Evangelical hypocrisy...now with even more gay sex

spike

Another US church hit by gay sex allegations
Email Print Normal font Large font Englewood, California
December 12, 2006 - 9:28AM

Advertisement
AdvertisementThe founding pastor of a second US church has resigned over gay sex allegations, just weeks after the evangelical community was shaken by the scandal surrounding megachurch leader Ted Haggard.

Haggard, a gay-marriage opponent, admitted to unspecified "sexual immorality" when he resigned last month as president of the National Association of Evangelicals and pastor of the 14,000-member New Life Church in Colorado Springs. A male prostitute said he had had sex with Haggard for three years.

On Sunday, Paul Barnes, founding pastor of the 2,100-member Grace Chapel in the Denver suburb of Englewood, told his evangelical congregation in a videotaped message he had had sexual relations with other men and was stepping down.

Dave Palmer, associate pastor of Grace Chapel, told The Denver Post that Barnes confessed to him after the church received a call last week.

The church board of elders accepted Barnes' resignation on Thursday.

On the videotape, which The Post was allowed to view, Barnes told church members: "I have struggled with homosexuality since I was a 5-year-old boy ... I can't tell you the number of nights I have cried myself to sleep, begging God to take this away."

Barnes, 54, led Grace Chapel for 28 years. He and his wife have two adult children.

Palmer said in a written statement that "while we cannot condone what he has done, we continue to support and love Paul."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/another-us-church-hit-by-gay-sex-allegations/2006/12/12/1165685651436.html

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Apparantly he opposes gay marriage, not gay sex. For most folk, sex and marriage are two different things; if not, I been married a whole buncha times to people I barely knew.

spike

He's not resigning because he participated in gay marriage and Palmer "can't condone it".

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
As a closeted homosexual, he has the right, as well as first hand knowledge, to discuss homosexual marriage. As SnP pointed out, sex & marriage are not the same though. Maybe he should get married first, then discuss homosexual marriage. Hell, what do I know...I've only married once.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
He's not resigning because he participated in gay marriage and Palmer "can't condone it".

Precisely my point. He publicly spoke against gay marriage. That's one issue. He is resigning over a totally different issue. So why call it hypocrisy?

tonksy

No one is without sin...just because this guy's sin is closely related to something he is so outspoken about doesn't necessarily make him a hypocrit...what it does do (or should do rather) is remind us all that we are all human and could do with some bible reading instead of bible preaching.

spike

Sure, people are just attracted to who they are attracted to. It's unavoidable.

Calling it a sin is ridiculous.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
The church is against gay sex too, not just marriage.

You know for fact that this congregation is against it? I must have an approved link to back that up, else I will be forced to discredit the statement as opinion.

Maddening, isn't it?

tonksy

While I concur, The devil's advocate is that pedophiles will use the same excuse.
But what it comes down to is sin is sin and we all sin. If you are right with God then your sin is forgiven.

Starya

But what it comes down to is sin is sin and we all sin. If you are right with God then your sin is forgiven.
It's only a sin to those who believe it is a sin. I'm not gonna argue with any church whether they are right about believing anything in particular is a sin or not.* Their business not mine.

Anywhoo, it's not hypocrisy for a gay man to speak against same-sex marriage. All gay people don't hold the same opinion on that. He's intitled to his.

*This sentence is awfully phrased, I know.

tonksy

It's only a sin to those who believe it is a sin. I'm not gonna argue with any church whether they are right about believing anything in particular is a sin or not.* Their business not mine.

Anywhoo, it's not hypocrisy for a gay man to speak against same-sex marriage. All gay people don't hold the same opinion on that. He's intitled to his.

*This sentence is awfully phrased, I know.

Hmm...well I sort of agree with you. I say sort of because I have been taught that it is a sin. I have also been taught that lying, cheating, stealing, laziness, gossiping, fornication, gluttony, covetting, disobeying the sabbath and evil thoughts are sins. I have also been taught that all sins are equal in the eyes of the Lord and if I am to point out anothers sin I had better be sure that my nose is clean...which it isn't and no ones is.
So I guess I mean that we all have our strengths and weaknesses and I won't mind yours if you don't mind mine.

spike

You know for fact that this congregation is against it? I must have an approved link to back that up, else I will be forced to discredit the statement as opinion.

I pointed this out once already "while we cannot condone what he has done". It's in the article.

spike

Hell, it's not wrong for straight men to argue against straight marriage. :retard3:

:D

The hypocrisy is obvious. If I was the leader of a group like PETA who professed that it was immoral to eat, wear, or be cruel in anyway to animals and then went home and tortured my dog while eating a steak would that be hypocritical?

Same thing.

Starya

:D

The hypocrisy is obvious. If I was the leader of a group like PETA who professed that it was immoral to eat, wear, or be cruel in anyway to animals and then went home and tortured my dog while eating a steak would that be hypocritical?

Same thing.
Erm, no. If a gay man speaks up against gay marriage, and then went home to the man he married in a state where it was legal - then you'd have a comparable scenario.

Starya

Come on, stay real here. There are plenty of people who are gay, but still believe being gay is a sin (and is tormented by it), and will have opinions on homosexuality based on what they have been taught/believe rather than what they are themselves. If they are voicing these opinions it is not hypocrisy - as long as it is truly their opinion. No matter whether we agree with said opinion or not.

spike

Erm, no. If a gay man speaks up against gay marriage, and then went home to the man he married in a state where it was legal - then you'd have a comparable scenario.

If a gay man leads a group that is against gay sex, and then engages in gay sex it is no different than a leader of an animal rights group abusing animals. Both would be hypocrisy.

Come on, stay real here. There are plenty of people who are gay, but still believe being gay is a sin (and is tormented by it), and will have opinions on homosexuality based on what they have been taught/believe rather than what they are themselves. If they are voicing these opinions it is not hypocrisy - as long as it is truly their opinion. No matter whether we agree with said opinion or not.

So if a person was an animal abuser, but still believes being and animal abuser is a sin (and is tormented by it) and voices these opinions it is not hypocrisy? Just their opinion?

tonksy

Granted that this dude shouldn't be speaking out against homosexuality, but being gay and being an animal abuser are apples and oranges.