Fire Gonzales

spike

WASHINGTON - The head of the FBI contradicted Attorney General Alberto Gonzales’ sworn testimony and Senate Democrats requested a perjury investigation Thursday in a fresh barrage against President Bush’s embattled longtime friend and aide.

In a third blow to the Bush administration, the Senate Judiciary Committee issued subpoenas to compel the testimony of Karl Rove, Bush’s chief political adviser, in connection with its investigation.

“It has become apparent that the attorney general has provided at a minimum half-truths and misleading statements,” four Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee wrote in a letter to Solicitor General Paul Clement calling for a special counsel to investigate.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19975387/

Gonzales is a piece of shit.

catocom

:laugh:
I just got a mental picture of some guy with a mask, investigating shit.:D

antway...
I do believe they are considering...

markjs

Banned
It's just another part of the republican strategy of get these people out of sight and out of mind so their problems will go away, and being as Nancy Pelosi and so many of the other dems are such pussies, it'll probably work. If the dems would just grow a spine, and a few teeth, they could probably have the whole Bush administration behind bars where they belong in no time.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

catocom

IMO no good would come from that.
That said, IMO oversight from this point, and maybe other people should indeed Try to continue.

I am onBoard with the majority of Republicans, buy I'm also a Firm believer in oversight, on All sides.

markjs

Banned
Yay! :toast:

Hopefully it's not the end though. We need keep investigations going on the domestic spying and probably charge him with perjury before Congress.

I am on your side of this spike, but I am far less optomistic. The democrats are far too worried about "oh no we might look petty, like when the republicans went after Clinton", nevermind that Clinton's offense was of no real consequence, and that this administrations offences are severe criminal actions. The dems are pussies in my opinion, without the fortitutde to do the job that needs done. Sometimes it sickens me to have to vote for them simply because it's the lesser of two evils.

The republicans ought to be whooping it up, they are winning, not because the dems have no case, but because the dems are so afraid of losing the foothold on power they just gained that they have no spine nor any teeth. Gonzalez stepping down is a brilliant strategic move on the part of the republicans. The dems, if they had any backbone could still yet see the lot of them impeached, removed, and prosecuted, but they won't. With Gonzales stepping down, the whole thing will get swept under the rug and it will, in the end hurt our side more than ours. Who ever said crime doesn't pay? The republicans have been proving it does indeed pay for quite some time now.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
nevermind that Clinton's offense was of no real consequence

The leader of the free world, the Commander in Chief of the worlds strongest military, a man who is supposed to set & lead by example lied to a grand jury...under oath.

Hey, that's kinda like saying a blowjob isn't sex.

Cerise

It's just another part of the republican strategy.....

tinhatani.gif

spike

The leader of the free world, the Commander in Chief of the worlds strongest military, a man who is supposed to set & lead by example lied to a grand jury...under oath.

You keep distorting history as if he was convicted. He was acquitted.

ac·quit (ə-kwĭt') pronunciation
tr.v., -quit·ted, -quit·ting, -quits.

1. Law. To free or clear from a charge or accusation.

So by continuing to speak as if he was convicted I think you are engaging in that practice you like to accuse others of when they speak of the criminal actions of the Bush administration.

What was the word again? Oh yeah -> libel. You throw that one around a lot, so quit being a hypocrite.

On the subject of hypocrisy since lying under oath is such a high priority for you we can expect that you'll fully demand a extensive investigation into whether the Attorney General, the main legal adviser to the government, chief law officer, and a man who is supposed to set and lead by example has committed perjury?

Right? Right?

markjs

Banned

Hey, that's kinda like saying a blowjob isn't sex.

OK, lets see, Clinton lied to a grand jury about his private sex life.

Various members of the Bush administation are alleged, (yes alleged, but there is much evidence to substantiate the allegations), to have lied, under oath, to congress repeatedly about a number of issues, including violating the Hatch act by using federal tax dollars illegally to fund partisan interests, having intentially blown the cover of an undercover CIA agent, firing attorneys illegally for political motivations....and on and on and on.....

OK, now let's examine the difference between congress, and a grand jury. Simply put, congress is the primary legislature of the United States, or in lay terms, these are the guys who make the laws we all are expected to abide by.

Now a grand jury on the other hand is a group of civilians, handpicked by a prosecuter, to decide whether enough evidence exists to indict a person of a crime, in simpler tems, to formally charge or accuse a person. There is no provision for the grand jurors to be in any way screened by anyone in defense of the accused, and it is solely a function of prosecutors. Grand juries are today virtually unknown outside the United States. Other democracies around the world have abandoned the grand jury system, because most legal authorities contend that it is an unfair and unjust system that allows only a one sided look at the facts presented before it. Judge Sol Wachtler, the disbarred former Chief Judge of New York State, was quoted as saying that a prosecutor could persuade a grand jury to "indict a ham sandwich". So much for fair and impartial.

Now I've heard a lot of republicans contend that perjury in front of a grand jury is an unforgivable unthinkable act, yet when the same republicans are asked why is lying to congress ok, they seem to have a plethora of readily made excuses as to why it's ok to commit perjury before congress, after all they are merely the primary institution of creating law and order in this country....right?

markjs

Banned
*Waits for the expected ridiculous partisan rebuttal, where we will once again be reminded that Clinton lied about a blowjob to a grand jury, which somehow makes it ok for republicans to lie, and withold information from congress to save their own lying criminal asses....*

*crickets*

*eerie howling wind blows up a dust devil*

*crickets*

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Gonzalez was investigated for a non-crime...what they call a perjury-trap.

Clinton was investigated for a number of reasons (most were political nonsense) but when no less than 6 women came forward with allegations & Bill went before a grand jury he knew, especially as a lawyer, especially as POTUS, not to lie about anything.

markjs

Banned
The real point here, beyond the fact that the republican witch hunt aimed at Clinton yielded no tangeable results, is that when under scrutiny because of serious corruption, conservatives have no better stratagy than to try to divert our attention to the past, which has no actual relevance in relation to the current situation.

Had we not had a 2 term limit, and Clinton had been able to run against Bush, he would have whipped Bush "like a redheaded stepchild" and won by a landslide. Which tells you what most of America thought, and quite rightly so I might add, about the Clinton scandal. Whereas, in the current climate, rife with scandal, dominated by corruption, the American people clearly see the grave nature of the accusations against the administration. In doing the research to find these links, I find that my faith in the intelligence of the American public, has been restored to some extent. They are not fooled by this administration's smokescreens, nor were they fooled by republican witch hunts back then. Too bad the democrats led by that spineless and toothless cunt Pelosi, can't seem to stomach actually forcing out the truth, and seeing these scumbags brought to justice.

spike

Gonzalez was investigated for a non-crime...what they call a perjury-trap.

Clinton was investigated for a non-crime.

Gonzales was investigated because he fired attorneys for political reasons, gave the White House political team unprecedented power to intercede in the affairs of the Justice Department, allowed his department to illegally hire attorneys based in part on their loyalty to the Republican Party and the Bush administration, dissembled and misled about the administration’s spying activities, and lied in stating that all Bush appointees would be Senate-confirmed.

but when no less than 6 women came forward with allegations

Compared to the far greater number of people with allegations against Gonzales.

he knew, especially as a lawyer, especially as POTUS, not to lie about anything.

As Mark said, Gonzales as chief law officer, shouldn't know better?

You're really showing some blatant hypocrisy here. You know that right?