not a "starve myself" type of diet) Monday through Saturday.

Sunday is a "holiday" both exercise and eating... I pig out on whatever I want. I'm going to try and sqeeze down a whole Dominoes pizza complete with cheesy bread and their new cinnamon ball thingys here in about an hour. Odd as it may sound, a dose of high calories and fat once a week keeps the body agreeable with freely releasing fat from your system.

It's not difficult to lose two pounds of body fat a week doing this, until I get down to about 12% body fat, and there it's easy to maintain even if I slip a cheesburger in during the week fairly often, so long as I don't neglect the exercise. When I go for a week or three being slack, I can burn off whatever I gained at two pounds a week again. After that two months, I need to drop about 25 pounds of fat and add 10 or 15 pounds of muscle (well, since Jan. 02 I never quite got closer than 10 pounds of body fat from my goal, so I really only have 15 pounds of fat to drop to get back to the best shape I've been in for the past two years... I'm just recommitted to making my original goal).

I tend to keep my exercise going, but let my diet slip once I get in "good" shape, and it causes my fat burning to level off and just maintain where I am... which was fine, because people would marvel at the shit I would eat when we went out (though I ate healthy most other meals during the week) and still stay in such good shape. But, I'm going to stick with the diet pretty strict now until my birthday in mid-April, and see if I can reach my target.

If I can, I might be motivated to keep going and get down under 10% body fat, which is the point where you really start looking ripped. I'll probably need supplements and fat burners to do that though, since it's not really a natural body condition for someone eating whole foods.

Ash - try interval training when you jog/walk. It will help someone who gets winded quickly (I still do, and did horribly when I first started) still burn lots of calories. Here's the basic outline:

minute---intensity level

1--------------- 5 (warm up)
2--------------- 5 (warm up)
3--------------- 6
4--------------- 7
5--------------- 8
6--------------- 9
7--------------- 6
8--------------- 7
9--------------- 8
10-------------- 9
11-------------- 6
12-------------- 7
13-------------- 8
14-------------- 9
15-------------- 6
16-------------- 7
17-------------- 8
18-------------- 9
19-------------- 10 (full sprint or whatever you can manage)
20-------------- 5 (warm down)

If you tend to get winded quickly, then intensity levels 5, 6, and 7 can be different speeds of walking, with 8 a slow jog, 9 a decent jog, and 10 whatever you have energy left to do.

This interval training will get your heart-rate up fairly high during the first 18 minutes, while still allowing you breaks to catch your breath. At this point, you've pretty much used up your quick supply of energy, and your body is switching over to burning it's long term storage reserves (fat). Minute 19 is the key. Push yourself, through pain and whatnot, for that "one minute" of "real" exercise. After that minute, your heart-rate will be about as high as is safe, and your metabolism will be going full steam ahead, because you've tricked it into thinking you're a crazy fool for depleting quick energy supplies and then really pushing your body. It doesn't really realize that you stop after just a minute at that speed. Your metabolism will keep up the pace for three or more hours after you stop.

Using this interval training, you'll burn more fat calories in that twenty minutes of exercise and the three hours of ensuing rest than you would if you had walked or jogged for a solid hour (depending on your shape and what's strenous for you) at a constant medium pace. Takes less time, does more good, and it's easy to progress just by keeping note of what speed you can do for different intensity levels.

I really despise running long distances, but I had worked up to the point where I could keep a jog as a minimum during that twenty minutes, and covered nearly 2.5 miles distance, with the 19th minute being a 10 mile per hour sprint... sometimes a bit more.

And, in the summer of '00 (when I could first really claim I was "in shape") I did an experiment to see how much the interval training had helped my stamina. Much to my amazement, I ran a six minute mile (that's 10 mph for six minutes)... and had the reserves to do a full workout afterwards. I couldn't believe it. Just months before that would have been absolutely impossible for me. Of course, I didn't really like doing it, and haven't tried since... I proved to myself I could, and that's enough for me. :) Maybe if I really reach my target by this summer, I'll set pace for a five minute mile and see what happens. :eek:

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
hmm... not sure.

I'll ask you one in reciprocation: what's the farthest you've slid on concrete after leaving your bike?

My record is around 40 yards. I shouldn't have been wearing shorts. :nono:

:D

Altron

lol
Maybe a few feet.
BTW I have it 35mph on a bike before. I was on this bike path in New York this summer, I averaged 25mph for 10 miles...
It was almsot all flat too :confuse3:
There was a hill in the beginning, got me up to about 25mph, then I pedaled my fucking legs off...

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Since this fits into this thread, I'll post some additional information, just for the hell of it. Today I had planned to sit down and tally up what my nutritional intake was for a typical day. I have been meaning to do this for a year, so I'd know how healthy my "healty" dieting is. It took quite a while, but here's the results:

This is the total for the seven meals I eat a day, and it's pretty consistent from day to day, even though my diet changes a bit depending on whether I work out or run that day.

Calories: 2500
Fat cal: 475
Fat grams: 55
Sat fat grams: 12
Carbs grams: 270
Sugar grams: 75
Protein grams: 212

For reference, here is the USDA recommended daily allowance for a 2000 calorie diet:

Calories: 2000
Fat cal: 560
Fat grams: 65
Sat fat grams: 20
Carbs grams: 300

As you can see, I take in less than the RDA of fat, saturated fat, and carbs, even though I take in 20% more in calories. That's almost all protein. Additionally, though my carb intake is lower than recommended, it's mostly complex carbs coming from whole wheat and supplements, with relatively little sugar and starch.

And, key to being a good diet is that this intake is spread over 7 meals (8 on days I weight lift if you count a supplemental shake).

If you think you can't eat a lot, and still eat healthy, think again. I eat the equivalent of three eggs, a glass of milk, and two pieces of toast for breakfast with grape jam, or sometimes a bowl of special K. During the course of the day I'll usually drink another two cups of milk, and eat two turkey sandwiches, a potato, a few pieces of garlic toast, two chicken breasts, a grilled pork chop, two or three cans of vegetables, a tablespoon or two of olive oil to dip my bread in, and ketchup whenever I want it. That's far from starving, and when you get used to eating like that you don't want fast food very often.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
thanks for the lecture justin, i learned something. that really makes my schedule look halfassed.

i try to get some exercise every day, but other than my usual routine before bed it really consists of me doing whatever i feel like doing. some days i run for various lengths of time, in october before it got too cold to run outside regularly i could go for ~7mi.@6mph or so. other days i sit on a bike and run a random hill program. i just started lifting recently, but it's sporadic, i want to start working on building endurance rather than just bulking up. then there's climbing which isn't always the best workout, depending who i climb with and how serious we feel it can get extremely rough. bouldering is even better for training, it's basically just climbing without ropes at low heights, it puts a lot of emphasis on improving your balance and muscular control.

i'm in just about the best shape i've ever been in, before august this year i'd never run a whole mile without walking. i feel wonderful.

as for biking, when i flatland on pavement i can sustain 18-20mph for several hours on my mountain bike, which isn't the greatest thing for all out speed. usually i ride trails, which aren't so speedy as they are fun. i generally try to avoid taking a spill on pavement, though the best was probably when i was a lot younger i was flying down the street, not looking forward (oops). i hit the back of my Dad's truck and went flying over it into the front yard.
Taking a spill on trails is much nicer, not so much road rash and usually a tree or something stops you before you go too far:headbang:

Altron

I do mostly flat riding on my road bike. It's about 15 years old, but still faster than most new mountain bikes...
I like riding on paved paths through the woods, then you don't have to worry about wind like on highways (highways are the second best place to ride :))

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i wouldn't mind having a road bike, problem is, I couldn't convince myself to buy entry level and I don't have $2-3k to buy toys like that...yet.

Altron

Look for an old one
My road bike is 15 years old, I spent an amazing $40 on it.
Maybe a "Post pictures of your bike" thread

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Ardsgaine said:
Don't listen to Luis, Ash. He's expressing his personal taste,

Yes, but i was just expressing what in my opinion would be a most appropiate weight for her.

and he's obviously frightened of a woman who could 'man-handle' him.

Yeah right.....i forgot that you are my psichologist :rolleyes:

Ardsgaine

Luis G said:
Yes, but i was just expressing what in my opinion would be a most appropiate weight for her.

Appropriate in what sense? Were you trying to make a medical recommendation about how much she should weigh for health reasons; or were you telling her what weight you thought she would look better at? I interpreted it as the latter, because you've made a comment in the past about how gross a woman's stomach looked with 'love handles'. Also, if your goal was to calculate what a doctor would recommend for her weight, then you would've asked her first how tall she is before putting a number on it, because that makes a huge difference. You just tossed out a number that was slightly under your weight without reference to her build or height. Why? My conclusion was that you figure any woman who weighs more than you MUST be fat.

If you like your women skinny, Luis, that's fine. I just didn't like you telling Ash how much she ought to weigh. You showed a lack of sensitivity there. :shrug: