Dumb brunette....

Inkara1

It's hard to be sure. Explorer.exe is taking up 18,444K on my machine right now, but there are so many other required Windows services that take up a meg here, two megs there that it's hard to know for sure.

If you're asking if you should upgrade, the answer is always yes.

tonksy

No...now forgive me as Rob is not in so you are gonna get this straight outta the dumb brunettes mouth...we are thinking of getting this little puter they have at gnstar, it's running XP and has 256 in RAM but the things got a DVD burner in it, so we were wondering if that amount of RAM could support all that stuff and still offer enough juice for the girlies to peruse there graphically intense websites they like.

Inkara1

You can run XP with 256... but you can also survive on 256 calories a day. Doesn't mean you'd like either one. I only have 256 in the bedroom system but all it does is run folding all day. I've got a gig in the main system.

With all the "rich media" in websites these days, it's really best to have a lot of RAM for IE/Firefox and flash. See if you can get an upgrade to 512. It would be well worth the cost.

tonksy

I don't even have that much RAM. I did mention this computer was for children, didn't I?...children that killed the lappy. So is 256 enough to run XP and surf noggin.com? Using the DVD burner will occur when they are not on the computer at the time. If we get this for them I am insisting on placing the tower higher than their using surface....and a sperm guard for the keyboard.

Inkara1

Sperm guard? They're girls... wow.

I think 256 would probably do it... you'd be happier for longer with 512 but 256 would get you by.

I hit up Noggin and found Zee with my mouse. Once I closed up the window Noggin was in, it freed up 11 megs of RAM.

tonksy

The sperm guard is for the cheese granules, juicy juice, oatmeal cookie bits, pineapple chunks, dorito crumbs, and green olive juice.
The problem we had on the lappy before it died was getting things like noggin to load, it always took forever...and fucking kids these days can't wait for anything. They like DVD's because there is no rewind time. I remember when I was fucking lucky to have a beta max *grumble

Inkara1

The new computer would probably have a much faster processor which would help. Mine's a 2.8GHz P4 and it had no lag or delay. If I remember right, the laptop was 500MHz of pure muscle.

Inkara1

Why not make it 500MHz of doorstop?

It's kind of a bummer the kids destroyed it, though... I have actual memories of that system; I remember me, Steve and John opening it up on the kitchen table. :D

tonksy

It may be salvagable to something :shrug:
Heck, I'm not even sure if it was the girls that hammered in the final nail on it's coffin but I'd be willing to bet it was.
Perhaps it'll be used for that prime number stuff :shrug:

As a momento, Chic?

Inkara1

I've already got a laptop, and it actually works... and has 512MB of RAM and a DVD burner. :D

If you sent me the 500MHz handy projectile, I'd probably just turn around and sell it on eBay.

tonksy

Steve has helped me out plenty this week....not to mention that he is miffed at me because he spent some time chiselling open my tower case because of my customizing :ashamed: Thanks, Steve

Professur

tonksy said:
Steve has helped me out plenty this week....not to mention that he is miffed at me because he spent some time chiselling open my tower case because of my customizing :ashamed: Thanks, Steve

Maybe, but I'm sure he'd rather spend 5 minutes helping you avoid a mistake than 2 hours fixing one.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
If the puter is new then 256MB is definitively a BAD choice. The least you should get is 512MB and preferably 1GB.

tonksy

It's more RAM than they have now, says Rob.
This is the link that we were perusing. The one we like is the Intel P4-1.6GHz/DVD+- Burner / Windows XP Professional that is the last in the row 5 rows down.

Professur

I've got one of them under my desk right now. You did note that the monitor isn't included.

Hmm. can't trust their pics. They've got a Dell with an IBM pic too.

See the little laser printer at the bottom? That's a good buy. I've got two of them. The only problem with those is that when it starts to feed multiple sheets of paper, people automatically change the separation pad and pickup roller, but miss the two little rubber bumpers to either side of the separation pad. The problem appears solved, but comes back within the week. Then people get frustrated and decide that it's not worth fixing again ($60+ service) and replace it. Then someone like me walks in and picks it up for a song, replaces those two bits and laughs their ass off.