FiOS

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Fiber OnSite, by Verizon.

Does anybody know anything (besides the Verizon marketing stuff) about this? Instead of DSL (which I can't get), I can get FiOS, which is faster & cheaper than cable & DSL...in theory. "Up to 5 Mbps/2 Mbps" for $35., "Up to 15 Mbps/2 Mbps" for $45.

Sounds great. What's the catch?

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
Fiber OnSite, by Verizon.

Does anybody know anything (besides the Verizon marketing stuff) about this? Instead of DSL (which I can't get), I can get FiOS, which is faster & cheaper than cable & DSL...in theory. "Up to 5 Mbps/2 Mbps" for $35., "Up to 15 Mbps/2 Mbps" for $45.

Sounds great. What's the catch?

I don't know, but my first question would be what special equipment they need you to have to deal with a fiber-optic network (if that's even what they mean).

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
They'll fiber the line from pole to house & install any needed jacks (none needed). They provide a router or you can buy a Verizon version of a D-Link 811/g. The more I find the more I will love my Verizon FiOS ;)

rrfield

Yeah, it looks like a FTTH (fiber to the home) install. Fiber is cheap. The optical-to-electircal converter is the expensive part, but if they are using multimode fiber) from the home to the manhole) the cost wouldn't be extraordinary.

I'd be all over this if it's cheaper than Cable. Definalty faster than DSL.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
They'll fiber the line from pole to house & install any needed jacks (none needed). They provide a router or you can buy a Verizon version of a D-Link 811/g. The more I find the more I will love my Verizon FiOS ;)
Pay special attention to the long-distance and cell phone plans they expect you to sign up for. It might still work out in your favor, but I'll bet you'll have to at least sign up for wireless phone service.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I already have Verizon wireless & Verizon home/LD. It appears to be an upgrade service to your typical phone service. They ran FO cable all over teh city during th e last couple of years. Not only are they offering broadband, it looks like it's capable of "cable TV' services also.

The cheap bastard that I am, no services beyond what I see in front of me.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
I already have Verizon wireless & Verizon home/LD. It appears to be an upgrade service to your typical phone service. They ran FO cable all over teh city during th e last couple of years. Not only are they offering broadband, it looks like it's capable of "cable TV' services also.

The cheap bastard that I am, no services beyond what I see in front of me.
I can relate to that. :D

Sounds like you're good to go then. BTW, I believe all broadband is capable of multimedia services. In fact, unless I'm very much mistaken, that's the way most of us will get all our home entertainment in the not too distant future.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Catch number one
Q: What happens when the power goes out? (#13366)
A: FIOS is installed in each house with a backup power supply that will provide up to 8 hours of backup power for voice calls. Your data or FIOSTV will cease to function until full power is restored to the ONT. One way to extend this time and keep data and FIOSTV going is to hook the ONT power plug into a larger UPS system. This will power the ONT for a longer time and keep all services going depending on usage.

Download Speed: 4115 kbps (514.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 355 kbps (44.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
test yours

it's hard to mess with a good thing

Winky

Twenty-five bucks (total) a month from Cox Cable.

How's that for a 'cheap Bastard' especial?

test.JPG

Mirlyn

Gonz said:
Download Speed: 4115 kbps (514.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 355 kbps (44.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
test yours

it's hard to mess with a good thing
Cox standard cable here....$40ish/mo.

2941k down - 528k up (using Atlanta)

I think this package is advertised as 3000k/768k officially. Wish it was a bigger upstream. :(

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
When they say "cheaper than cable and DSL" I can not help but think what the hell are they talking cheaper.

Bandwidth from your house to their servers is almost unlimited, the real cost is from their servers to the actual Internet, and then, it doesn't matter if you're on cable, satellite or dsl. :shrug:

As for faster, a fiber optic sure has a lot of bandwidth available, but the speeds they are offering are quite in the range of cable (up to 30Mbps last time I checked).

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Cheaper as in...

$35. for 5Mb up/2Mb down compared to my $43. cable, which you see the speeds above.
$45. for 15Mb up & 2Mb down.

DSL (which is too far away for me) is as low as $15...for 768/128...to equal or surpass cable, it's considerably more.

rrfield

Luis G said:
When they say "cheaper than cable and DSL" I can not help but think what the hell are they talking cheaper.

Bandwidth from your house to their servers is almost unlimited, the real cost is from their servers to the actual Internet, and then, it doesn't matter if you're on cable, satellite or dsl. :shrug:

As for faster, a fiber optic sure has a lot of bandwidth available, but the speeds they are offering are quite in the range of cable (up to 30Mbps last time I checked).

Odds are the ISP, Verizion, has 2 if not 3 OC12 (probably OC48 or OC192) connections to their upstream providers. Verizion could offer gigabit, or at least 100mb, to the home, but they probably implement QoS in the access layer.

Winky

Gonz said:
twenty five bucks to Cox for dialup speeds?

read it again

have you been livin' in the dumbest state in the union too long?

or is it the phatest?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
2508/639

supposed to be "up to" 3000/500 :eek6:

I just found out that it's only $5 more a month to get "up to" 5000. hmmmmm.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Winky said:
read it again

have you been livin' in the dumbest state in the union too long?

or is it the phatest?

I did read it. Mine vs yours

4115 kbps vs 253 kbps
355 kbps vs 260 kbps

Granted, it's not 56k or 33k ;)