Femi-Nazis stay out

Aunty Em

So I'm wrong to want the same wage for the same work and hours of work am I? If I choose to work fewer hours fine that's my choice but it shouldn't affect the hourly rate for the job just because I'm female. All I want is to be treated fairly.

Does that make me a femi-nazi? I don't think so. If you ask me that's just a bunch of male propaganda. 35 years on and we're still fighting the same battle against a bunch of deeply entrenched victorian misogynists. Jusr because it's against the law to discriminate doesn't mean that the attitude isn't still there... it's just more carefully hidden.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Aunty Em said:
So I'm wrong to want the same wage for the same work and hours of work am I? If I choose to work fewer hours fine that's my choice but it shouldn't affect the hourly rate for the job just because I'm female. All I want is to be treated fairly.

No. You're right. You are.

Aunty Em

Gonz said:
No. You're right. You are.
Fine... but in this country at least, there are certain jobs, such as nursing and teaching which don't command a high wage simply because they are still seen as female work. That's the attitude that needs changing... shop work comes into this catagory as well. Why should I have to moonlight in another job because I can't afford to live on what is supposed to be my full time career? That is what a lot of our nurses are having to do, especially in London. There are a lot more men working as nurses now but it hasn't made much difference to the way the job is valued it would seem.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Market value, not sexual discrimination. Auto repair is a (mostly) male profession & the mechanics don't get paid lawyer wages because the market doesn't demand them.

If you wanna be rich either become an overworked entrepeneur or go into white collar, especially trade & upper management.

BeardofPants

Aunty Em said:

Does that make me a femi-nazi? I don't think so. If you ask me that's just a bunch of male propaganda. 35 years on and we're still fighting the same battle against a bunch of deeply entrenched victorian misogynists. Jusr because it's against the law to discriminate doesn't mean that the attitude isn't still there... it's just more carefully hidden.

Hear, fucking hear.

BeardofPants

Inkara1 said:
Does anyone here besides me know the difference between a feminist and a femi-nazi?

One fights for equality, and the other is a machine of male propaganda because they're running scared of assertive women. :rolleyes:

freako104

BeardofPants said:
One fights for equality, and the other is a machine of male propaganda because they're running scared of assertive women. :rolleyes:

male propoganda= male chauvanism

male chauvanist=pig ;)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
BeardofPants said:

I'll agree with the first part, but the second? Let's be honest here. Just as there are men who are extreme in their views, there are women extreme in theirs.

As for the point of this post, I believe that equal work does deserve equal pay. I also believe that, the more seniority you have, the more you should be paid. Everything else is just BS.

freako104

and what about those who work harder? shouldnt they make more than the seniority? in my eyes it should. but seniority ill agree has to make some more due to the fact they would have been in their company

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
freako104 said:
and what about those who work harder? shouldnt they make more than the seniority? in my eyes it should. but seniority ill agree has to make some more due to the fact they would have been in their company

That's what overtime is for. ;) If you work over-and-above your peers, then a bonus is what's called for, not a higher pay rate. If the work is consistently better, then you get a promotion. Be careful, though...If you base pay solely on performance, then, a job which requires constant, heavy lifting with no special equipment, you've already put women at a disadvantage, thus placing you in the 'chauvanist' catagory. ;)

To the women out there reading this and getting pissed...I'm sure that there are women out there who can do the constant, heavy lifting-type jobs, but, be honest, how many do you know personally?

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Gato_Solo said:
As for the point of this post, I believe that equal work does deserve equal pay. I also believe that, the more seniority you have, the more you should be paid. Everything else is just BS.

Awarding seniority is just a step saver for management. Logically speaking, the longer you do something, the more efficient you should be at. And therefore, more productive. Rather than spend the time assessing each individual, most companies will trust the logic and set up payraises for seniority. Its WRONG. All it does is allow those who would to become complacent with their position, comfortable in the fact that only their time in that position determines their rate. If worker 'A' has run a machine for 20 years and produces X amount of product, And worker 'B' has run the machine for 2 years and produces 25% more product than worker 'A', worker 'B' should be paid more.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
It's not quite that simple. In some fields, what you are allowed to do at work (much less what you actually accomplish) is directly tied to your senority (years of experience in the field, at least). Makes it hard to directly judge someone's ability/performance.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I'm speaking in terms of 2 people who hold the same position, osli. If one has more priviledge, then he/she is actually in a different position. i.e. senior machine operator vs. machine operator. But even a position like that should be based on individual merit rather than 'time in'.

greenfreak

Gato_Solo said:
I'm sure that there are women out there who can do the constant, heavy lifting-type jobs, but, be honest, how many do you know personally?

Well, you all know me so anyone who's reading this thread knows at least one. :wave: Our shipping clerk is also a woman and routinely unloads trucks and packages. And if you include all the female EMT's and Paramedics I know, that's probably about 20 women all told.

I make less than a couple of coworkers who do next to nothing and I make more than my boyfriend does. You can't really compare my job with Rusty's though because of a few things; my education in my field, the amount of responsibility, experience, etc.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I'm not getting pissed at this thread. I've seen it from both sides, right in front of me. I've seen women who make less than an equal male counterpart for no good reason and I've seen women who don't deserve to make what they do but they bitch and complain so management is afraid not to give them what they want. I've also seen quite a few men use that tactic. They become the pain in the ass that's always complaining and no one wants to deal with them so they always get what they want.

I think the key is dealing with it on an individual basis. There are a lot of salaries that have no rhyme or reason to them. Which is why employers NEVER want you to discuss your salary with other coworkers.