Fuel Consumption/Car type

Professur

Nixy said:
I dunno...I found that the caprice we used to have (87) didn't have any support and while it was nice to get all comfy while a passanger as a driver it sucked. I was in my mom's car last night (as a passanger) and DAMN I now see what she's been bitching about uncomfortable...mine is higher and has more back support, I never feel sore when I get home from work.

Trust me when I say, I know of what I speak. I've been seriously thinking about getting an old Celebrity bench for the van to replace the front buckets.

Aunty Em

One of the reasons I bought my car is cos of how comfortable it is. The amount of legroom, the supportive seat and the fact that I don't get strangled by the seatbelt makes driving it a pleasure... it was the only small car I tried, and I tried at least 10 or 15, where I didn't get cramp from the seating position and the belt went round me with several inches to spare as standard and that is saying something. Even my 6 foot eight and nine brother's can get in it and drive it comfortably. Being economical was just a bonus. If I still had one of my old cars I wouldn't be able to drive it at the moment because it would take to much physical effort. :)

It's shocking how little stamina I have at the moment and driving more than 35 - 40 miles on a motorway in a day just kills me. 10 miles around town in traffic is enough to leave me completely exhausted the next day. The mobility scooter is an absolute godsend, because it takes far less effort to drive it. I love my car and I love driving, but I just can't do a lot of it right now.

All I did today was go to pick up my car from it's MOT and service and then go grocery shopping. After I put everything away I sat down to watch the England/Trinidad and Tobago game and promptly fell asleep! I didn't wake up till it was all over. I never, ever used to fall asleep in front of the TV, now I do it all the time... and that's after getting at least 8 hours sleep last night. :(

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Altron said:
I can't stand high-up seats. Mine are all in all, probably sixteen inches off the ground. That's the way it should be. Not like those trucks where the seats are two feet or more off the ground.

That's a matter of preference...I HATE feeling like I'm sitting on the ground.

Altron

I hate the feeling that I'm sitting high up. The cornering sucks all the way up there. Low center of gravity = less chance of flipping the car and better handling. The wagon's center of gravity is about 18" off the ground, by my estimate. The engine and transmission are very low, being carbureted the engine sits lower because instead of a wimpy fuel injector on top there's a big carburetor and a snorkel, meaning that the intake manifold is a good 6" below the hood, and the hood is only about 30" off the ground. The crankshaft itself is a bare 8" off the pavement. The big transmission is also at that height, along with the really big axle (it's like 3" thick solid steel) and the really strong and heavy frame (4"x6" steel beams, absolutely no frame twisting whatsoever despite all the torque coming out of the Olds V8)

Inkara1

You'd be surprised how much twisting that frame actually does. It's not a real twist machine, but it will twist some.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
DUDE! TWO milestones today!!

The car rolled over 2000 clicks (although I've driven it just over 1700 since I got it) AND my avg fuel consumption dropped to 8.9 L/100km!

Inkara1

I topped off the freon in my car's A/C this last weekend. It was fairly cold before, but now it's a little colder. It's tempting to take my laptop out to the car, see if the wireless will come in there, and sit in the car with the A/C on. :D

HomeLAN

Nixy said:
DUDE! TWO milestones today!!

The car rolled over 2000 clicks (although I've driven it just over 1700 since I got it) AND my avg fuel consumption dropped to 8.9 L/100km!

So, right around 27 MPG? Not too bad.

Inkara1

For around-town, stop-and-go driving, that's not too bad. That's about what I'm getting in the Neon these days in mixed driving, and I certainly don't drive like there's an egg under my foot.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I haven't been being cautious as much anymore. I don't drive like a maniac but I don't hold back on acceleration like I was for the first 1000km or so.

Oh, and it dropped to 8.8L/100km today. If I could find a man that made me even half as happy on a daily basis as my car does I'd be one lucky girl.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
So you want a man who can take you places and is easy on the gas?

I don't need a man to take me places. That's what I've got the job and the car for.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I swear, if that future man of mine doesn't hurry up and find me he may not beable to compete with my car...it's getting more and more difficult all the time. Down to 8.7 L/100km today.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member

But the better comparison is that my car is rated at 8.3 L/100km for mixed driving...I do mized driving daily, often in traffic and I'm getting 8.7 :D