Fuel Consumption/Car type

Aunty Em

Try sitting still for 30 minutes... :(

I avoid the optimistically named "rush" hour... more like "crush" or snail pace if you ask me...

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Try sitting still for 30 minutes... :(

Yeah, I've had that. I think the longest I've been stuck in traffic without moving a cm is 2 hours. I put the handbrake but left the engine on 'cause I NEEDED the AC.

K62

It would take me a longgg time to get used to heavy traffic. The only time we really get suck in traffic here is if there is road work or an accident.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
It would take me a longgg time to get used to heavy traffic. The only time we really get suck in traffic here is if there is road work or an accident.

I've been driving heavy traffic for over 4 months now...I guess you could say I'm "used to it" in the sense that I've come to accept that it's a fact of life as long as I'm commuting and no longer get stressed out if I run into a back up of traffic...but I have NOT accepted it as a permenant staple in my life and am looking to move ASAP

Sharky

K62 said:

Same here. It's 36 miles from Vernon to Panama City, and all but the last 10 miles are rural. It takes me about 45 minutes.

1997 Chevy C1500 Silverado avg. 17 mpg

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS avg. 27 mpg

chcr

Too cute for words
Same here. It's 36 miles from Vernon to Panama City, and all but the last 10 miles are rural. It takes me about 45 minutes.

Really? It's about thirty miles from here to Nashville. The first five or so are semi-rural. Most of the rest is interstate. It takes me about half an hour.

Sharky

Really? It's about thirty miles from here to Nashville. The first five or so are semi-rural. Most of the rest is interstate. It takes me about half an hour.

I pretty much stick to the speed limit (55, with a 5 mile stretch of 65), and the last 10 miles are 45 with one stoplight after another, and they aren't synchronized. From Lynn Haven to downtown you rarely get to go faster than 35 between lights. :shrug:

Aunty Em

Yeah, I've had that. I think the longest I've been stuck in traffic without moving a cm is 2 hours. I put the handbrake but left the engine on 'cause I NEEDED the AC.

Yeah that's happened to me before now... I live to the east of the town and there's only 2 routes out of the town centre, so when you get an accident or a breakdown it's hell. :(

K62

27mpg in a Grand Marquis?! Wow. That's impressive.

What do the newer ones have in em, anyways?

Sharky

27mpg in a Grand Marquis?! Wow. That's impressive.

What do the newer ones have in em, anyways?

Yeah, I was surprised. Its not bad for a rear-wheel-drive V8 land yacht.

The LS has a 4.6 SOHC V8. It's sweet - silky smooth, and it pulls that 4000# car effortlessly. The gas mileage is decent because the overdrive is pretty tall. It doesn't have a tach, but when the overdrive is engaged it sounds like it's idling at 60 mph. Plus, I keep a couple pounds more than the door sticker calls for in the tires.

Also, there aren't many hills around here. Once you come out of the Sand Hills around Vernon it's flat as a pool table all the way to the beach.

chcr

Too cute for words
I pretty much stick to the speed limit (55, with a 5 mile stretch of 65), and the last 10 miles are 45 with one stoplight after another, and they aren't synchronized. From Lynn Haven to downtown you rarely get to go faster than 35 between lights. :shrug:

Ahh. The interstate is seventy until you get well into Nashville.

Altron

I was thinking "Damn, 45 gallons, that's twice the size of my tank" until I realized that it was 45L and it's actually half the size of my tank.

I just found the best road ever. Route 55.

It's a two lane road with NO COPS. Traffic is light, and most cars kept to the right lane.

Is there a way to find out of my car has a governer?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I was thinking "Damn, 45 gallons, that's twice the size of my tank" until I realized that it was 45L and it's actually half the size of my tank.

I just found the best road ever. Route 55.

It's a two lane road with NO COPS. Traffic is light, and most cars kept to the right lane.

Is there a way to find out of my car has a governer?

So by "two lane road" you mean "two lanes in each direction" and thus "four lane road" oh and every road has a cop on it at SOME point, maybe not regularly but at some point there WILL be a cop somewher eon that road.

Inkara1

I can guarantee the Oldsmobile has no speed governor other than wind resistance. Those work by cutting off the fuel to the engine until you get back below the speed, and there's not a way to do that easily with a carburetor.

Altron

Yeah, it did sound a bit windier.

I'm thinking that the speed I was doing yesterday is probably the fastest I should take it. The engine wasn't working extremely hard, but it seemed to have a hard time going over what I was doing, no matter how much throttle I gave it.

It was a surprisingly smooth ride at that speed tho.. I wonder if I could do better with a nosecone. Except for wind noise, the ride was nice and smooth, not like in those little four-bangers where they rock back and forth if you take it over 65.

Luis G

Staff member
It was a surprisingly smooth ride at that speed tho.. I wonder if I could do better with a nosecone. Except for wind noise, the ride was nice and smooth, not like in those little four-bangers where they rock back and forth if you take it over 65.

Dude, 65mph is like 4th gear at 3000rpm, I still have a 5th one :lol:

Altron

I'm reinforcing anti-four-cylinder stereotypes here. I took the Mazda past 90mph without any problems, and it was a four banger, and a beater too. Sawhney says that his scooby gets really rough after 70. Boat is smooth until a little past 100.

Luis G

Staff member
I'm reinforcing anti-four-cylinder stereotypes here. I took the Mazda past 90mph without any problems, and it was a four banger, and a beater too. Sawhney says that his scooby gets really rough after 70. Boat is smooth until a little past 100.

I've never taken mine over 170km/h, but it felt really smooth. Not that I like to drive the engine at over 3500rpm, the only time I need that much power is on a hill.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I can guarantee the Oldsmobile has no speed governor other than wind resistance. Those work by cutting off the fuel to the engine until you get back below the speed, and there's not a way to do that easily with a carburetor.

Not all of them. Some are on the throttle cable. Keep the rev's down and you will keep the speed down. ;)