Dumb brunette....

tonksy

There are monitors aplenty to be had. We're gonna go look at it today. I have to get a new fan anyway.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I run XP with 256MB of RAM, I don't have issues with my RAM. Infact, I run into more issues with my processor (1600+ Athlon XP) than I do with RAM...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well, I found whatever the bird's name is...turned the light on and off, opened and closed the curtain, baked a pie, made the phone ring, made the couch hop, etc...and haven't had any issues with my 256MB of RAM (and some of that is being used by the on board video)...I also have Yahoo Messenger, and MSN running, have windows explorer open, OTC open and have music playing through WMP.

tonksy

chcr said:
(Rob squatting on Tracy's account) No DVD burner in that... and I always hate it when there is absolutely no mention of the vidcard. The damn thing could be running off of 8meg board memory for all I know. Wouldn't that just suck the big one... I would have to kill.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
tonksy said:
(Rob squatting on Tracy's account) No DVD burner in that... and I always hate it when there is absolutely no mention of the vidcard. The damn thing could be running off of 8meg board memory for all I know. Wouldn't that just suck the big one... I would have to kill.

*points to her above post*

I ran the website in question, no issues on 256MB shared RAM for me...and I doubt the girls will be listening to "Face down, ass up" while they browse so that's even more RAm free :p

tonksy

Nixy said:
*points to her above post*

I ran the website in question, no issues on 256MB shared RAM for me...and I doubt the girls will be listening to "Face down, ass up" while they browse so that's even more RAm free :p
no...but they'll be listening to Oleana and I've been working on the railroad.

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
Dude, you're going to Hell!!!
For most users anymore, PCs are like TVs. Buy one, use it for a few years, then toss it out and buy a new one. :shrug: Dells are all we ever use at work. They're cheap, easy to work on and have a good warranty. They're also fifteen miles up the road. You have to get rid of a ton of "free" software but on the other hand you have a brand new computer and monitor.

Tonks, Rob, note that on the cheap ones speakers are extra (you'll want to buy them somewhere else). They all have sound and networking though.

Rob, dual layer DVD burner at GearXS for 39.99.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
tonksy said:
no...but they'll be listening to Oleana and I've been working on the railroad.

Well, I still didn't have any slow downs :D

Wanna tell me all what they'll be doing at once and I'll run it and letcha know how my precious stands up to the test?

chcr

Too cute for words
Oh yeah, and it's the kids PC. I doubt that it'll need high end graphics anytime soon, but if it does, at least the ones I work on have an AGP slot. No PCI express yet though.

tonksy

Thanks for the advice all!
Nixy? I can't imagine they would do more that surf Noggin/Disney/PBSkids and listen to music...the DVD burner would be used once in a blue moon.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
tonksy said:
Thanks for the advice all!
Nixy? I can't imagine they would do more that surf Noggin/Disney/PBSkids and listen to music...the DVD burner would be used once in a blue moon.

Then, it looks like you're safe, I was doing more than that all at once and not even a flinch :)

HomeLAN

256 is fine for what you guys are planning to do with it. Damn elitists. More is obviously always better, but this will handle what you have in mind.

Send the lappy my way. I'll see what can be done.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
tonksy said:
That one was gone, we got a 2.94 celly, 512 RAM, 80G HD, DVD burner.

PLEASE tell me that both yours and Robs computers are faster than that...if not then you're silly to give the girls something faster than you have...if they are then I shall kick you guys for having such awesome computers :p

tonksy

Mine is not that powerful....that being said mine couldn't support a DVD burner (at least I don't think so). The thing to think about is that this computer should be powerful enough that they can use it for many years for school and games and we can use it to burn DVD's and maybe even store a back up for my computer.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
tonksy said:
Mine is not that powerful....that being said mine couldn't support a DVD burner (at least I don't think so). The thing to think about is that this computer should be powerful enough that they can use it for many years for school and games and we can use it to burn DVD's and maybe even store a back up for my computer.

Why not give them your less powerful computer? That's how it's going to work with my kids when I have them...they'll get the hand-me-downs until such a time as they can buy their own computer or have legitimate reason for needing one faster than mine.

HomeLAN

tonksy said:
Mine is not that powerful....that being said mine couldn't support a DVD burner (at least I don't think so).

Sure it could. You want me to swap the CD and DVD burners, you just let me know.