• Yes

Votes: 16 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Janimal

Are you superstitious? And if so, what about? Got a lucky charm? A ritual you do before the big game? Post 'em here!

Psycho

I don't believe in those kind of things at all, things happen because they do, not because it's some kind of special day which some wacko declared a few hundred years ago...

kuulani

My superstitions, which are based on my culture, are:

1. No whistling at night
2. No cutting hair/nails at night
3. No sweeping at night

{geez ... night time is spooky}

4. No bragging/talking about catching fish or you'll come home empty-handed.
5. Don't say the word "rain", lest it come

yup ... you can say i'm superstitious.

Jeslek

Banned
kuulani said:

1. No whistling at night
3. No sweeping at night

Hm interesting. Questions:

1) Would it offend you or bother you if someone does any of those, say whistling at night?

2) Can you explain a bit why those are there? What the cultural beliefs are?

nalani

kuulani said:

1. No whistling at night
3. No sweeping at night

I'll just add a few to that list:

6. No sitting on tables (that's more of "proper decorum" rather than superstition)
7. No wearing red to the beach.
8. No wearing of leis or necklaces whilst pregnant
9. If you're pregnant and you have a craving, you HAVE to adhere to the craving.
10. Don't say "I'm going fishing" or "I'm going hunting"
11. No taking bananas to the beach when you plan to fish.

Jeslek

Banned
I hope I won't offend you, but that is a little odd for me... Why no bananas to the beach when you go fishing? ?(

kuulani

LastLegionary said:
.Hm interesting. Questions:

1) Would it offend you or bother you if someone does any of those, say whistling at night?

2) Can you explain a bit why those are there? What the cultural beliefs are?

It wouldn't offend me if you whistled at night ... it's not your belief. It would phreak the hell out of me though. The night belongs to "the others", whistling calls them :eek:

The cutting nails/hair thing has something to do with the fact that nails and hair are "bait" ... something like voodoo I guess :shrug:

I forget about the sweeping, I just got scolded enough as a kid, so I don't do it. :shrug:

Hawaiians believe talking about fish before you're going to get them jinxes you, the fish will know you're coming and hide. We never say we're "going fishing".

Same thing with "rain" I guess, if you say it, it's a jinx and it'll happen.

Jeslek

Banned
*whistles to the undead relatives staring at him in the darkness under the moon* :D

Very very interesting beliefs though... Very fascinating. I never knew that.

nalani

6. No sitting on tables (that's more of "proper decorum" rather than superstition)

-the basic of this "rule" is because this is where you put your food and your ass shouldn't be where you put your food (there is also a deeper meaning to this)

7. No wearing red to the beach.

-wearing this color to the beach denotes a particular lesser deitie's family and unless you are of his family, you should not presume to wear that color to the beach.

8. No wearing of leis or necklaces whilst pregnant

-many cultures have this same belief .. the cord may go around the child's neck and choke him/her whilst in the uterus.

9. If you're pregnant and you have a craving, you HAVE to adhere to the craving.

-the child you are carrying could be a great person (mighty chief) and you should never deny a great person.

10. Don't say "I'm going fishing" or "I'm going hunting"

-saying words makes things happen. If you say it, they will hear you .. and you won't have any luck. You should also not ask a person, especially if it's obvious that they are going fishing or hunting "where are you going?" ... it's not only bad luck, but pretty stoopid :D

11. No taking bananas to the beach when you plan to fish.

-I forget where this comes from but it has to do with you not being able to catch any fish ... ku'u, do you recall where this came from?

nalani

LastLegionary said:
If I go to Hawai'i, should I also avoid wearing red on beaches? Will it scare the people away?

likeku'u said .. it's not your belief .. plus, you're not Hawaiian .. it pertains really to Hawaiian families ...

however, if you ever came here, I wouldn't recommend taking any rocks home :eek: