Gardening chat, anyone?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
:) Anyone interested? I have a small vegetable patch, a few flower beds (around the front of the house type thing) and a bunch of fencelines I have to fill this year, and I REALLY want to know how to get rid of tomato rust. I HATE tomato rust!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
sure, why not. no time at this momnet, hafta earn the daily bread and all that crap (as well as get past newbie status).

I just started my peppers & tomates, inside, planted some brocolli (maybe they'll beat the heat) & can't wait for some fresh salsa.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
The chives I stupidly planted last year are popping up and spread everywhere AARGH! Starting my seeds this weekend, here we can't plant outdoors because of frost until May two-four, so now is about right I think. Peppers, beans, peas, tomatoes, pumpkins cause they're fun, and cucumber. Haven't done peppers before so this will be a first. Some of my flowers from last year are blooming because of the heat wave. :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I've got 3 or 4 clumps of onion & garlic chives. They are easy to divide, so let 'em spread.

Our target date is 05/15 but I usually wait until 06/01. Kentucky Pole beans, Diva cucumbers, Annie Oakly II okra, Jackpot zucchini get planted right after the tomatoes & peppes go in. I missed the spring pea planting, but will try them in fall.

If you like HOT peppers, about a month before harvesting, mistreat them- little or no water & they'll get hotter & vice versa.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Gonz
If you like HOT peppers, about a month before harvesting, mistreat them- little or no water & they'll get hotter & vice versa.
Thanks for the tip!

I haven't done the big garden centre shopping trip, don't know what I'll select as far as breeds, gonna get the biggest honkin' sunflower breed I can find though :D The max 3 foot ones grew to 6 feet last year, I'm curious to see how big the really big ones get!

Last year I went straight from seed to garden, haven't started from seed before, decided to do it this year to get a longer harvest period. Hoping it works out. Think I might try an herb garden too (the legal kind), it'd be nice to have fresh parsley and oregano.

Okra is one thing I've never had. Have to make a point of trying it sometime.

Mephisto

Furtilizing is an important aspect of gardening, isn't it?
So, what is your favourite furtilizing technique?

unclehobart

Simple Miracle Grow plant food for fertilizing. It works on eyerything and fairly cheap as well.

I'm just a houseplant boy. The only garden I have is a windowsil box with dill and rosemary.

Mephisto

btw, my post was meant as a daring sexual allusion!
Oh well, it didn't work, but that's not a problem, since I'm asexual anyway! :rolleyes:

greenfreak

*ahem* Unc, you have more than just Dill. You should rephrase for fear of giving your beautiful Coleus a complex. ;)

I have lots of stuff, mostly flowers in the house. I just cut 8 of my orange and purple tulips this morning and they're on my desk next to me now. Such happy little flowers, tulips are. :D

unclehobart

I separated the concepts of garden vs. plants. The theme this was taking seemed to focus on edible stuff. We can leave the coleus farm for another day.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I see I can learn a lot from you, greenfreak :)

This was just a general thread, I mentioned flower gardens and sunflowers so if the coleus is crying, it could be cited here.

Make that 2 for Miracle Grow. Zoo Poo is neat, too. :cool:

greenfreak

Oh yea I forgot about fertilizer. I just bought some for my Canna Lillies that I'm trying to grow for the first time and it was a general bulb thingy. Used it for my tulips too, we'll see if it works.

I also use Miracle Gro for the houseplants. My Coleus, Pointsettia, Impatiens and Pothos Ivy love it.

Btw Leslie, thanks for that compliment about learning from me, but I don't know all that much. I make sure I know as much as possible about what I have and grow, but as far as anything else, I'm clueless.

A good gardening message board: GardenWeb

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I haven't even got as far as learning about what I grow yet. The flowers blooming in the garden today I have no idea what they are (dug them out of mom's garden, she doesn't remember). I plan to go get a book.

I have lots I planted last year that ought to come up again, bluebells, primroses, 2 types of poppies, and I am hoping that the wildflower seed mix I sprinkled last year contained some that will come back.

So it's off to the garden centre this weekend to pick what I'm doing this year, and hubby has only till May two-four to get the soil turned. That's a not fun outside job so I class it as man work like the garbage :D

greenfreak

Uh oh. BEWARE OF THE PRIMROSE. It's more invasive than weeds, I heard. I have only one, in a pot. I heard it's very hard to keep them controlled so I hope you like them! :D

All the information I know I learned online. Depending on the kind of sunlight you have and what you want, there's tons of advice on GardenWeb.

I personally love New Guinea Impatiens--the foliage is almost as nice as the flowers. But they're annuals unless you bring them inside when it gets cold. They dry out quick too so if you have a partially shady area, they would look gorgeous.

Impatiens

Let me know what you get at the nursery. I love this stuff!

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
:eek: I DIDN'T KNOW THAT ABOUT PRIMROSES :eek:

They're not spreading yet, I will watch them very closely though. Idiot hubby bought and planted hens and chickens last year when I wasn't here. :mad2: They will be everywhere too. His mom had them so apparently I need to have them too. :rolleyes: I looked at Impatiens last year, maybe will look on the weekend.

Thanks for the links, hubby and I (he likes this stuff too thank goodness) will look and learn together (ok it's sappy but after 14 years you have to really work to find stuff lol)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Justintime
I got no garden to speak of :D

To speak of - are you not speaking about the hydroponic one in your closet? (where is the suspicious smile when you need it) :D lol

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Home-made fertilizer
fart.gif

:headbang: