Extreme shakes, nausea, cold, fever, stomach cramps

BeardofPants

The BF has all of the above symptoms; it's about 2 hours before the doctor opens - Dave, you online? Can you give me an idea what this might be? His feet and hands are extremely cold, he can't get warm, dry lips, nausea, extreme shaking that has now subdued, headache, fevered hot head, possible heart palpitations, etc. We both ate tuna steak last night, but I'm not affected. Was walking around in the mid-day heat with it yesterday, but had it on ice. Food poisoning?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
BeardofPants said:
The BF has all of the above symptoms; it's about 2 hours before the doctor opens - Dave, you online? Can you give me an idea what this might be? His feet and hands are extremely cold, he can't get warm, dry lips, nausea, extreme shaking that has now subdued, headache, fevered hot head, possible heart palpitations, etc. We both ate tuna steak last night, but I'm not affected. Was walking around in the mid-day heat with it yesterday, but had it on ice. Food poisoning?

Doctor, NOW!!!

Gato_Solo

BeardofPants said:
I dont think it's that - he's not allergic to insect bites, and doesn't appear to have been bitten.

Might not be allergies. Could be toxins, too. I don't know about any poisonous insects or spiders, but an allergic reaction and a toxic reaction are easily confused. Better to be safe than sorry...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
He probably ate someting that didn't agree with him. The shakes are effect of the fever. Or the flu.

MrBishop

BeardofPants said:
I dont think it's that - he's not allergic to insect bites, and doesn't appear to have been bitten.
Two things...allergic reactions to foods, solvents and insect bites are worst the second time around and every time thereafter. He may have had a similar reaction to either the food or another reactive agent prior and shrugged it off, but this one's worst. My first penecillin reaction was minor... a few spots/rash...no biggie and I didn't link it to anything. My second reaction put me in the hospital.

Second thing....appendicitis! Try to locate that pain!

Gato_Solo

MrBishop said:
Two things...allergic reactions to foods, solvents and insect bites are worst the second time around and every time thereafter. He may have had a similar reaction to either the food or another reactive agent prior and shrugged it off, but this one's worst. My first penecillin reaction was minor... a few spots/rash...no biggie and I didn't link it to anything. My second reaction put me in the hospital.

Second thing....appendicitis! Try to locate that pain!

Sounds like she was describing general malais. Body aches, fever, cold/clammy, rapid pulse, shakes, nausea, vomiting, point to three different things. The most common would be a biologic agent, such as bacteria, virii, and the second would be toxic, such as insect/spider bites, or accidental ingestion. And the third is allergies. Since he and BoP ate the same things, you can assume that it's not ingested, so the food-borne infection is out. What piqued my interest was that they had been outdoors all day. Since it's spring in NZ, the insects/spiders/creepy-crawlies are beginning to become active. I hope you're correct, though, because if they wait too long and it IS a bug bite, he could be in for some serious long-term damage...

BeardofPants

the pain is too high for appendicitis.. It is upper left quadrant under rib cage - feels like cramping; he has diarrhoea, and is extremely cold, but hot to touch. Hands still have poor circulation, as well as feet.

MrBishop

With any luck, the reason she's offline is that they decided to go the hospital route. Good luck BoP's BF!

BeardofPants

We weren't out all day. He was home studying, I was out shopping for food. Stupid santa parade meant that I had to walk a fair distance in the mid-day heat with the shopping, including the tuna. Plus was on a hot bus for about 20 mins (bus deviated from my normal route due to santa parade, so had to walk about 15 mins in the heat), so there was about half an hour to 45 mins with raw tuna on ice. Thing is, you don't overcook tuna steak, so it was relatively raw when we ate it (which is how you're supposed to prep the steak).... BF felt at the time that it was a bit undercooked.

MrBishop

BeardofPants said:
the pain is too high for appendicitis.. It is upper left quadrant under rib cage - feels like cramping; he has diarrhoea, and is extremely cold, but hot to touch. Hands still have poor circulation, as well as feet.
Palpitations or a minor heart-attack?

Increase his fluide intake. It it's food poisoning, that'll help. There's no guarantee that you both will have a reaction to food poisoning BTW. If his defence machanisms were weakened (just got over being sick, in the process of getting sick, alcohol etc..) then he can have a reaction while you might not. In addition, your cut might've been OK and his, not so hot.

Hydration is a good way to lessen blood-borne reactions...even allergies.

BeardofPants

Yeah, his cut of tuna was more grisly, and it was a larger cut, so it could have been more undercooked than mine. He feels really thirsty, but every time he drinks, he feels nauseated.

A.B.Normal

MrBishop said:
With any luck, the reason she's offline is that they decided to go the hospital route. Good luck BoP's BF!

Yeah,hopefully they've gone to the doctor,almost sounds like Meningitis,which usually displays as Flu like symptoms and can be fatal..

MrBishop

BoP.... get offline and get him to a doctor...especially is he goes pale, or starts being unintelligible.

Fuck it! Take him now!

Gato_Solo

MrBishop said:
BoP.... get offline and get him to a doctor...especially is he goes pale, or starts being unintelligible.

Fuck it! Take him now!

:wstupid: (sorry, but there's no "I'm with Him" smilie)

attachment.php

unclehobart

Yeah... admit him. He sounds like hes rapidly dehydrating. They will probably need to rapid IV him up to stability.

A.B.Normal

Tuna is usually safe to eat raw .If it was spoiled and became toxic cooking it wouldn't make it less toxic ,just kill the tiny critters releasing "more" toxin.

Gato_Solo

A.B.Normal said:
Tuna is usually safe to eat raw .If it was spoiled and became toxic cooking it wouldn't make it less toxic ,just kill the tiny critters releasing "more" toxin.

Almost any fish can be eaten raw...provided there are no parasites. I'm still leaning towards an insect or spider bite. Spider most likely...

A.B.Normal

Gato_Solo said:
Almost any fish can be eaten raw...provided there are no parasites. I'm still leaning towards an insect or spider bite. Spider most likely...
The effects of Katipo and Red Back poisoning
Lactrodectus venom is a neurotoxin that particularly affects the nervous system. The venom of both the
red back and the red katipo work is similar ways, but the effects of the red back may seem more severe
as it is larger and is likely to inject more venom.
The bite is usually slight and may not be felt. Symptoms may arise up to an hour later and begin as a
reddish lump with red streaks spreading out from it.

Abdominal pain may occur, spreading to other areas and becoming more severe. Other symptoms
include increased blood pressure, nausea and perspiration.
Most patients recover from a bite with rest and a cold pack over the puncture area. If symptoms
worsen seek medical help. An anti-venom is available that can be administered up to 8 hours from the
time of the bite and will relieve symptoms within 24 hours.

A bite would be noticeable,we have Black Widows around here so you learn to recognize bites.

Hopefully BOP will post back when she can and let us know what the Doctor said.