email quandry

Inkara1

I finally ditched the one I had sitting in the trunk of my car. It was ISA. Also gone is the Sound Blaster 16 ISA and the ISA Cirrus Logic 1MB video card.

HomeLAN

I have a very nice external Diamond 56k modem. It probably even has zero dust, as it's been in a drawer for 2 years.

tonksy

HomeLAN said:
I have a very nice external Diamond 56k modem. It probably even has zero dust, as it's been in a drawer for 2 years.
so...you wanna give it to him so it will die? really. i can fax at work.

unclehobart

Now.. another spinoff from the network illiterate...

The info is on my computer. The printer is on Tonksys machine. How do I set the system up to recognize her printer through the LAN?

HomeLAN

On her computer, bring up properties on the printer, click the sharing tab, share it, and give it a name.

Then, go to your machine, bring up printers, and add a network printer. Hopefully, it'll see it as an option.

PostCode

Major contributor!
Make sure the printer is shared on her system, then install the printer on you're computer over the network. Install it like a regular printer, just choose the option to install one over the network instead of locally. 2K will install the drivers over the network. No need for the original drivers unless her OS is different from yours, i.e., like 9x. In that case it sometimes needs the drivers.

unclehobart

OK.. I bowed fully out of the printer setup dealy on Tonksys machine and it has allowed me to see the network on a broad scale... but wont allow me browsing details to find it... nor will it allow me type in the name of the printer for a directed search.

unclehobart

Its on, it works, coming in through USB001, shared name is Lex (lexmark5200)

It seems like I have no premissions to see her system at all.

catocom

unclehobart said:
Its on, it works, coming in through USB001, shared name is Lex (lexmark5200)

It seems like I have no premissions to see her system at all.
are you both on the same "workgroup", or are you trying to use domain?

catocom

unc,
right click on "my computer", and got to "properties".
Then click the tab that says "network identification"
There make sure both comps are on the same workgroup.

catocom

Professur said:
Sharing is enabled on both machines, isn't it?
also even if sharing is enabled, sometimes on 2000, you have to
actually share at least 1 thing/folder before the comp will show up for the
other comp on the network.