Fuel Consumption/Car type

Inkara1

15 miles to the gallon sounds about right for a V8 Dakota. Those fuel economy estimates are generally worthless, unless Canada has a better standard than the US.

A.B.Normal

Inkara1 said:
15 miles to the gallon sounds about right for a V8 Dakota. Those fuel economy estimates are generally worthless, unless Canada has a better standard than the US.

mines the 3.9 V6 and I drive mostly ,if not entirely hwy.Depends on your definition of hwy,to and from work 50=60mph 10pm going 630am return so no traffic to speak of, so I get all green lights .

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
A.B.Normal said:
Well ,Google seems off,using my trucks window sticker I should be getting 12.8L per 100km = 22mpg hwy,google says that conversion is (12.8 litres) per (100 km) = 18.3761394 miles per gallon.Its off on the City driving Mpg to,so I wouldn't trust googles results too much.The only thing I can think of to explain the descrepency is the size difference between US (google ) gallons and Imperial Gallons,but since most of the US Dodge Dakota owners on the Trucks forums I frequent are getting the same MPG as me ,I tend t believe google isn't reliable.

[edit since Luis reponse] Most of the US Dakota owners use ther own math and that of the on board computer (if so equipt) to arrive at the same #s as I .

Luis can you calculate (if you have that info) if your cars manufacturers l/100km =mpg is correct acccording to Google.

If you're calculating MPG from L/100km you should be using US gallons since you're comparing to people in the US and they use US gallons.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Even if noone else cares I'm gonna continue to use this as my tracking location.

Down to 8.4 and then 8.3 L/100km yesterday!

Altron

Oh, well if you want to get started, I'm taking a 60 mile or so highway trip. I'll measure mileage during that. Probably break 15mpg.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Altron said:
Oh, well if you want to get started, I'm taking a 60 mile or so highway trip. I'll measure mileage during that. Probably break 15mpg.

But that would be pure highway mileage, not over all mileage.

Inkara1

I actually got 18 miles to the gallon for one of the tanks on the trip to Reno in the Fairlane today. That's a record for that car... by almost a full mile per gallon.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Since I've tracked so much here already...today is my first service appointment.

*wipes a tear* Baby's first oil change.

06011bg.gif

Inkara1

Until I can get the windshield fixed, I've been borrowing the parents' spare car, a 1989 Lincoln Continental. After coming home from covering a football game in Arroyo Grande, I found out that the car will pull the Cuesta Grade at 75 and, according to the trip computer (which actually still works), get nine miles to the gallon doing it. The Cuesta Grade is three miles of eight percent grade just north of San Luis Obispo, if anyone's wondering.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
It seems my car likes to be driven fast, 'cause now it is at 8.5l/100km and I'm not being nice in any way with the gas pedal :lol:

Altron

Is there a problem with carbureters and hills?

The reason I ask is that the car seems to be considerably slower uphill. I mean, I understand how I'm converting my 1/2mv^2 into mgh, but it seems like I really need to push to get it uphill. The fuel injected mazda seemed to have an easier time. I mean, the Mazda did weigh half as much, but it also had less than half the displacement. The speed increase I get going downhill doesn't seem to be as significant as the speed decrease going uphill, although, it's only a very arbitrary and imprecise measurement.

And, when my friend saw that the 307 had a Q-jet and none of that "EFI" shit, he was like "Hills must be a bitch with that thing."

And, referring back to my shop manual, it does work with four barrels creating a vortex, which might not function as well at a weird angle (I figure that there's gotta be a reason why the carb's always on top. FI seems to work fine on the side, or the back, or the top, or the front, basically anywhere on the motor. Carb is always sitting right on top.)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Fuel injection uses computarized intake of fuel. So you press the gas pedal a bit and the computer computes how much gas is necessary to inject to give you the feel of certain accelearation.

On a carburated machine, there's no such thing, so if you want to go as fast on a hill as you do on a flat road you need to push it further.

K62

I just drive from Nashua, New Hampshire to my house in Saint John, New Brunswick a few weeks ago.

Made it on one tank, it was a bit over 650km and I burnt 42L. Not bad, eh? I would have done even better but I got stuck on a section of the highway for about 45min in 1st - 2nd gear.

The car is a 2001 Toyota Corolla, 5spd with a 1.8L engine.

K62

A good site to find the EPA ratings for cars is www.fueleconomy.gov

It rates my car at 5.6L/100km or 41mpg (highway) Slightly better that what I usually get, but I shift high sometimes ;)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I just drive from Nashua, New Hampshire to my house in Saint John, New Brunswick a few weeks ago.

Made it on one tank, it was a bit over 650km and I burnt 42L. Not bad, eh? I would have done even better but I got stuck on a section of the highway for about 45min in 1st - 2nd gear.

The car is a 2001 Toyota Corolla, 5spd with a 1.8L engine.

That is impressive!

I believe my tank is 45L and I usually get 550km/tank sometimes a bit more...my mileage is shot to shit again now though cause I've had brutal traffic for about a month going to and from work.